Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Alex Smith Cut (update: retired)

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #46
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,617
Re: Alex Smith Cut

https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1367899313515487233

I just came in here to share this, I thought it was an apt analogy lol.

Thanks for everything Alex.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #47
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,809
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1367899313515487233

I just came in here to share this, I thought it was an apt analogy lol.

Thanks for everything Alex.
lol, nothing solves a problem quite like a boot to the chin
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #48
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,483
Re: Alex Smith Cut

I am curious how much truth there is to RR's statement. He said the team granted Alex's request to be released. I'm not so certain Alex asked for the release...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #49
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,617
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I am curious how much truth there is to RR's statement. He said the team granted Alex's request to be released. I'm not so certain Alex asked for the release...
If you're gonna say something like that back it up with some evidence or something.

I think both parties were in agreement to move on.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #50
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,809
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Once Alex was told he would have no assurances of being the starter, he very well could have asked for his release. Or maybe both sides agreed it would look best on paper if he asked for his release vs the team cutting him. Either way its semantics really, who cares. Everyone saw it coming.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #51
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,483
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Once Alex was told he would have no assurances of being the starter, he very well could have asked for his release. Or maybe both sides agreed it would look best on paper if he asked for his release vs the team cutting him. Either way its semantics really, who cares. Everyone saw it coming.
No doubt, I just hope its not one of those rumbling stories once he signs on elsewhere (or retires), about how he was mistreated. If they actually did part on good terms, then that's hopefully it. We don't need another story like he came out with the other week, about being held back.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #52
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20,917
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Once Alex was told he would have no assurances of being the starter, he very well could have asked for his release. Or maybe both sides agreed it would look best on paper if he asked for his release vs the team cutting him. Either way its semantics really, who cares. Everyone saw it coming.
Exactly.

I feel that anyone who is looking to make an issue out of this is just digging for drama that isn't there.
__________________
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 12,121
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I am curious how much truth there is to RR's statement. He said the team granted Alex's request to be released. I'm not so certain Alex asked for the release...
Why would you doubt this?

Ron said he had a very frank and honest discussion with Alex. Which, as you can imagine, probably went something along the lines of we don't see you as a starter anymore, we're looking for someone younger who can grow along with this young team, and you no longer have the mobility. Your availability at the end of the season makes us uneasy about committing to you as a starter this year.

But we know you can still play in this league and we'd consider you as a backup at a reduced cost. But we're not going to keep you at your current salary.

That's probably where Alex said thanks for being honest but I want a shot to play so probably best if you released me. They probably shook hands and went their separate ways.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 34
Posts: 31,846
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Yeah nobody was going to give him 15M.. Dude has 1 leg , love his fight and guts but lets be real here
__________________
“Mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people.”
― Nick Saban
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #55
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,483
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Why would you doubt this?

Ron said he had a very frank and honest discussion with Alex. Which, as you can imagine, probably went something along the lines of we don't see you as a starter anymore, we're looking for someone younger who can grow along with this young team, and you no longer have the mobility. Your availability at the end of the season makes us uneasy about committing to you as a starter this year.

But we know you can still play in this league and we'd consider you as a backup at a reduced cost. But we're not going to keep you at your current salary.

That's probably where Alex said thanks for being honest but I want a shot to play so probably best if you released me. They probably shook hands and went their separate ways.
Oh, I can see that happening, I was just thinking in context of the article indicating Smith wasn't happy with his treatment last week, this statement seemed a bit of a contrast to that earlier view. OTOH I can see how writers slant stories to make them more contentious than the truth...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 54
Posts: 20,265
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Oh, I can see that happening, I was just thinking in context of the article indicating Smith wasn't happy with his treatment last week, this statement seemed a bit of a contrast to that earlier view. OTOH I can see how writers slant stories to make them more contentious than the truth...
Smith came out after the interview and softened the tone, including a little blame on the reporter saying it was a GQ interview and the reporter wasn't very up on football, or something to that effect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #57
AnonEmouse
The Starter
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 1,483
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Ah, never saw that (limited coverage over here).
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #58
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 34
Posts: 31,846
Re: Alex Smith Cut

Kudos to Smith on a good career, he defied the odds.. This is the best decision for him
__________________
“Mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people.”
― Nick Saban
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #59
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 96,809
Re: Alex Smith Cut

All time great comeback story
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 34
Posts: 31,846
Re: Alex Smith Cut

He left a little bitter but I imagine now he sees why he was cut.. Nobody was taking that chance
__________________
“Mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people.”
― Nick Saban
skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.17565 seconds with 12 queries