Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
killromo
Special Teams

Re: NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

yes it does.
killromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace
Impact Rookie

On one hand...it would be great to see guys stick with a team over the course of a career, creating teams with identities and players a person can identify as being "true Redskins." On the other hand, consistent competition would literally go out the window league-wide.
AlvinWalton'sNeckBrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Well, I know Jerry Jones has said he's opting out -- wouldn't be surprised if Snyder did too. They do have some gripes, they're sending their money to small market teams, etc.

Definitely be interesting to see how it plays out.
I guess ultimately the question is should the owners consider themselves owners of their own companies competing against each other? Or should they consider themselves business partners working together for the NFL to compete with outside competitors.

By working together they've created tremendous value for each of their teams. According to Forbes, the Vikings were the least valuable team in the NFL in 2005. yet they were more valuable than the Knicks (the most valuable NBA team in 2005). The Detroit Pistons and Detroit Red Wings (for all their history and NBA titles and Stanley Cups) together are nowhere near as valuable as the Detroit Lions (with nothing). And the more valuable the smaller market teams are, it would seem logical that it only improves the value of the larger market teams.

On the other hand, because of salary caps you could make the argument that-while there is parity-the quality of the sport has declined. Instead of allowing players to develop and learn you're forced to throw people out there that aren't ready and are constantly turning rosters over.

I think what's important, more so than a salary cap, is that a salary floor is in place. You have to have money (a lot of it) to be an NFL owner so these guys aren't poor but it seems like some (Bidwill) don't invest as much as they could into their teams. In my opinion, if you want to be part of this exclusive club you need to invest more than just the initial capital to buy the team.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
J. Spanky
Special Teams

as a skins fan, i'd love it. for at least a year or two. danny boy could finally buy that lombardi he's had his eye on. but it would send the game as a whole on a downward spiral. so, ultimately, no good.

i hate seeing my skins struggle year after year after year. but i wouldn't take our competitiveness at the expense of the competitiveness of the league as a whole. that would just cheapen any wins that we may get. i'd much rather see ol danny jus get his act together and BUILD a team from the ground up which he SEEMS to be attempting to do now.
J. Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Well, I'm definitely in the minority on this one. I hate parity and crave David versus Goliath matchups. Go Washington Uncaps!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Does this mean all free agent contracts should end in 2011? If I'm a FA I wouldn't want a contract extention beyond a non-capped year, I think I'd prefer to wait.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Vulta121
Camp Scrub

Guys the MLB is not that bad in general. I mean I live in Miami and I know the Marlins suck but I'll still love them until the day I die. They proved a cap is not the ULTIMATE decider they won the WS in 97 and 03. It also showed with the Rockies last year. Most of the time this doesn't happen, the teams with better players win. With no cap we would have better players. I would take three or four odd years out of 20 that we don't win or were not in it until the end! Wouldn't you?
Also, the MLB keeps breaking attendance records four years running!
The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Fans coming out in record numbers
The attendance per game has also gone up it's not that there are more games or teams so the records are inevitably broken. If baseball was doing so bad this wouldn't happen. Numbers speak for themselves. Go no cap, GO SKINS
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Well just because Snyder can go out and spend money so can the other teams and owners willing to do the samething. If this does happen and players contracts jump look for tickets and everything else to jump. Baseball has how many home games to absurb some of the cost and NFL teams have 10 at the most at home games.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

It's too far away to think about this, I'm sure it wont happen. I'd hate to see the NFL go MLB though. Although, we would win the superbowl with snyders money.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

LOSE THE CAP! I can remember it prior. Yes it has helped out some teams but I have always felt and still do that it's all about marketing. How the owner sells the team. I can't imagine teams doing to poorly with all the money coming in from TV time and merchandise. Yes some teams sell better then others.....but put a winning team on the field for a change and stop lining your pockets.

If any of you can remeber the terrible teams back then...Patriots, Cardinals(as always), Bucs, Seattle(as always), Detroit, Houston (whatever they are), Browns,

Then look at the top 10 richest NFL owners.....they were all the teams that sucked back then. Now either new owners have purchased the teams or the same owners simply refuse to put the money back into the teams. The Patriots have finally come around, Cards will always suck(LOL), Bucs are better, Seattle is the #1 owner and they are finally looking good after all the yrs sucking, Detroit....how in hell do you own a car company and a football team and still suck for so many yrs? Houston did pretty good in the 60's but has not been good since, Browns.....oh yeah they moved to Baltimore and a new owner took over and they still suck. lol.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Great for the Redskins, bad for football. Just look at Baseball(Orioles).
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well just because Snyder can go out and spend money so can the other teams and owners willing to do the samething. If this does happen and players contracts jump look for tickets and everything else to jump. Baseball has how many home games to absurb some of the cost and NFL teams have 10 at the most at home games.
Yeah I don't know why people seem to think Snyder is the only rich owner. Imagine what Paul Allen would do
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #28
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Can you imagine how much we'd have paid Arch and Lloyd without a cap.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #29
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Man I really hope they work things out. I don't want the NFL to turn into that joke known as MLB.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #30
Hogs Breath
Camp Scrub

Teams that will slide back to stinkdom come after the cap ends:

Jaguars
Bengals
Green Bay
Carolina

Two will probably go or move:

New Orleans
Buffalo

As for the Skins. We won our SB titles before the cap.

One thing for sure. No Cap and the bench for some gets alot deeper. If the cap goes some teams will have awesome special teams and the others will suck even worse than they do now if that is possible.
Hogs Breath is offline   Reply With Quote