Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #1036
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

I doubt Winston will be available. I suspect Payton sees him like a modern day Testaverde. If he can be cured of his INT throwing, he's got the skills to be a good QB.

I'd take Mariota if a better scenario didn't develop, but for a low cost trade. If someone offers the Raiders a 2nd or a 3rd, they're welcome to him, but if we could get him for say a 5th, that's not a bad result. Like Winston, it's not too late for him and he's shown signs; his worst season in Tenn was 2017 and overall he's rated a shade under 90. There's something to work with there.

But I'd still prefer us to use the draft even if it means rolling with Allen/Heinicke for next year.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #1037
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I doubt Winston will be available. I suspect Payton sees him like a modern day Testaverde. If he can be cured of his INT throwing, he's got the skills to be a good QB.

I'd take Mariota if a better scenario didn't develop, but for a low cost trade. If someone offers the Raiders a 2nd or a 3rd, they're welcome to him, but if we could get him for say a 5th, that's not a bad result. Like Winston, it's not too late for him and he's shown signs; his worst season in Tenn was 2017 and overall he's rated a shade under 90. There's something to work with there.

But I'd still prefer us to use the draft even if it means rolling with Allen/Heinicke for next year.
Good post.

I'd be willing to trade one of our two third round picks for Mariota.

I don't foresee our getting a QB we would want in the draft but stranger things have happened.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #1038
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Mac Jones at 19 is intriguing.. He looks to be pro ready but it's so hard to bank on a rookie
Old 02-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #1039
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think Mac Jones at 19 is intriguing.. He looks to be pro ready but it's so hard to bank on a rookie
Jones can make all the throws. Isn't he a bit of a statue, though? Is he mobile enough for our ideal offense?

Also, I have a problem in general in trying to imagine how a QB who has stood untouched behind a dominant OL and thrown to wide open receivers throughout his college career might do in the pros when he will be under pressure throwing to receivers who are much more closely covered.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #1040
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Jones can make all the throws. Isn't he a bit of a statue, though? Is he mobile enough for our ideal offense?

Also, I have a problem in general in trying to imagine how a QB who has stood untouched behind a dominant OL and thrown to wide open receivers throughout his college career might do in the pros when he will be under pressure throwing to receivers who are much more closely covered.
This ^ Just don't trust him when he's had it so easy on that team. I could see him being another Ryan Mallett or Matt Cassel...talented, but just not quite good enough for NFL.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #1041
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Old 02-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #1042
MTK
\m/

^^ We'd be crazy to not look into it
Old 02-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #1043
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
^^ We'd be crazy to not look into it
If this team got Wilson or Watson, it's an instant contender
Old 02-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #1044
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:

Isn't that what Tua had?
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #1045
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Isn't that what Tua had?
Oh, has Tua made it in the NFL, then? I hadn't noticed.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #1046
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Yup. I think for the first time in a long time, we seem to have the pieces (top defense, good running game, star WR, and whatever other positions we acquire in free agency) to be in a position where acquiring a top QB can make us into a playoff contender.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #1047
Scalper

Quote:
Good post.

I'd be willing to trade one of our two third round picks for Mariota.

I don't foresee our getting a QB we would want in the draft but stranger things have happened.
Use that third to draft a QB rather than spend it on a QB that has had numerous opportunities but never showed moxy.

Still amazing that everyone is so ready to waste draft picks on retread QBs.

That 3rd round pick could be a FS, a CB, a #2 WR, etc.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #1048
Scalper

Quote:
LOL.
No way.
First, why would Wilson who is complaining about blocking come here, one of the most dysfunctional franchises long-term, when we have no franchise LT, and only one above average lineman, Scherff?

We aren't getting Wilson. No one is. Houston will let him hold out before they trade him. NEVER going to happen.

Even if it did, we have a stud DL and not a single other elite unit, and only one player, McL, that any other team would honestly want or call anything approaching elite. We are 1-2 drafts from contending even with QB solved. Which is of course why trading for a QB is foolish.

The two SB teams were stacked with elite talent at every level, as were the teams that made deep playoff runs. We again beat ONE winning team this year, snuck into playoffs 7-9, losing record, got soundly beaten by the Bucs, and we're all the sudden a contender? Can I have some of what you're smoking?

If this team got Watson or Wilson, it would never contend, because it needs a TON more talent via draft, and we'd have to trade so much for these QBs that we couldn't acquire that talent.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #1049
Scalper

Quote:

Good scouts and GMs can get a sense of how a QB will be in the pros. They throw out all the gravy plays, and look at the times things breakdown or he's under pressure, all QBs have such plays. While finding QBs still hard, many of the huge busts looked great on the gravy plays but horrible on the harder NFL-style plays, but scouts just ignored it.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #1050
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Oh, has Tua made it in the NFL, then? I hadn't noticed.
No he hasn't but with arguably more talent around him at Alabama he was rated as a top five talent that some in the Washington fanbase wanted to draft at No 2. Personally I am not a fan of Tua and was not interested in drafting him. This year has shown him to be less spectacular without the Alabama advantage. But at 19 with some better QB traits Mac Jones is not so outrageous a pick, I wouldn't be unhappy with it though I would rather not go QB at 19, either strengthen the rest of the team or trade it for a viable starter at QB
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote