Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #286
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Trent Williams ends season-long holdout, rejoins Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I agree with overpaying in free agency. But the positions that I feel you do not overpay for in FA are RB, WR, safety and TE.

TE's are one of the more easier positions to get w/out paying a lot for. There are so many of them in the league right now and a lot are drafted in the 3rd round on. It's a position I feel you go get in the 3rd to 5th rounds. That is why I feel there is no need to overpay for players like Hopoer or Ebron. You can probably get their production in the draft and have them for 4 years paying cheap costs.

I would most certainly overpay for a RT cause I can't take another year of Moses shitting all over himself. I would overpay to resign Scherff. If RR chooses to keep Trent for a couple more years then overpay him.
Yeah, they'll end up paying premium dollars to keep Scherff. The good news is that if they dump all the FA that we need to release or trade the team will have some real cap space to get some top FA - around $45 million. I think they'll resign Scherff, Flowers AND Trent Williams. That stabilizes the OL. Although they may give Moses another year, RR has no loyalty to him and I think he will be released or traded. There are some good OT in FA and they will draft for OT or C probably with the third-round pick.

I think the other position where they'll lay out some top dollar will be for TE and/or WR #2. Hooper (TE) will command top money, but he's worth it. Other FA will be for CB and FS.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Advertisements
Old 02-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #287
Warthog
The Starter

RR just gave an interview on NBC talking about Trent. He seemed optimistic and hopeful that Trent would play here this season. A lot will depend on changing his contract to provide more guaranteed money...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #288
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
RR just gave an interview on NBC talking about Trent. He seemed optimistic and hopeful that Trent would play here this season. A lot will depend on changing his contract to provide more guaranteed money...

The interview sounded like RR had not even spoken with Trent

Quote:
“We’ve got to get Trent in,” Rivera told Larry Michael on Redskins Nation. “We’ve got to sit him down, see where he is, see how he is, health-wise, too. We have not really had the contact we need to have to know.”
I don't really see that as a positive statement.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #289
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The interview sounded like RR had not even spoken with Trent

I don't really see that as a positive statement.

RR has NOT talked to Trent but he is putting out the positive messages to Trent and to his agent. That’s how it works. You make public messages to let him know they are still interested in him. RR said he was still a Redskin. How is that not positive?

I give it a good chance the Redskins give him a new contract as long as he is healthy. Since he’s had a year to recover, I think he will be in excellent health. He is worth far more to the OL and the team, than the second rounder the ‘skins will get in a trade.

Flyboy.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #290
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
RR has NOT talked to Trent but he is putting out the positive messages to Trent and to his agent. That’s how it works. You make public messages to let him know they are still interested in him. RR said he was still a Redskin. How is that not positive?

I give it a good chance the Redskins give him a new contract as long as he is healthy. Since he’s had a year to recover, I think he will be in excellent health. He is worth far more to the OL and the team, than the second rounder the ‘skins will get in a trade.

I think it means reaching out privately has not worked so he is putting out public feelers hoping to bring TW back.

Positive to me would have been, I have met with TW and I know he has some concerns. We are working with him etc etc

Old 02-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #291
SunnySide
Playmaker

interesting.

I could see either scenario. 1 - this is the first olive branch from RR to Trent to let him the door is open ... or 2 - RR/skins tried to reach out to him already privately but he hasnt responded so now they send a public olive branch to continue effortss.

Personally, I dont see him coming back, not sure if I even want him to and at this point I would take a mid to high 2R if that is all we could get.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #292
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think it means reaching out privately has not worked so he is putting out public feelers hoping to bring TW back.

Positive to me would have been, I have met with TW and I know he has some concerns. We are working with him etc etc

What’s said in private will stay there. RR is putting out the public olive branch with the caveat about him being healthy. The next channel will be private. It either works or he will be traded.

If Trent is lured back he will still be the best OL player on the team. He’s not elite anymore but still pretty good. He’s worth far more than a second round pick. Now if Bruce Numbnut had traded Trent for a first rounder, that would be a different story. But he didn’t and having a very good OT with a couple years left in his tank is worth more than a second rounder which is usually a 50-50 gamble.

The Redskins can resign Trent, Scherff and Flowers and stabilize the OL. Martin can move up either to C or to replace Moses. Christian is probably a draft bust. They’ll need to draft for the OL anyway and certainly bring in some UDFA and hope for at least a depth player or a Kyle Smith miracle with a starter from that group. Moses is on the bubble, he had a terrible 2019 but they may keep him and hope he returns to form, to be replaced by a rookie draft or UDFA pick.

Flyboy.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #293
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
interesting.

I could see either scenario. 1 - this is the first olive branch from RR to Trent to let him the door is open ... or 2 - RR/skins tried to reach out to him already privately but he hasnt responded so now they send a public olive branch to continue effortss.

Personally, I dont see him coming back, not sure if I even want him to and at this point I would take a mid to high 2R if that is all we could get.
Can I ask why you wouldn't want a top 3 left tackle back on your roster?

And if your reasoning has anything to do with "he doesn't want to play here, fine! We don't need that attitude here," please save it. This is 2020 and the skins are in no position to be sitting atop a high horse in terms of culture/morals.

Getting him and Scherff back next season is HUGE for our young quarterback and we should explore all avenues of making that happen, if it's even still possible.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #294
Schneed10
A Dude

Remember that while we were all here as fans last year for the Trent/Bruce standoff, the regime Trent had a serious problem with is gone. A new regime is here, one that won't feel emotionally dug in over Trent's holdout last year.

Rivera will reach out, interested in starting completely fresh. Blank slate. His interest will be to let bygones be bygones.

Trent will likely find that refreshing and likely find that his distaste for the organization is gone. But his financial concerns may not have been taken care of. If Trent needs more money this year to come in and play, then Rivera will likely decide whether it's worth it, or he'll trade him this year so he can go someplace and get that big deal.

It will end in a conciliatory fashion, no matter what, because of the new regime. I think Rivera's first preference will be to get him back into the fold and I'm guessing that given the cap space available, they'll find it worthwhile to guarantee some dollars and increase his pay.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #295
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Remember that while we were all here as fans last year for the Trent/Bruce standoff, the regime Trent had a serious problem with is gone. A new regime is here, one that won't feel emotionally dug in over Trent's holdout last year.

Rivera will reach out, interested in starting completely fresh. Blank slate. His interest will be to let bygones be bygones.

Trent will likely find that refreshing and likely find that his distaste for the organization is gone. But his financial concerns may not have been taken care of. If Trent needs more money this year to come in and play, then Rivera will likely decide whether it's worth it, or he'll trade him this year so he can go someplace and get that big deal.

It will end in a conciliatory fashion, no matter what, because of the new regime. I think Rivera's first preference will be to get him back into the fold and I'm guessing that given the cap space available, they'll find it worthwhile to guarantee some dollars and increase his pay.
This.

My take on the news item is that RR hasn't heard from TW or his agent so he's setting the scene for discussion, confirming nothing is off the table yet. RR doesn't seem the kind of guy to play things out in the media, use them as a tool etc. because that can backfire. I can't remember a holdout in his time with the Panthers so it strikes me that he's simply answered an honest question with an honest answer. It's now up to TW whether he takes that call or indeed makes the call himself.

But I just can't see an outcome where TW thinks he's still slighted because if he doesn't come back he'll want the best deal he can get elsewhere. For that he has to at least appear to be willing to negotiate.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #296
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post

And if your reasoning has anything to do with "he doesn't want to play here, fine! We don't need that attitude here," please save it. This is 2020 and the skins are in no position to be sitting atop a high horse in terms of culture/morals.

Getting him and Scherff back next season is HUGE for our young quarterback and we should explore all avenues of making that happen, if it's even still possible.

It isn't 2016 any more. PFF ranked Trent 21st at tackle in 2018. He'll be 2 years older in 2020, coming off a season in which he didn't play. I think perhaps you are over-rating him a tad. I'd be fine with him deciding to honor his contract and return, but I won't lose any sleep if he breaks his contract again and we use that money elsewhere - especially if we can get a decent return in a trade. I'm not a fan of offering Williams more money than what he's already agreed to, but I'll trust in RR and accept whatever he decides to do.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #297
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Kind of wonder what will happen now as if Trent were here in 2019 would it make a little difference with the team.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #298
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

I find myself agreeing with your posts a lot lately. Either your posts have educated me or I don't yet realize that I've had a stroke.

Anyway, I think you're right about the Trent situation. They'll probably put together a nice package of monetary and personal inducements for Trent. Why not guarantee the remainder of his contract in its entirety or rework a symbolic "Redskin for Life" contract? Let him know that he'll be re-named a Team Captain at the appropriate time just by coming back and being the leader he's always been plus, by coming back, he will guarantee himself a place in the Redskins Ring of Honor, and so forth.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #299
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post

I am a big Trent fan, Trent > Bruce, I agree he is a top 3 LT and LT is the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football.

All that said, he will be 32 by the start of next season. 32 year olds in this league worry about 1 thing - how much money do they have guaranteed if he had a career ending injury tomorrow.

I think his hold out was money based. He had very little in guaranteed money in 2019 and 2020. If the Skins had approached him after 2018 and converted 2019 and 2020 to guaranteed, he would not have held out.

But now, he will be 32 and it will likely take an extension with a large amount guaranteed. I dont know about giving him a 5 yr/75M/50M guaranteed contract.

That doesnt get into the fact that Trent is the last remaining dysfunction left over from the Bruce regime.

Id rather trade him a year early vs a year late.

1st Round - I dont see a team offering that bc I think the new team will have to re-sign him for him to show up and play and that decreases his trade value.

2nd Rounder - if you can get it, I say go for it.

If you can get Trent to show up by guaranteeing his remaining contract here - go for it.

I dont have visions of us being upper tier successful the next 2 years. Our window (Haskins based) is 2022 and beyond.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #300
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I find myself agreeing with your posts a lot lately. Either your posts have educated me or I don't yet realize that I've had a stroke.

Anyway, I think you're right about the Trent situation. They'll probably put together a nice package of monetary and personal inducements for Trent. Why not guarantee the remainder of his contract in its entirety or rework a symbolic "Redskin for Life" contract? Let him know that he'll be re-named a Team Captain at the appropriate time just by coming back and being the leader he's always been plus, by coming back, he will guarantee himself a place in the Redskins Ring of Honor, and so forth.
Just curious, not disagreeing, but how you do that for TW, but then let RK go if they in fact do.

Closed Thread