Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #46
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
The way I understand it...30 teams agreed to this punishment...so it is 30 vs 2.
The NFL is more of a club than a business.
How can the skins sue?....who are they suing?...the NFL?....they are the nfl?
The 32 owners are the NFL and the commissioner is paid by the owners.
How can you sue yourself?, the players association also agreed to approve it.
This is all legit the way the NFL/players association works.
Collusion is a different call...but you'd have to argue that was done to keep pay down..can't be argued this year since they kept the cap total the same...but could be argued during the non cap year...but think about it, is it really worth it?
Sure the Skins got screwed..but they are going to pay the cap hit they normally would have...the issue I have is a couple others got away with it on a smaller scale....and if you pursue a lawsuit, you will make enemies of those you depend on.
You really dont want the NFL a perpetual enemy of the Skins...think of penalties, fines, scheduling, supplemental draft picks, etc

Agree 100%

Advertisements
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #47
Monksdown
The Starter

I dont think the other NFL teams want 2 of their wealthiest and most influential owners being tied at the hip looking to retaliate at some point in the future. The other teams played their hand. Snyder and Jerry seem to have gotten closer and closer. If i were an NFL owner, i would remember the day they made the decision to step on two competitive guys worth a combined $3.1 billion(wiki).

That being said, i cant see this decision being reduced via compromise. Doesnt that incriminate the league further?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #48
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
The way I understand it...30 teams agreed to this punishment...so it is 30 vs 2.
The NFL is more of a club than a business.
How can the skins sue?....who are they suing?...the NFL?....they are the nfl?
The 32 owners are the NFL and the commissioner is paid by the owners.
How can you sue yourself?, the players association also agreed to approve it.
This is all legit the way the NFL/players association works.
Collusion is a different call...but you'd have to argue that was done to keep pay down..can't be argued this year since they kept the cap total the same...but could be argued during the non cap year...but think about it, is it really worth it?
Sure the Skins got screwed..but they are going to pay the cap hit they normally would have...the issue I have is a couple others got away with it on a smaller scale....and if you pursue a lawsuit, you will make enemies of those you depend on.
You really dont want the NFL a perpetual enemy of the Skins...think of penalties, fines, scheduling, supplemental draft picks, etc
Good points, but the fact that the NFL can actually take such action even though no actual rules were broken is pretty scary for an owner. Theoretically, any 1 or 2 teams could at any time be ganged up upon like this, just because the other 30 & the nflpa agree to it.

I would think if a suit is filed you'll see the words "arbitrary and capricious" over & over. This fits the definition to a t.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #49
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Good points, but the fact that the NFL can actually take such action even though no actual rules were broken is pretty scary for an owner. Theoretically, any 1 or 2 teams could at any time be ganged up upon like this, just because the other 30 & the nflpa agree to it.

What I think some are missing is that from some reports all 32 did agree and then 4 decided to do it anyway .
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #50
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
What I think some are missing is that from some reports all 32 did agree and then 4 decided to do it anyway .
"Agree"
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #51
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Love the headline, support it completely.

This is the first time I've ever rooted for Jerry Jones' success. Lets embarrass Goodell for this garbage.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #52
Player_HTTR
Special Teams

Quote:
Long story, short:

Only 28 teams agreed.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #53
Eknox
Impact Rookie

The NFL had to sign off on these deals. So is it ok we agree then punish you for a non rule? The timing and using the salary cap to persuade the Players association to agree shows dishonesty on part of the NFL. And I will always side with my Skins. It's easy not to when you are a fan of another team.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #54
FRPLG
MVP

And "agreed" is a very loose term here. 32 owners in a room agreeing verbally to conduct illicit business practices is what you're hanging your hat on there Giantone? You have better arguments to make.

To begin with I haven't seen anything that says any of the punished teams agreed to anything. And second...it does not matter either way. A verbal agreement is not binding in any legal way. If you prefer your NFL to operate in an arbitrary and capricious manner that could diminish a team's ability to compete then you're getting what you want. I'd say be careful though. Someday Jerry and/or Dan are going to be in a position to retaliate and this situation is proving is that whatever they do will be ok. Bad precedent set here. Very bad.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #55
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Well four decided to dump cap money. Numerous others had new contracts that were pretty insane.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #56
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
And "agreed" is a very loose term here. 32 owners in a room agreeing verbally to conduct illicit business practices is what you're hanging your hat on there Giantone? You have better arguments to make.

To begin with I haven't seen anything that says any of the punished teams agreed to anything. And second...it does not matter either way. A verbal agreement is not binding in any legal way. If you prefer your NFL to operate in an arbitrary and capricious manner that could diminish a team's ability to compete then you're getting what you want. I'd say be careful though. Someday Jerry and/or Dan are going to be in a position to retaliate and this situation is proving is that whatever they do will be ok. Bad precedent set here. Very bad.
Not only that, with this punishment, the Redskins and Cowboys obviously were intentionally not included in that vote. They wouldn't be talking how "blindsided" they were if they were in the room when all that BS happened.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #57
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Not only that, with this punishment, the Redskins and Cowboys obviously were intentionally not included in that vote. They wouldn't be talking how "blindsided" they were if they were in the room when all that BS happened.
Wow...never heard that before. That's like entrapment or just a straight out intentional targeting of us. Looks even worse now.

How Chicago was not included in this is unthinklable...except for the obvious fact that they went along with the dirty deal. If this was a legitimate attempt at a rule enforcement, there would have to be a lot more punishments and violators cited than Dallas and us.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #58
Evilgrin
The Starter

Quote:
I haven't read anywhere that something was actually agreed too? It's not like the NFL can admit that all the teams agreed to collude against the players in an "uncapped year". We've read conflicting reports that both teams were warned, but no documentation exists because it would also be illegal?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #59
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

I thought that they knew they had done something wrong and knew a penalty was coming,just not the extent of it or the magnitude of it, at least according to the artical by Mark Maske.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #60
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Do you know that as fact?