Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

#2 WR Position

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Sean Taylor is God

#2 WR Position

I don't know how to create a poll, sorry.

What should the skins do in the offseason concerning the WR position.

1) Sign FA
2) Draft rookie
3) Sign FA + draft Rookie
4) Do nothing and go back to losing

In your answer please give the names of guys that interest you. I'm just gauging fan sentiment.

I think Randle-El fits well but availability and money are issues. Koren Robinson appears poised to resign with the Vikings. Jurevicius doesn't really fit our scheme although he is an art monk type possesion guy. We could get Givens and have two ex-patriots, or go with Antonio Bryant. There are a few restricted free agents such as Brandon Loyd and Nate Burleson, but with our cap situation we will need all the young talent we can muster.

In the draft there are some intriguing options. First is Sinorice Moss who is small, but so is his big brother and that has worked out O.K. Chad Jackson had a great combine and guys like santonio holmes, derek hagan, and maurice stovall have warranted attention.

We have options but all i've heard is we are interested in randle-el. To get a solid #2 receiver we must fix our cap problems and to get an impact receiver in the draft we will have to move up to the first round or higher in the second. I hope we end up with chad jackson or sinorice moss.

Thoughts anyone?
Sean Taylor is God is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Re: #2 WR Position

I would...search:
http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10794
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Sean Taylor is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets

toucher
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Welcome, btw! And, only mods can create polls - it wasn't just you!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
#56fanatic
The Starter

same post as before, but I do have something to say. Why is everyone so hyped up on Radel El. HE had about 35 catches, are we bringing him here to return punts and kicks. I cant see paying a guy the money he wants to be a # 2 or #3. hell, Patton had 22 catches and didn't even play half the season. He is a good athlete, but really is he worth the money he is going to ask for, to return punts and kicks. I dont know that he was even top 3 in that catagory was he?
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
BrudLee
Playmaker

Obviously, an additional WR threat would be helpful, but the premise of the poll is flawed. "Do nothing and go back to losing"?

We were a playoff team last year. We had more playoff wins than, for example, the Colts. We brought in an offensive coordinator who has done more with a lot less than we have on this roster - unless you think Sammie Parker, Eddie Kennison, Marc Boerigter, Chris Horn, and Dante Hall are a Murderer's Row. For God's sake, the Chiefs had a WR named Craphonso!!! He had "crap" right in his name and they took him!

Despite the lack of star power (and Hall, is a special teams star- not a stud WR), the Chiefs had the #6 passing offense in the league - and Tony Gonzales had an off-year by his standards.

I agree that we need greater depth at the position. I agree that Jacobs isn't reaching his potential. I agree that if James Thrash (as much as I love him) figures strongly in your gameplan, you've got issues. I disagree that we absolutely need either Randle-El or a stud rookie to compete. We are competing, and if Al Saunders is half the coordinator we expect, we'll be fine.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
For God's sake, the Chiefs had a WR named Craphonso!!! He had "crap" right in his name and they took him!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Sean Taylor is God

We "were" competing. By the end of the year our offense became predictable and defenses were able to shut it down by focusing on moss and cooley. In order to take the team to the next level we must add a component that can spread the field and create opportunities for moss, cooley and portis. I don't think Randle-El is the answer only because we are going to have to overpay for a marginal #2 guy. I really liked Chad Jackson at the combine yesterday, a lot.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
same post as before, but I do have something to say. Why is everyone so hyped up on Radel El. HE had about 35 catches, are we bringing him here to return punts and kicks. I cant see paying a guy the money he wants to be a # 2 or #3. hell, Patton had 22 catches and didn't even play half the season. He is a good athlete, but really is he worth the money he is going to ask for, to return punts and kicks. I dont know that he was even top 3 in that catagory was he?
I really don't think he's going to command #1 receiver type of money. We ARE looking for a quality #2, not a #1 and I think he could fill a number of roles nicely. PR, backup QB and WR would be great.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Sean Taylor is God

I do think the addition of saunders is exactly what we needed and in and of itself will boost offensive production.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Taylor is God
We "were" competing. By the end of the year our offense became predictable and defenses were able to shut it down by focusing on moss and cooley. In order to take the team to the next level we must add a component that can spread the field and create opportunities for moss, cooley and portis. I don't think Randle-El is the answer only because we are going to have to overpay for a marginal #2 guy. I really liked Chad Jackson at the combine yesterday, a lot.
By the end of the year, we won our last five regular season games, and our first playoff game. The teams that knew us best (from our own division) got beat like narcs at a meth lab. Our #2 WR, while not a statistic juggernaut, was on IR.

I'd love to see another viable threat on offense. I'm just not convinced that that player needs to be acquired in big name free agency or with a splashy draft pick.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Sean Taylor is God

What should our WR Depth Chart look like?

1) Moss
2) Free-Agent?
3) Patten ?
4) Rookie?
5) Jacobs?

everyone says we should cut jacobs but the #'s say we will only save 115K, which is less than it would cost to find a replacement. Plus at least he already knows the system and can play gunner on special teams.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Sean Taylor is God

We won the games but you can not look me in the eye and say that our offense played well or was inspiring. I think it is a concensus that our defense won us those games and got us to the playoffs i.e. Greg Williams getting an enormous extension. We will not survive next season if our offense does not continue to evolve. Perhaps Al Saunders will be able tu utilize our current talent better than Gibbs.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

if we got R-el, he'd be the #3, he was actually more productive there. patten isn't a stud #2, but he kept moss open. if a rookie comes in, they're not going to be the #2, at least not this year (in all likelyhood).

I'd like to get somebody, but i don't see anyone in FA or the draft that's absolutely great. KR and JJ are probably resigning with their teams. Curtis would be a good pickup, but because he'd require a #3 draft pick, is probably also signing back with his team. bryant will probably cost too much for a suddenly conervative redskins team because he believes he's a #1, and he's got talent, but not enough talent and character to get his team (who are WAY under cap) to even attempt to make an offer before free agency opens. R-el's price is going to be driven up well past his production because he's the best of a weak year for WRs (followed by a weak draft).

jackson was fast, but i wasn't impressed with his drills... I think i was most impressedd with ingel martin (QB, transferred so he wouldn't be behind rex grossman).

Moss is probably the best fit for us (though i doubt he'll be there), he may cap out as a #2 (his speed and ball reaction are as good as santana's), but he can produce immediately due to his speed. In the mid rounds i think hass and orr are probably the best and DQ is worth a look if he's not drafted (blackmon as #3CB/#3WR may also be a good deal in the 3rd round). Greg Lee or Todd Watkins may be decent picks there too (but i don't know much about them).

I would avoid hagan (no hands, at all) and stovall (SLOW) at all costs. if you really need big for big's sake, nance is a (slightly) better option.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Taylor is God
We won the games but you can not look me in the eye and say that our offense played well or was inspiring. I think it is a concensus that our defense won us those games and got us to the playoffs i.e. Greg Williams getting an enormous extension. We will not survive next season if our offense does not continue to evolve. Perhaps Al Saunders will be able tu utilize our current talent better than Gibbs.
we went from 29th to 14th... if patten was healthy we would have been even higher (since moss took an immediate 30yard/game hit once he went out). Depth was the real killer.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote