Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Fitzmagic thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #61
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Fitzmagic thread

This team is shaping up to be a lot like the Ravens super bowl team with Dilfer... great D and good enough Offense .. one can hope
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #62
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
This team is shaping up to be a lot like the Ravens super bowl team with Dilfer... great D and good enough Offense .. one can hope
If Fitz develops a connection with either Terry or Samuels, this team's offense will be more than good enough, it will be explosive. Especially against the division.

I admit I wasn't thrilled about having the division games back loaded, but by the time the division stretch starts this team may be forged into a division sweeping machine.

And as a side note, it sounds like Heinicke has upped his game also. Rivera gave him some good words about making plays, and knowing when plays aren't there.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #63
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
He's 38 and it's his 1st day of school. Would you be happy?
I would be. 2 classes away from my 3rd Masters Degree. 🤓
Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #64
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
our defense is no where near as good as that one was. not even close. maybe we can hopefully get there but based on last season and the last game it just isn't anywhere near on that level.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #65
SunnySide
Playmaker

I dont know ... I have some reservations with how Fitz will fit and compliment our team. I was kinda on board with ball control offense, with using multiple weapons within 10 yards of LOS, making those high percentage plays that are designed to pick up 5 yards but in the hands of a Gibson/McKissic could go for 15 plus.

That if our O didnt turn the ball over and an O that can ball control .. our opponent might only get 8 or less possessions a game.

On the flip side ... its a chunk yardage game which we did horribly at and its probably stupid to try and play 1990 football in 2021.

I just hope Fitz can take what the D and play design is and not start passing up on guaranteed 5 yard gains for a bunch of 50/50 balls down field.

Fitz needs to balance himself and im not sure if he is that type of guy. We dont need him skipping/rushing the primary read bc he wants to get to that 3rd read down field.

we dont need quick 3 and outs. if we dont give our opponents short fields. If we limit our opponents to 8 possessions, they might get 17 points at most on a good day.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #66
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
our defense is no where near as good as that one was. not even close. maybe we can hopefully get there but based on last season and the last game it just isn't anywhere near on that level.
The defense is going to take a step up this season. The changes that were made were tailored to the needs and what were good but weak last year this year are going to be strengths.

William Jackson vs Moreau not even close. And what that will do for the back end, JDavis will do for the LB's. I know it has to prove itself on the field, AND it will get tested early and often, but this won't be a bend but don't break defense this will be a hit em hard and hit em often defense.

And it should be, we have 5 #1 draft picks in our front 7, they all are in their prime production years, they seem to have a real comraderie, and the coaching on the defensive side knows how to use good players.

The full offseason/training camp will be HUGE.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #67
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I put the offense on Scott Turner. He has the horses. He has to call a better game ESPECIALLY in the first quarter! We were miserable last year in the first 20 minutes of the games.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #68
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I put the offense on Scott Turner. He has the horses. He has to call a better game ESPECIALLY in the first quarter! We were miserable last year in the first 20 minutes of the games.

His playcalling bordered on awful last year. You have to adjust according to who your horses are. Last year he did not do that. He was just calling plays and was oblivious to the fact that he did not have the horses. This year he will probably get conservative. Lol.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #69
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
His playcalling bordered on awful last year. You have to adjust according to who your horses are. Last year he did not do that. He was just calling plays and was oblivious to the fact that he did not have the horses. This year he will probably get conservative. Lol.
Turner was the opposite of Gruden. He couldn't plan the start of a game for anything, but seemed good at in-game and halftime adjustments. We can't spot teams 14 to 20 points because the defense is put in terrible positions early and expect the defense to get to the next level. They have to know that for every 1 FitzTragic event, the offense will create time and plays that gives the defense time to set and demolish.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #70
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

I am more bullish on the upcoming season after reading breakdowns on our defensive personnel, and the history of Rivera and Del Rio.

The biggest difference for the D this year will be forcing itself on the offense, instead of a bending-not-breaking approach that was employed last year. With that kind of Defense, your Offense can be more than just a ball control kind of attack.

And the offense has certainly added weapons all over the place, and beefed up the O-Line with versatile, relatively young, personnel.

Honestly ... this team could be way better than we're afraid to admit right now. We as fans are fighting 20 years of bad-football-PTSD, but if the pieces fall the way they look like they've been picked to do, this could be a special year.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #71
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
I am more bullish on the upcoming season after reading breakdowns on our defensive personnel, and the history of Rivera and Del Rio.

The biggest difference for the D this year will be forcing itself on the offense, instead of a bending-not-breaking approach that was employed last year. With that kind of Defense, your Offense can be more than just a ball control kind of attack.

And the offense has certainly added weapons all over the place, and beefed up the O-Line with versatile, relatively young, personnel.

Honestly ... this team could be way better than we're afraid to admit right now. We as fans are fighting 20 years of bad-football-PTSD, but if the pieces fall the way they look like they've been picked to do, this could be a special year.
I agree 100%. We all know it comes down to execution but across every level on this team there are top performers or rising stars. The energy and Rivera's get it done attitude seem to be overwhelmingly present. I do love that the team will get tested by a LOT of the elite qbs and defenses. IF they come together this could be a very special year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #72
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
So I don’t mean this in a snarky way, I’m genuinely asking.....so what would your plan be with the worst starting QB play in the league...only one NFL caliber receiver....the only worthwhile TE on the roster is a converted QB....your OL starts Geron Christian and Wes Martin....and your best RB is a rookie with no training camp or offseason and was a WR 6 months earlier....what’s your plan? Honestly I’m amazed we did as well as we did. I think you’ll see a much better and well designed offense this year.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #73
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
So I don’t mean this in a snarky way, I’m genuinely asking.....so what would your plan be with the worst starting QB play in the league...only one NFL caliber receiver....the only worthwhile TE on the roster is a converted QB....your OL starts Geron Christian and Wes Martin....and your best RB is a rookie with no training camp or offseason and was a WR 6 months earlier....what’s your plan? Honestly I’m amazed we did as well as we did. I think you’ll see a much better and well designed offense this year.
This is exactly how I see it.

It's pretty obvious that Turner did adjust his offense last year, due to what he had (or didn't have) at his disposal. He was pretty handcuffed for the better part of the season, and it is amazing they had any success at all really.

This year the talent at every position group on offense is improved, more healthy, and will have a full offseason to prepare.

He will have no excuses.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #74
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post

Completely was behind the 8 ball as far as talent. Said that myself. But I just feel like he could have simplified things. I understand that is not a recipe for success but with our defense last year we just needed to be semi efficient on offense and he was calling plays like he was the 99 Rams. Idk. Im certainly willing to see what he can do this year. As for what would I have done … well … idk. Lol. Im not an OC in the NFL. I just remember not liking his play calls based on our offense and the situations. Because when you have lemons you need to make lemonade. He made shit-ade.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #75
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Completely was behind the 8 ball as far as talent. Said that myself. But I just feel like he could have simplified things. I understand that is not a recipe for success but with our defense last year we just needed to be semi efficient on offense and he was calling plays like he was the 99 Rams. Idk. Im certainly willing to see what he can do this year. As for what would I have done … well … idk. Lol. Im not an OC in the NFL. I just remember not liking his play calls based on our offense and the situations. Because when you have lemons you need to make lemonade. He made shit-ade.
I’m pretty sure that had more to do with Haskins being totally worthless than anything else.