Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Washington Wizards 2010-2011 Ongoing Thread

Other Sports

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 AM   #31
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Washington Wizards 2010-2011 Ongoing Thread

I hope Leonis realizes that in the NBA you have to do more then build through the draft. In fact more times then not acquiring veteran talent is what wins championships. You look at the Celtics who did a complete turnaround by acquiring free agents and trading for veterans in exchange for a guy like Al Jefferson. The Lakers also tried to just go through the draft but weren't able to get back to playing championship caliber basketball until they brought in Pau Gasol.

The only NBA team I can think of in recent memory that successfully built through the draft was the Bulls and that was only good enough to get to the second round (Gordon, Heinrich, Deng, Nochioni, Tyrus Thomas). Then again one needn't forget the Hawks (Hofford, Smith, Williams).

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 06-11-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Advertisements
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #32
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Rebrand coming (hopefully)?

Return to Bullets? HOEPFULLY!

Looks like Ted is at least returning to the red/white/blue scheme with his mention of cross-marketing with the Caps at the Verizon Center. Since the Caps already tried and trashed the blue/gold/black color scheme and returned to their proper colors, I don't see the Caps going to the Wizards' color scheme again...rather, the other way around.

An Important Message from Ted Leonsis
Quote:
Dear Caps Fan,

By now you have probably heard the news that my partners and I have completed our purchase of the Washington Wizards and Verizon Center and created a new company – Monumental Sports & Entertainment – that owns those entities as well as the Capitals and the Mystics.

You’re likely to see and hear more from me on this news in the coming days – in the media, on my blog (Teds Take), at the NBA Draft. It’s big news, and something my partners, my family and I are very excited about.

But I’m here to assure you that even if you hear me talking about the Wizards a lot, I haven’t – and never will – overlook the Capitals and our commitment to bring a Stanley Cup to Washington. I will continue to be focused on your well being and happiness.

A few people have asked how I expect to juggle these new responsibilities. I believe I’ve always been someone with great “bandwidth” to cover a variety of interests, including different companies, film projects and, foremost, my family. The Wizards will have a place in those interests, no bigger or smaller than the Caps – just as I don’t choose between my son and my daughter!

The creation of Monumental actually creates opportunities that I hope Capitals fans are excited about. We now program Verizon Center and we hope to be able to offer terrific new cross-marketing opportunities to our fans. We plan to continue to improve the fan experience at Verizon Center and will count on your feedback to do so. And we will over-index on scheduling and maintenance-oriented projects related to all of your teams.

Thanks as always for your support, and I will see you at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the Caps Convention and Verizon Center in the upcoming months. And I’m always available to you at washingtoncaps@aol.com.

Sincerely,

Ted Leonsis
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Washington Momuments maybe? (Monumental Sports & Entertainment)

Anything would be better than the name "Wizards".
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #34
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Buster,

You're right about the colors changing, and based on Leonsis's statements, it will likely happen for the 2011-12 season. In an ealier blog post talking about all his Wizards-related tasks for this summer he sad the following:

Quote:
With all of that going on understanding that to effectuate a name change could take two to three years. This simply isn’t a priority for us right now. We can’t change the name of the team for next season. It is June and the new season starts in October. There will be no name change. We can’t change the name. It is pretty simple.

We can change the colors more easily than the name. We will look into that as part of an overall brand uplift and updating project. That could happen as soon as the following season, but NOTHING new can happen next season. It is too late in the off season to have any changes at all. I am sorry but schedules and production of materials etc. are set years ahead of time.
Some Clarity « Teds Take

Man, what a great owner. I've always admired his openness with Caps fans, but I'm not a big hockey fan, so I haven't followed him very closely. As a Wiz fan I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Lots of rumors swirling with the Wizards with the draft just a few hours away. Verbal agreement in place to send Kirk Hinrich and the Bulls #17 to the Wizards (don't know what we're giving up); lot of buzz about Nick Young being traded tonight as well, and apparently Josh Childress may be offered a contract
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #36
Warren85Ellard
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Lots of rumors swirling with the Wizards with the draft just a few hours away. Verbal agreement in place to send Kirk Hinrich and the Bulls #17 to the Wizards (don't know what we're giving up); lot of buzz about Nick Young being traded tonight as well, and apparently Josh Childress may be offered a contract
I heard that we're just giving up a future 2nd round pick for Hinrich and a #17. Sounds like a win for the Wizards. Apparently we're helping the Bulls clear up a lot of salary space by taking Hinrich. We're also not going to bring Randy Foye back. It looks like we gave up last year's #5 overall for Mike Miller and a year of Randy Foye. That pick could have been used on Stephon Curry or Brandon Jennings... Yikes! Why do we still have Arenas? Anyways, I'm excited about the upcoming season. Three first rounders and an early second round pick! Even if it is the Wizards that we're talking about, at least one of those players has to work out for us. Hopefully they all do!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #37
GMScud
Swearinger

Sources: Chicago Bulls to send Kirk Hinrich, No. 17 to Washington Wizards - ESPN Chicago
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

2010 NBA draft: Washington Wizards select John Wall at No. 1 - ESPN
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #39
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

So does the trade with Chicago mean that the Wiz get this French guy? I'm so confused.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #40
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
So those the trade with Chicago mean that the Wiz get this French guy? I'm so confused.
I think so, but I'm just not a fan of drafting European players. Seems like they never pan out. There a few exceptions (Nowitzki, Gasol), but not many.

I'm assuming if it's a "good faith" deal that this Frenchy was Ernie Grunfeld's choice, but I'd like the deal a lot better if the 17th pick wasn't from overseas.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #41
itvnetop
Playmaker

I like the Seraphin pick a lot... he's got more build than McGee and he's a beast on the defensive end. We needed a replacement for Haywood (looking at the long-term plan... meaning I don't expect this kid to produce for a few years) and McGee is too inconsistent (and skinny) to do that right now.

Hoping Pondexter falls to 30.

my blather
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #42
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren85Ellard View Post
We're also not going to bring Randy Foye back. It looks like we gave up last year's #5 overall for Mike Miller and a year of Randy Foye. That pick could have been used on Stephon Curry or Brandon Jennings...
Well when you put it that way hahahaha...

Seriously, if we draft either Jennings or Curry last year we may very well have possibly had a different record. Which would have meant a different combination of lotto balls- which equals no J. Wall.

my blather
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #43
itvnetop
Playmaker

Eh, not sold on that Trevor Booker trade for our last two picks... undersized 4.

my blather
Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #44
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Eh, not sold on that Trevor Booker trade for our last two picks... undersized 4.
I concur. Pretty disappointing IMO.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I like the Seraphin pick a lot... he's got more build than McGee and he's a beast on the defensive end. We needed a replacement for Haywood (looking at the long-term plan... meaning I don't expect this kid to produce for a few years) and McGee is too inconsistent (and skinny) to do that right now.

Hoping Pondexter falls to 30.
Leonsis had said he wanted to put a greater emphasis on scouting European players (which is interesting because when MJ took over he said the same thing after seeing we had no one scouting Euro players). Still, I'm not a fan of this move. Part of me thinks there's got to be more to this. As in, Seraphin is going somewhere else. But, word is it's a salary cap move for 2012. How? I don't really know

As for Booker, I like Booker but why trade the 30th and 35th for him? Once you get into the 20-30 range I don't think there's much difference in the players. I would have held on to those two picks try to stockpile.

John Wall is a great pick, and I like Hinrich a lot but right now I'm not sure what to think of the other two choices.