Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2017 Redskins Salary Cap Status

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2017 Redskins Salary Cap Status

Hey folks with Restricted Free Agents (Wil Compton, Chris Thompson, Nsehke)...how does that work again? Do we slot them a one year tender offer that corresponds with a draft pick? Then they can 1) accept it and sign 2) Take the offer and negotiate with other teams and if the other team signs them, then we receive compensation in the form of draft pick? 3) And Id imagine we can just go ahead and sign them to a long term deal?

Sorry, im tripping on acid and confused...any help?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #32
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Hey folks with Restricted Free Agents (Wil Compton, Chris Thompson, Nsehke)...how does that work again? Do we slot them a one year tender offer that corresponds with a draft pick? Then they can 1) accept it and sign 2) Take the offer and negotiate with other teams and if the other team signs them, then we receive compensation in the form of draft pick? 3) And Id imagine we can just go ahead and sign them to a long term deal?

Sorry, im tripping on acid and confused...any help?
Red octopus flapjacks.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #33
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Redskins top restricted free agent Chris Thompson showed durability - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

Keim to the rescue..

The question will be: Which round will these players be tendered? The Redskins could do an original-round tender with Thompson, which means they’d receive a fifth-round pick if he left. They could also do a second-round tender, which would be nearly $1 million more – but they’d receive a second-round pick if he signed elsewhere and they failed to match.

With Nsekhe and Compton, both were undrafted so the Redskins can’t use an original-round tender on them. If they don’t use a second-round tender, they could lose them without compensation – but they would have the right of first refusal. Again, for approximately $1 million more, they could give them a second-round tender.

He Gets Us
Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

Last year, the tender values were:

Original Tender: $1.7M
Second Round Tender: $2.6M
First Round Tender: $3.6M

So on the safe side, assume Compton Nsekhe and Chris Thompson would all be given 2nd round tenders of $2.6M apiece. Maybe slightly more since there will be a year's worth of inflation applied.

In my OP I had Thompson coming back at $3.0, Compton at $4.0, and Nsekhe walking. You can make the mental adjustment there to understand cap impact.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #35
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Last year, the tender values were:

Original Tender: $1.7M
Second Round Tender: $2.6M
First Round Tender: $3.6M

So on the safe side, assume Compton Nsekhe and Chris Thompson would all be given 2nd round tenders of $2.6M apiece. Maybe slightly more since there will be a year's worth of inflation applied.

In my OP I had Thompson coming back at $3.0, Compton at $4.0, and Nsekhe walking. You can make the mental adjustment there to understand cap impact.
Agree, second round tender makes sense for all 3. Could you imagine flipping Nsekhe for a second round pick? that would be outstanding

He Gets Us
Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #36
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Agree, second round tender makes sense for all 3. Could you imagine flipping Nsekhe for a second round pick? that would be outstanding
I would rather have Nsekhe than a 2nd round pick. KC would be dead if we did not have him when Trent was out. There is no offensive line depth and it is a position prone to injuries.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #37
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

How does this tender thing work? Is it like baseball arbitration, where you can only use it up to a certain amount of years the player has been in the league? Then after that he's an unrestricted free agent?

I guess another question would be, for example why is Chris Thompson a restricted free agent instead of UFA?
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #38
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
That's my dream scenario. Although I wouldn't fault the Redskins if they let him walk so he can start for some other team. Ideally we flip him for something though, hell even a 3rd rounder would be nice. I'd love a high pick but he's already 30 (admittedly with very little wear-and-tear compared to other 30 year olds).
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #39
Schneed10
A Dude

Exclusive-rights free agents
Exclusive-rights free agents (ERFAs) are players with two or fewer seasons of service time and whose contracts have expired. If their team tenders a qualifying offer (a one-year contract usually at league-minimum salary) the player has no negotiating rights with other teams, and must either sign the tender with the team or sit out the season.[5]

Restricted free agents
Restricted free agents (RFAs) are players who have three or fewer accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. RFAs have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until a deadline which occurs approximately a week prior to the NFL Draft (for 2010 the deadline was April 15), at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.[6]

Unrestricted free agents
Unrestricted free agents are players with expired contracts that have completed four or more accrued seasons of service. They are free to sign with any franchise.[6]

Undrafted free agents
Undrafted free agents are players eligible for the NFL Draft but who are not selected; they can negotiate and sign with any team.

So Chris Thompson actually has 4 seasons under his belt, but he only officially accrued three NFL seasons because he was hurt so much for one of them (you have to be on the roster or practice squad for 6+ games in a season to have an accrued season, and not on IR during that time). So Thompson only has 3 accrued seasons right now, making him an RFA instead of a UFA.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

If Thompson plays under the one year tender in 2017 as an RFA, then next year he will have 4 accrued seasons and his contract will be expired, making him a UFA in 2018.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

For the Redskins, the course of action with Thompson is incredibly obvious: assign the 2nd round tender to ensure we retain him at around $2.6M in 2017, and make him prove one more time that he can stay healthy. If he does, then decide in 2018 whether you think he's worth a Darren Sproles type of contract.

You could eliminate the hemming and hawing and commit to him now, if you were convinced he is durable enough, and give him a 3 or 4 year deal similar to that of Sproles. But the cap implications of that wouldn't be much different from the $2.6M tender, so no real incentive to do that.

I'd bet good money he'll get a 2nd round tender and play on it in 2017.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #42
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Exclusive-rights free agents
Exclusive-rights free agents (ERFAs) are players with two or fewer seasons of service time and whose contracts have expired. If their team tenders a qualifying offer (a one-year contract usually at league-minimum salary) the player has no negotiating rights with other teams, and must either sign the tender with the team or sit out the season.[5]

Restricted free agents
Restricted free agents (RFAs) are players who have three or fewer accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. RFAs have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until a deadline which occurs approximately a week prior to the NFL Draft (for 2010 the deadline was April 15), at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.[6]

Unrestricted free agents
Unrestricted free agents are players with expired contracts that have completed four or more accrued seasons of service. They are free to sign with any franchise.[6]

Undrafted free agents
Undrafted free agents are players eligible for the NFL Draft but who are not selected; they can negotiate and sign with any team.

So Chris Thompson actually has 4 seasons under his belt, but he only officially accrued three NFL seasons because he was hurt so much for one of them (you have to be on the roster or practice squad for 6+ games in a season to have an accrued season, and not on IR during that time). So Thompson only has 3 accrued seasons right now, making him an RFA instead of a UFA.
Very helpful. Thank you.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #43
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
What would you do? You can't resign everyone and still expect a free agent bonanza - there will be some choices to make. Want Kawaan Short? You'll probably need to let a WR walk.

Also the numbers shown here next to most player names are educated guesses at cap impact. Feel free to debate those, but they shouldn't be more than a million or two off for each player.
of these guys, i'd like to keep:

Kirk Cousins Franchise Tag ($24.0M)
Pierre Garcon ($8.0M) - is his cap number really going to be $8m, though?!?
Chris Baker ($8.0M)
Vernon Davis ($3.0M)
Junior Galette ($1.5M)
Nick Sundberg ($1.0M)

Ziggy Hood ($2.0M)
Greg Toler ($1.0M)
Chris Thompson ($3.0M)
Will Compton ($4.0M)
Duke Ihenacho ($1.0M)

davis, hood, toler, thompson, and ihenacho can hit the bricks.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #44
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
of these guys, i'd like to keep:

Kirk Cousins Franchise Tag ($24.0M)
Pierre Garcon ($8.0M) - is his cap number really going to be $8m, though?!?
Chris Baker ($8.0M)
Vernon Davis ($3.0M)
Junior Galette ($1.5M)
Nick Sundberg ($1.0M)

Ziggy Hood ($2.0M)
Greg Toler ($1.0M)
Chris Thompson ($3.0M)
Will Compton ($4.0M)
Duke Ihenacho ($1.0M)

davis, hood, toler, thompson, and ihenacho can hit the bricks.
Surprised no love for Chris Thompson. Blitz pickup is an underappreciated skill it seems, but he threw a lot of blocks that saved Kirk's ass on some of those long-developing downfield routes. For Gruden's offense to work the backs absolutely have to pick up the blitz. Ironically, Clinton Portis would have been the absolute ideal Gruden back. Remember how wicked he was on stoning blitzing LBs?

Anyway, Garcon could be less than $8M but he's a 1000 yard receiver, who could potentially put up more in an offense that featured him more often, like in 2013 when he put up 1,346 as our only WR worth a crap. But he's 30, so if the Skins bring him back I'm assuming it will be on a 2 or 3 year deal, which of course minimizes your ability to spread a signing bonus over the life of the deal.

He's worth $9M a year on the open market in my mind, so $8M cap hit seems reasonable. He just came off a 5 year contract that paid him $8.5M per year, and that was signed 5 years ago. So on one hand you apply some inflation, on the other you shave a little value off because he's 30. So figure he'll get $9M or $10M per year on the open market.

If we gave him $27M over 3 years, the cap hit could be $8M in year 1, $9M in year 2, and $10M in year 3 depending how you structure it.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #45
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Surprised no love for Chris Thompson. Blitz pickup is an underappreciated skill it seems, but he threw a lot of blocks that saved Kirk's ass on some of those long-developing downfield routes. For Gruden's offense to work the backs absolutely have to pick up the blitz. Ironically, Clinton Portis would have been the absolute ideal Gruden back. Remember how wicked he was on stoning blitzing LBs?

Anyway, Garcon could be less than $8M but he's a 1000 yard receiver, who could potentially put up more in an offense that featured him more often, like in 2013 when he put up 1,346 as our only WR worth a crap. But he's 30, so if the Skins bring him back I'm assuming it will be on a 2 or 3 year deal, which of course minimizes your ability to spread a signing bonus over the life of the deal.

He's worth $9M a year on the open market in my mind, so $8M cap hit seems reasonable. He just came off a 5 year contract that paid him $8.5M per year, and that was signed 5 years ago. So on one hand you apply some inflation, on the other you shave a little value off because he's 30. So figure he'll get $9M or $10M per year on the open market.

If we gave him $27M over 3 years, the cap hit could be $8M in year 1, $9M in year 2, and $10M in year 3 depending how you structure it.
you're dead on about thompson's blitz pickup.

he's one i could go either way on. i have it in my head that it's a sin to sign or re-sign rbs.

i feel like you can always find them late in the draft or even as undrafted free agents.