Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #46
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: The FINAL Kirk Cousins Saga thread. 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody81 View Post
It truly boggles my mind some people will be happy when Kirk leaves. I really believe those people are still so upset Kirk turned out to be the 1st round pick not RG3 they can’t see the forest through the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty off the mark. Only like 2% of Redskins fans give a shit about that. And the other 98% don't care what they think because they're morons.

Advertisements
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #47
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
It's business, not ego. He's free to seek his best deal, so I assume he will.
I get that. Do what's best for you and your family. My issue is with the big shin dig with 106.7 where you've got your wife and baby there and what not. IDK, it just kind of turned me off. If you're going to do something like that where the fans are coming out to take pics then the narrative should have been... "This is where I want to be, this is where I want to end my career, I don't want to play anywhere else." But he didn't say anything that. All he did was basically leave the door open for the Redskins to compete w/ other teams if he gets to free agency. As I've said he's holding them hostage. Just not a fan of shit like that.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #48
rocnrik
Playmaker

After all we did draft Kirk after RgIII. Maybe that is the key draft 2 qb’s. It’s crazy to think but we got the QB we wanted and when that didn’t work we caught a break and Cousins actually did ..and dang if this might not work out, very frustrating indeed.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #49
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
Exclusive rights franchise and trade. Most of you are snippy and presumptuous... however, you don't understand how the franchise tag works, nor free agency for that matter.
This would work w/ a team that could absorb 34 million. A team like Cleveland could easily do it.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #50
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lets start a Poll Matt

Will Kirk be a Redskin in 2018?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #51
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Ham sandwich with pickles
Can of spam and a plastic fork.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #52
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I personally don't care about RG3. The Kirk hive's only response is that people hate Cousins because they loved Robert, that is stupid.

Most of you don't remember Kirk Cousins demanded a trade when he was drafted here. He never wanted to be here. You blame the team for botched negotiations, it may be that he never intended to be here long-term. He has gotten in total $43.8 million from the Redskins, but according to the Kirk-Hive, he hasn't been loved. B.S.

Now, people are saying they'll stop being fans of the team if he leaves... Why? Kirk has won nothing of relevance. He has been good between the 20's as a QB, he can move the offense, but that is about it. The Giants, a team in our division has him figured out, don't believe me..., check the record against. No one player is greater than the team. The team will be there long after he retires.

If he is going to move on, it is in the TEAMS best interest to control that move as much as possible. Get what's best for the team. You don't want to see that, then you're not a real fan of the team, period. Franchise and Trade, especially since teams are expressing overt interest in him as a free agent.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This would work w/ a team that could absorb 34 million. A team like Cleveland could easily do it.
The receiving team has the ability to negotiate a long-term deal with the player up and until July 15th. Therefore, the Redskins can ask Cousins's agent to seek out a trade and he can negotiate a long-term deal with that new team as they see fit. If the deal is struck, the player no longer counts 34 mm against the cap for the new team.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
The receiving team has the ability to negotiate a long-term deal with the player up and until July 15th. Therefore, the Redskins can ask Cousins's agent to seek out a trade and he can negotiate a long-term deal with that new team as they see fit. If the deal is struck, the player no longer counts 34 mm against the cap for the new team.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

I think you mean "non-exclusive rights franchise tag":

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

So what we should do is on the first day we are able to schedule a meeting with Cousins team and let them know we are coming with a serious offer. Make the offer and discuss it with them, giving a deadline for decision or counteroffer...which will be before the franchise tag can be given.

Then if they deny or plaining state we don't want to be here...say that is fine, but this is a business. Let them know we are applying a non-exclusive franchise tag and tell them to negotiate a deal with another team contingent on at least one first round draft as compensation along with additional picks.

This is the right plan, correct?

He Gets Us
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

I think you mean "non-exclusive rights franchise tag":

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

So what we should do is on the first day we are able to schedule a meeting with Cousins team and let them know we are coming with a serious offer. Make the offer and discuss it with them, giving a deadline for decision or counteroffer...which will be before the franchise tag can be given.

Then if they deny or plaining state we don't want to be here...say that is fine, but this is a business. Let them know we are applying a non-exclusive franchise tag and tell them to negotiate a deal with another team contingent on at least one first round draft as compensation along with additional picks.

This is the right plan, correct?
It's against the CBA's rules to apply a non-exclusive franchise tag on the third iteration. Since he's been franchised twice in two consecutive seasons, the only franchise tag the Skins can apply this year is the exclusive.

Kirk would have to sign it first, and then the team would have to grant Cousins permission to speak with other teams about trades. If no deal is struck to every party's liking, then the Redskins would be stuck with a $34.4M cap hit this year, and have until July 15 to negotiate a long term deal.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #56
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
It's against the CBA's rules to apply a non-exclusive franchise tag on the third iteration. Since he's been franchised twice in two consecutive seasons, the only franchise tag the Skins can apply this year is the exclusive.

Kirk would have to sign it first, and then the team would have to grant Cousins permission to speak with other teams about trades. If no deal is struck to every party's liking, then the Redskins would be stuck with a $34.4M cap hit this year, and have until July 15 to negotiate a long term deal.
thanks for the clarity!

I think id still tag and negotiate as a trade only if we couldn't get a long term deal with cousins first. once the tag is applied id tell everyone we are trading him for fair compensation

He Gets Us
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #57
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody81 View Post
It truly boggles my mind some people will be happy when Kirk leaves. I really believe those people are still so upset Kirk turned out to be the 1st round pick not RG3 they can’t see the forest through the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man throws interceptions! And he can't single-handedly win us late regular season games that will put us in the playoffs.

A qb that doesn't throw any interceptions is a must alright. That's where I draw the line.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #58
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
thanks for the clarity!

I think id still tag and negotiate as a trade only if we couldn't get a long term deal with cousins first. once the tag is applied id tell everyone we are trading him for fair compensation
Problem is nobody would trade for Cousins unless they knew he was open to signing a long term deal with them. They'd want to negotiate the terms, and since at that point he'd be guaranteed $34.4M with the Skins, I think it's much more likely that he'd say nah no thanks I'll play on the tag again.

I don't think tag and trade is plausible. There's too high a probability that you're stuck with $34.4M this year, and right back in the same spot next year.

I would just make my best offer before March 6, and if he doesn't want it, then tell him it's been real.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #59
WillH
The Starter

I still think they should Transition Tag him (if he won't sign a reasonable but legitimate offer first). Then, let him know that as he tests the market that they will be willing to match just about any offer. When he finds the right offer from a team he wants to go to and accepts it, match, but if he wants to leave, they can work with that team to negotiate a trade.

The two risks that exist are:

1. Being on the hook for 28mil next year (beats 34 mil).

2. Another team front loads a deal so that we can't match. Tyre are very few teams that could afford to do this. If I remember correctly, it really is just the Jets and Cleveland. I doubt he'd choose either of those situations over Washington.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Problem is nobody would trade for Cousins unless they knew he was open to signing a long term deal with them. They'd want to negotiate the terms, and since at that point he'd be guaranteed $34.4M with the Skins, I think it's much more likely that he'd say nah no thanks I'll play on the tag again.

I don't think tag and trade is plausible. There's too high a probability that you're stuck with $34.4M this year, and right back in the same spot next year.

I would just make my best offer before March 6, and if he doesn't want it, then tell him it's been real.
gotcha...I think Cousins if he truly wants to "get out of here" would be willing to move on if he got a long term deal with a lotta guaranteed money...rather than just deal with all this again.

this has been mishandled from the get-go...should have listened to McC. But Bruce and Danny are bottom of the barrel.

He Gets Us
Closed Thread