Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT's Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #991
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: WFT's Off-Season Thread

Just saw KJ Wright and Kwon Alexander are still available, what would you think of Wright on a 1yr deal/Alexander on a long term deal to go along Holcomb and (hopefully) a highly drafted rookie ?

Post draft they'd have to review their salary's expectations down, wouldn't they ? Maybe even Alexander would want a 1yr prove it deal.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #992
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Just saw KJ Wright and Kwon Alexander are still available, what would you think of Wright on a 1yr deal/Alexander on a long term deal to go along Holcomb and (hopefully) a highly drafted rookie ?

Post draft they'd have to review their salary's expectations down, wouldn't they ? Maybe even Alexander would want a 1yr prove it deal.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
I would like the idea of signing Alexander, although I think he is still healing from the achilles injury so he might not be ready by the time season starts. Nonetheless I still think he can help our defense.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #993
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I watched the coaches film of our game against the Bengals last year, keeping a eye on William Jackson III on one side and Darby on the other.
I think the upgrade is clear and obvious. WJ3 seems to be a very good and physical corner. Played press coverage against Terry most of the game, and was really efficient doing so. Darby (who I thought had a good season with us last year) was playing off coverage and had some suspect footwork at times.

A couple very good plays by WJ3 vs Terry:

On top, no comment needed :

Bottom, WJ3 is supposed to have inside help by the safety (I'm guessing some sort of Cover 3) who bites on the post route by Cam Sims, and despite not having inside help he has air tight coverage, Terry just makes an incredible catch:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #994
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Disclaimer: I'm aware Brandon Scherff currently is our best lineman, and one of the top G in the league. I love him as a player, always have.

This is just to my point that I didn't feel like last season was his best one. And maybe people seriously studying tape disagree with me, and maybe overall on the whole season I'm just dead wrong.

I just had plays like this flashing in my head, and stumbled on this one rewatching last year game agains the Bengals (see post above), and felt like, maybe because he was playing banged up, he was not at the top of this game:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #995
Scalper

Quote:
Disclaimer: I'm aware Brandon Scherff currently is our best lineman, and one of the top G in the league. I love him as a player, always have.

This is just to my point that I didn't feel like last season was his best one. And maybe people seriously studying tape disagree with me, and maybe overall on the whole season I'm just dead wrong.

I just had plays like this flashing in my head, and stumbled on this one rewatching last year game agains the Bengals (see post above), and felt like, maybe because he was playing banged up, he was not at the top of this game:
He's a great player, but gets blown up in pass protection more than he should. He misses tons of games, a third historically, and then is banged up much of time he starts, no way we should be paying a guy like that a huge long-term deal. I still firmly believe that sticking point was guarantees in contract, overall and for injury, not total monetary value. I have seen plays where guys just run right by him like a statue totally healthy, on pass protection. Not tons of them, but only takes one to get your QB killed. Let some other team pay him a fortune and we'll take the comp pick. Not hating on him, but is the smart business decision.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #996
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Finally, just another random play I stumbled on, to remind everybody that, despite the comeback story being absolutely awesome, despite the man being incredibly inspiring, Alex Smith wasn't a great fit here, and, except a couple of games, wasn't playing very well for us.
Don't know if there's a coverage snaffu or if WJ3 has the flat and just bites on the checkdown too early... Anyway Terry is wide open but Alex throws the checkdown. Still a 1st down but could've been a lot more.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #997
GridIron26
Playmaker

FrenchSkins, thanks for the posts. I agree with the Jackson post, he will be a great addition to the defense.

I just found an interesting nugget about Scherff and contract talks - there is one podcast that had an interview with Logan Paulson (our old TE) recently, he said that Scherff wasn't happy with the new extension contract offered by WFT so he wants to move on from WFT. I don't know if Paulson has the latest info but he knows Scherff so who knows..
Old 05-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #998
GridIron26
Playmaker

For those fans who are upset with WFT for not drafting a QB - read this nice article by Keim about WFT's plans for the QB position.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #999
MTK
\m/

The only QB I would have sold the farm for in this draft was Lawrence. He's the biggest sure thing there was. All the rest, meh. Not worth trading up for or wasting a roster spot on a guy that needs serious development.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #1000
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:

Nice video posts French. Im excited for jackson and also thought Scherff was a plus player but didnt have his personal best year ... was then made all -pro ..
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #1001
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
FrenchSkins, thanks for the posts. I agree with the Jackson post, he will be a great addition to the defense.

I just found an interesting nugget about Scherff and contract talks - there is one podcast that had an interview with Logan Paulson (our old TE) recently, he said that Scherff wasn't happy with the new extension contract offered by WFT so he wants to move on from WFT. I don't know if Paulson has the latest info but he knows Scherff so who knows..
RR said hes had no communication with Scherffs agent ... should have let him walk this year or done something to not let it get to this point.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #1002
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
For those fans who are upset with WFT for not drafting a QB - read this nice article by Keim about WFT's plans for the QB position.
It's a good point that what ever we debate about the picks this year, all of last years picks are still with the team. It doesn't mean a hell of a lot as some of them haven't seen the field yet, but it's a good sign of how we're building. If Fitz does well enough this year I have no issue if they keep him on again and not forcing a QB pick again like Haskins.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #1003
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
RR said hes had no communication with Scherffs agent ... should have let him walk this year or done something to not let it get to this point.
Include him in the Rodgers deal.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #1004
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Nice video posts French. Im excited for jackson and also thought Scherff was a plus player but didnt have his personal best year ... was then made all -pro ..
Yop, the thing is All Pro seems to be way more legit than Pro Bowl, but from what I understood it's still sports writers making the selection, so I have a hard time seeing how they can't be somewhat wrong from time to time. Like not wrong on the player, but not watching EVERY player from EVERY team enough to actually know if they had their best season or not.
Anyway, maybe we're just wrong on this, one bad play doesn't reflect all of one season's snaps, my point was just to show why I had this idea in mind.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #1005
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...acity-in-2021/

WFT Announce Fed Ex stadium will have full stadium capacity

Full capacity, which is absolutely the correct call. Good…this dub feels just like last weekend.

Can’t wait to see those Redskins flags waving in the parking lots…

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 05-06-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote