Re: No NHL this year

Makes my job easier.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #17
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

i miss hockey...but i can certainly live without it...

with the deadline less than 30 minutes away, looks like it will stay lights out for hockey.

matty - the first i had heard of the players accepting a salary cap was monday...that had been the biggest obstacle both sides faced throughout this whole ordeal.

NASCAR will be the 4th major sport...Golf doesn't have enough of a following, and there aren't any other sports competing for major network viewing than these 2...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #18
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Skinsfan
in terms of attendance wouldn't it be nascar. but i would like to think is is pga. someday i would really like to see mls make it into the fourth spot but who are we kidding.

You're right in terms of attendance. When you look at fan base, Nascar is #2 overall..... and is about to pass the NFL within the next I belive its five years. I dont know what you want to consider the major sports, but both Golf and Nascar are ahead of hockey right now. If Golf keeps going the way it is, it will defintley compete a little bit too. Maybe they should change it to the big five lol... hockey a distant 6th.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Although I wont miss it too much I watch it sometimes. My question is who is to blame after watching Bettmans press conference I think the players are being unfair. They refused to look at the books to see how much they are losing each year. The season would of been cool this year with a 28 game schedule like they talked about. They would of played hard every game. Not that they dont already but they would of had an every game counts mentality.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #20
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins fan 44
Although I wont miss it too much I watch it sometimes. My question is who is to blame after watching Bettmans press conference I think the players are being unfair. They refused to look at the books to see how much they are losing each year. The season would of been cool this year with a 28 game schedule like they talked about. They would of played hard every game. Not that they dont already but they would of had an every game counts mentality.

In all honesty, if there was hockey, I was going to follow the hell out of it because I think a 28 game schedule would be awsome! Oh well though, the best pro hockey team is right here in ROCHESTER, NY, baby!!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I like that sports blog you got going on Gmanc, when are you starting your Full House blog?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #22
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
I like that sports blog you got going on Gmanc, when are you starting your Full House blog?

I used to have one, but I maxed out the bandwith because I was updating it every thirty seconds. When Steve came back to take DJ to the prom, I was so excited and wrote so many four letter words, they had no choice but to remove me, LOL!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #23
wolfeskins
The Starter

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie]NASCAR will be the 4th major sport...

i don't consider nascar a sport. am i alone in this, i argue with my bro-in-law all the time about this.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #24
Cush
Impact Rookie

Guess I'm the only hockey fan here
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #25
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie
NASCAR will be the 4th major sport...

i don't consider nascar a sport. am i alone in this, i argue with my bro-in-law all the time about this.
I honestly don't see it as a sport but there sure r a lot of people out there who will defend it being deemed a sport very strongly. It's a skill in my opinion but not a sport and there r quite a few other "sports" that fit that category in my opinion.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:34 PM   #26
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins

I honestly don't see it as a sport but there sure r a lot of people out there who will defend it being deemed a sport very strongly. It's a skill in my opinion but not a sport and there r quite a few other "sports" that fit that category in my opinion.

here we go with the skill vs. sport argument again. driving a car is a skill, yes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a sport. if that were the case then hitting a 90 mph fastball is a skill not a sport. tennis, golf and bowling would no longerbe considered a sport.

basically what i am saying is that there are a lot of skills involved in sports so you can't say one is a skill and one is a sport. different skills make up a sport. hitting a curveball, returning a 120 mph serve, hitting a fairway wood to the dead center of a green 200 yards away, kicking a ball with a backward spin around a wall into the top right corner of a goal, a slapshot from outside the blue line into the top left corner of a goal. without any of these skills, we wouldn't have really have much of a sport to talk about.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #27
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

i see it this way...

i agree with NY_Skinsfan...sports are made up of a series of skills put together. not just one skill will excel you in any one sport. car racing is the same thing, and i would classify it as a team sport. without those guys in the pits, the driver is utterly lost. the driver must have the ability to not only drive the car for long distances, but also tell him pit crew what needs to be done to the car. the pit crew must be able to quickly make whatever changes that need to be done, and the crew chief must be able to plan out the race perfectly in order to put his driver out in front when it matters most.

oh, and i'm a hockey fan, who will gladly watch it when it starts up again...i may not go to another game for a while, but to me, it's one more thing that keeps me glued to the tv and not doing chores around the house

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #28
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

[QUOTE=NY_Skinsfan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru

here we go with the skill vs. sport argument again. driving a car is a skill, yes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a sport. if that were the case then hitting a 90 mph fastball is a skill not a sport. tennis, golf and bowling would no longerbe considered a sport.

basically what i am saying is that there are a lot of skills involved in sports so you can't say one is a skill and one is a sport. different skills make up a sport. hitting a curveball, returning a 120 mph serve, hitting a fairway wood to the dead center of a green 200 yards away, kicking a ball with a backward spin around a wall into the top right corner of a goal, a slapshot from outside the blue line into the top left corner of a goal. without any of these skills, we wouldn't have really have much of a sport to talk about.
a lot of the sports u r using in your argument of skill vs sport use a heck of a lot more physical talents than what u wrote. Baseball is not just about hitting a ball cuz there's a heck of a lot of actual running around to do as well. Same thing goes for tennis, hockey, and especially soccer, I mean have u seen how freakin huge pro and olympic size fields r? Golf is the only one I agree with and I don't necessarily consider it a sport either. It's basically great vision and training yourself to have a consistent swing and a strong putting game. Sure they walk around a lot but I hope no one tells me walking is a sport now, it's an activity. The same goes for bowling, which I love and have religiously played for years. It's not a sport but the training of the body to move your body in a precise motion every time. It's a lot harder to do well consistently than some people imagine but its still not as physically demanding as sports like football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and others. And nascar IMO is guys driving around in a circle for a long time really fast. It requires u to have great concentration and some decent endurance and I personally don't understand how it gets deemed a sport by some.
Of course that's just how I feel on the subject and there will always be a discussion and debate similar to this cuz everyone's personal definition isn't 100% like the person next to them.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #29
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

first of all, i never said that baseball was just hitting a ball. I know there is a lot more to baseball. the point that i was trying to convey was that a sport is not just something that is physically demanding. a sport requires a set of skills. yes, some sports are more physically demanding than others but that doesn't make those less demanding less of a sport. i just don't understand the point of separating the activitities into sports and nonsports. they all require different levels skills at different levels of physical activity. and if you ask any nascar driver out there, i guarantee you they will say that their sport is very physically demanding.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #30
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush
Guess I'm the only hockey fan here

No, dude, I'm just still too upsety to even talk about it.

I'm a Red Wings fan and the thought of Shanny, Stevie Y and others just fading into the sunset instead of going out in a blaze sickens me. :vomit-smi
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote