Clayton: A 6th round pick for Ramsey

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #61
celts32
Playmaker

Re: Clayton: A 6th round pick for Ramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddle
There are seven or eight teams badly in need of QB help. To garner a three, it only takes a couple of GMs with a higher opinion on Ramsey than yours (which obviously isn't high given that list of damaged goods and marginally competant list of "starting QBs" you offered).
If the skins get a 3 for Patrick I will eat my hat.

I would take Drew Brees as the Redskins starting QB right now. He is young and proven...and while we all hope Jason Campbel is good we just don't know. One injury makes Brees damaged goods? Football players get injured. pennington is damaged goods becasue he had the same injury twice in a row. Brees had one injury like most players in the NFL do eventually. if you don't think he has value then just wait and see how long those damaged goods last on the free agency market. I realize it's not going to happen with Brees in DC...the skins are going to groom Campbel but trashing more accomplished players does not improve Ramsey's value. Ramsey is worth what they can get and if that's only a #6 then that's his worth.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #62
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
If the skins get a 3 for Patrick I will eat my hat.

I would take Drew Brees as the Redskins starting QB right now. He is young and proven...and while we all hope Jason Campbel is good we just don't know. One injury makes Brees damaged goods? Football players get injured. pennington is damaged goods becasue he had the same injury twice in a row. Brees had one injury like most players in the NFL do eventually. if you don't think he has value then just wait and see how long those damaged goods last on the free agency market. I realize it's not going to happen with Brees in DC...the skins are going to groom Campbel but trashing more accomplished players does not improve Ramsey's value. Ramsey is worth what they can get and if that's only a #6 then that's his worth.
brees and culpepper are probably signing with their current teams. if the cba passes, griese will probably continue as a buc, and no one is going to take simms for a 1st and a 3rd (it'd only make sense for teams with low first round picks, and they tend not to have such dire QB problems to need an average QB so desperately).

It's actually possible ramsey could be the shortlist this year. Right now no one wants to do anything till they figure out about the CBA and the new cap though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #63
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
Brees and Culpepper are both suposedly going to be fine. brees injury was never career threatening. Culpepper did his knee good but he is a QB so it's not like he will need the same recovery time that a RB would need under similar circumstances. When healthy I would love to have Brees, Culpepper or Simms over Ramsey. I don't even see how that is up for discussion. I don't think I am out on a limb saying that they all have shown more in the NFL than Ramsey has.

As for the other guys I mentioned...I don't love Kitna or Griese but they have done some good things in the NFL and probably have close to the same value as Ramsey. The only thing Ramsey has on those guys is that he's younger and some teams may feel he has a higher ceiling.
There is no question that Brees and Culpepper are vastly superior quarterbacks than Ramsey. But, they also want a sh-tload of money. Griese and Kitna may be more proven quarterbacks, but they're also (as you pointed out) old.

What I just can't understand is how A.J. Feeley gets Philly a 2nd round pick whereas Ramsey gets the Skins a 6th rounder. Yes I know the Dolphine overpaid. I also know that this year's free agent QB crop is good. But, the difference between a 2nd and a 6th is amazing.

I am sure there is some reasonable justification for the difference in compensation, I just haven't heard it yet.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #64
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanz301
maybe if he had a fair shot.....he got robbed when gibbs came back
He got robbed how? By gagging in '04 training camp and playing like a scared freshman in the preseason? By not looking much better in the '05 preseason and turning the ball over twice and fumbling another time in 2 quarters of the opener? I'm so over the 'Ramsey never got a shot' crap.. If he flat out was the dominant QB, played lights out in the camps and preseasons since Gibbs was here and still was riding the pine then I could see the argument, but it's the NFL, step up or step out..

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #65
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
There is no question that Brees and Culpepper are vastly superior quarterbacks than Ramsey. But, they also want a sh-tload of money. Griese and Kitna may be more proven quarterbacks, but they're also (as you pointed out) old.

What I just can't understand is how A.J. Feeley gets Philly a 2nd round pick whereas Ramsey gets the Skins a 6th rounder. Yes I know the Dolphine overpaid. I also know that this year's free agent QB crop is good. But, the difference between a 2nd and a 6th is amazing.

I am sure there is some reasonable justification for the difference in compensation, I just haven't heard it yet.
dolphins were idiots. never assume malevolence where stupidity will do.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #66
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
dolphins were idiots. never assume malevolence where stupidity will do.
Yeah. That was one of the dumbest moves ever.

I could care less about what Ramsey is worth for Ramsey's sake. I guess I'm just too disappointed that our team couldn't get anything better (assuming Clayton's story is correct). We really need draft picks and I was hoping we could at least get a 4th or 5th rounder.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #67
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskinsfan
John Clayton just said on ESPN radio at about 8:35 a.m. that the Jets would get Ramsey more than likely for a lousy 6th round pick. If we can't get at least a 3rd rounder for Ramsey I say we just keep him. Freakin 6th round pick, that's pretty much just throwing him away for no compensation!
If this is true you are right! Better to keep him for another year in case Burnell get hurt or can't get the job done! Then we will think about next season when it comes!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #68
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

how pissed is ramsey going to be if he has to stay on another year? Woof.

I think it is obvious that ramsey even as a third QB is worth more to us than a 6th.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #69
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
how pissed is ramsey going to be if he has to stay on another year? Woof.

I think it is obvious that ramsey even as a third QB is worth more to us than a 6th.
I don't care how pissed he is...If I was running the show a 6th is not exceptable! If something happens to Burnell I need a back up plan. WE all know that the back up QB is just one hit away from your starter and he may just beat Burnell out! What is good for the Redskins and a 6th pick is not!! He will be a man and do what is needed because he is a stand up guy!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #70
dirthogs311
Special Teams

With the quality of the free agent QB's Ramsey doesn't have much value. Players like Brooks, McNair, Pennington, and Brees are hurting his value. But.... if those plyers stay with their respective teams or get picked up early in free agency and their is still a demand for qb vet then ramseys value goes up

Free Sean Taylor
dirthogs311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #71
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthogs311
With the quality of the free agent QB's Ramsey doesn't have much value. Players like Brooks, McNair, Pennington, and Brees are hurting his value. But.... if those plyers stay with their respective teams or get picked up early in free agency and their is still a demand for qb vet then ramseys value goes up

Free Sean Taylor
:cheeky-sm :headbange :headbange :cool-smil :tongue :cheeky-sm :smashfrea :headbange :tongue :thumb: :headbange :headbange
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #72
Huddle
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
There is no question that Brees and Culpepper are vastly superior quarterbacks than Ramsey.
First, try to imagine that Ramsey had played in San Diego and Drew Brees here in 2002 and 2003 with Spurrier and with the Gibbs' 2004 offense.

Then, bear in mind that Drew Brees' arm strength was barely adequate before the torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

As for Culpepper, if the Vikes are ready to cut him loose after his surgery isn't it likely that they might know what they're doing?

The only thing "vastly superior" about Brees and Culpepper over Ramsey is their reputations.

Ramsey, Schaub and Volek (I think his knee surgery was minor) are the QBs who have an upside and might be worth the price if available.
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #73
That Guy
Living Legend

if you look over the stats, volek looks great, schaub looks pretty bad and ramsey is somewhere in between.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #74
Huddle
Special Teams

Quote:
if you look over the stats, volek looks great, schaub looks pretty bad and ramsey is somewhere in between.
If you look at wins and losses Ramsey looks much better than Volek, but individual stats can be very deceptive, particularly the QB stats. I think you have to watch them play and then try to adjust your grade according to the system and personnel they had to work with.

I wonder how Tom Brady's stats would look if he had played for Spurrier?
Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #75
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
I got a theory on this. I think that if a CBA is reached and the Redskins can get under the cap without involving Ramsey than they will keep him. The reasoning being that with guys like Volek, Schuab, Brees, Garcia, and other quality or manageable QB's out there, Gibbs will convince Ramsey that he will have a better chance of getting a good starting job with another team in 2007 where he'll have a better market. Gibbs has a way of convincing people, and on top of that he doesn't lie when he persuades you. The only team I could concievably see taking Ramsey is the Ravens. As far as the other main teams with interest heres what I think

Dolphins: Brees will sign with them. They're a quality QB away from being an elite team

Lions: Martz wants to prove he can make Joey a winner. On top of that I think Schuab might get a chance there before Ramsey.

Jets: They will draft one of the big 3 in the draft. Probably Cutler

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote