Om Field: Opportunity Game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Opportunity Game

Opportunity Game
Sept. 19, 2008

If last Sunday against the Saints was about confidence, this Sunday against Arizona is about opportunity. In all shapes and sizes.

Opportunity to slap down the nagging voice in the back of every single Redskins fan's mind, and probably some of its players, reminding them that over past decade-and-a-half, the Washington Redskins have far too infrequently dealt well with success. How many times in recent years have the Redskins won a game in inspiring fashion, run off the field aglow with success and set up to build on that success ... only to slip on the proverbial banana peel the following week and fall right back on their collective keester?

Answer: too many.

Opportunity for Jason Campbell to build on his dramatic turn as a clutch, big-play finisher. He doesn’t have to go 300+ again to consolidate his confidence gains, but he does have to turn in another competent, professional effort of decision-making, field generalship, converting key third downs ... and most of all, willing his team in the end zone rather than settling for field goals. After last week, his teammates know he’s capable of doing it. If he can deliver again while that good buzz is fresh ... well, you do the math.

My gut over/under on points needed to win this week: 24

Opportunity for Jim Zorn to continue to show what appears after 2 weeks to be a pretty quick learning curve. Game-management; clock management, keeping the other defense off balance, continuing the process of syncing up with his quarterback ... Zorn made big strides in those areas from week one to week two. He too doesn’t have to be a genius on Sunday, just turn in another competent, professional sideline performance. After the tumult his rookie-ness caused in game one, he has the chance in week 3 to silence the “in over his head” altogether by simply showing he belongs.

Okay, not really--some will continue to say it no matter what. But he sure would make it easier to ignore them ...

CLICK HERE to read more.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Om Field: Opportunity Game

Good stuff. Well written. Opportunities abound indeed.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Good stuff. Well written. Opportunities abound indeed.
Mosk kind.

One that didn’t make the final edit but I suspect might strike a chord with some ...

Opportunity to enjoy one hell of a slate of NFL matchups on Sunday. The other early games don’t interest me–when the Redskins are playing, the only time the remote gets picked up is at halftime. Or for the occasional feinted throw at the TV when an announcer says something particularly insipid. But after that ... there may not be another day this season before the playoffs when the NFL can boast a more attractive lineup of games.

4:15 pm

New Orleans vs. Denver
Jacksonville vs. Indianapolis
Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia

8:00 pm

Dallas vs. Green Bay

I mean, seriously.

But here’s the rub: the Redskins have to win. If they win, I’m all about the rest of the days’ games. I’m flipping channels, I’m on the web, I’m assessing other teams, I’m horsing around, I’m grabbing one beer too many.

But, if they lose ... the TV is still probably on, and there’s probably a game on it, but if I’m watching at all it’s with a distant, glassy stare. And I’m not “enjoying” the game, I’m just kind of taking it in ... resenting the fact tomorrow’s a work day and I’m not independently wealthy (yet), wishing I could keep the neighbor’s dog from crapping on the side yard without doing something I’d regret after ... and quietly hating on whichever team is winning, wondering why the **** MY team can’t do that.

By Monday Night I’m generally over it and watch either way. But damn if NY Jets vs. San Diego won’t be a lot more fun (Can Favre Breaks Norv’s Heart–Again?) if the burgundy and gold are sporting 2-1 and the DC air is full of love.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
wishing I could keep the neighbor’s dog from crapping on the side yard without doing something I’d regret after ...

this is the reason fully automatic airsoft guns were invented. they may not completely break the habit at first but the cool thing about them is the more they don't serve the original intended purpose, the more fun you have!

You're welcome.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalEnigma21 View Post
this is the reason fully automatic airsoft guns were invented. they may not completely break the habit at first but the cool thing about them is the more they don't serve the original intended purpose, the more fun you have!

You're welcome.
I like the way you think.

I've found directionally broadcasting Mariah Carey at the cursed beast has a similar effect.