Rate Gigity's draft.

Fantasy Football

Old 08-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Rate Gigity's draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
My feeling is you're being WAY too nice about the WR corps. I'd give it an F. Driver is the only one with a shot at cracking the top 20 WRs.
Yeah, I was about to give it a D and I probably should've. To me, an "F" would be NO valuable players, he has 1.

He has extra players (and Cincy) to use to upgrade the WRs though, so it's not a lost season yet.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

oh yeah schneed.......hi!
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #18
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

One point to make about drafting with regards to bye weeks. Don't give it it so much weight that you select an inferior player over a better performing player. The loss of a player affects one week. The use of an inferior player affects the entire season.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
i think the only one that was left was holt. i thought he would fall down as far as my next pick and he almost did. some guy picked him right before i picked gates.
You said that you picked Rudi at 12, and I'm going to assume that LJ, Alexander, and Tomlinson all went in the top 3. That means that if Chad Johnson, Cadillac, Lamont, Steven Jackson, and Steve Smith were all gone by pick 13, that means one of the following had to be available:

Ronnie Brown
Edgerrin James
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber

You're officially certifiable to pass on any one of those guys for Tom Brady at 13.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #20
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

I am apparently not as fantasy savvy as you schneed. I am sorry to offend you by my shitty draft. Since this is only my third every fantasy league I would still consider myself a rookie. Now that you have smashed what little bit of confidence I had, I think I may just shoot myself now.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I am apparently not as fantasy savvy as you schneed. I am sorry to offend you by my shitty draft. Since this is only my third every fantasy league I would still consider myself a rookie. Now that you have smashed what little bit of confidence I had, I think I may just shoot myself now.
LOL sorry homie. I don't mean to be harsh or critical in any way. Your thread asked for opinions in a public forum, so I gave my opinion. My choice of words was probably poor in calling you crazy and stuff like that, so I'm sorry about that (really I mean it). I probably should have just said A, B, and C were mistakes.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #22
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Its cool Shneed. I am still very green when it comes to fantasy football.I'll be the first one to admit that this one wasn't very good. I am going to use all the advice on a future draft I have coming up on the 28th. I am still learning how to draft. When I got stuck with the 12th pick it kinda messed up my whole plan. All my top guys at every position(excpet defense) was already taken and i kinda pannicked and totally threw away my plan of going rb with my first 2 picks.

In my own defense, its a team with 2 owners. my co-worker and i went in together. I had to comprimise on quite a few picks. My next draft will be much better. Please give me another chance????.....=sniff,sniff=....please?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Its cool Shneed. I am still very green when it comes to fantasy football.I'll be the first one to admit that this one wasn't very good. I am going to use all the advice on a future draft I have coming up on the 28th. I am still learning how to draft. When I got stuck with the 12th pick it kinda messed up my whole plan. All my top guys at every position(excpet defense) was already taken and i kinda pannicked and totally threw away my plan of going rb with my first 2 picks.

In my own defense, its a team with 2 owners. my co-worker and i went in together. I had to comprimise on quite a few picks. My next draft will be much better. Please give me another chance????.....=sniff,sniff=....please?
I've got a few suggestions if you're interested, by no means is this the Bible but it's one experienced player's opinion:

1) It usually doesn't pay to take a QB early, unless his name is Peyton Manning. The difference from the #2 QB (Brady) to the #8-10 QB (Delhomme, Warner) isn't that great. You can hold off on a QB till like the 6th or 7th round and still get a pretty dependable one. That allows you to focus on RBs and WRs early.

2) Same concept applies to defenses. Chicago seems to be the best. But I wouldn't take a D too early because the difference from the #2 D isn't very big from the #12. Waiting on a D till round 8 again allows you to build valuable depth at RB and WR.

3) If you can land two stud RBs in the first two rounds, that's pretty huge. If it comes around to your 2nd rounder and you don't see an RB studly enough, there should be a top-flight WR available (Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt, TO, Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin).

4) Here's a good link for overall player rankings. By no means do you have to stick to it, but if you find yourself picking a player 12-24 spots before this thing says you should, it's likely that you're making a mistake.

Yahoo! Sports - Fantasy - Big(ger) Board: Football
Old 08-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
This is one I have going with another guy at work. I wont be able to keep up with it every week so he is going to help me out when I cant do it.The draft was last night.

We got stuck with the last pick of the 1rst round(12 teams)

QB: Brady,Volek
RB: Rudi Johnson,J.Lewis,L.Betts
WR:R.Brown(philly),Toomer,Driver
TEallas Clark,Gates
D/ST:Chicago,Cincy
K:Graham(Cincy)

The wideouts are weak but I have some tradde bait with Clark and Volek!
I like this draft more than most people would. You are very strong at TE, Def, and Kicker. Those positions usually get overlooked, but in many cases decide the winner and loser of close games.

You will need to upgrade your WRs, but this can be done through Free Agency throughout the year. No need to rush out and make a deal.

I would try to upgrade Lewis. Maybe you could package him with Betts to the guy who has Portis for a better back.

In a 12 team league, you are very well off as is.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Did you listen to that Fantasy Football commercial on the NFL Network?

Quote:
Take a kicker early, don't worry about running backs until later rounds, you can always trade for one and oh yeah, Manning retired..."which one?"...Both of them!
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 AM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

not a good draft

if you follow the yahoo etc pre-ranking list you could do better until you have your sea-legs.

try to pickup dante hall, wes welker, mike bell, or frank gore on waivers if available (also, hall and welker are only good if return yardage counts and are very good if you get 1 point per reception as well).

chris perry is also better than l betts is a point per reception league and is almost gauranteed to be undrafted. see if a guy like terry glenn or brandon lloyd slipped through the cracks (happens sometimes) or consider barlow.

drop volek for mcnair or bledsoe if available, volek isn't gauranteed starting time. drop cinncy DEF for RB/WR depth and see if betts or toomer can be updgraded.

you're going to have to waiver wire snipe like crazy to try and get that team into the playoffs, but i've made it work before (when i had p holmes, gonzo, d jackson, d mccalister, and d culpepper all on the same team last year. what i thought was my best team ever turned into its own hospital wing :/ )
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #27
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

i have offered a couple of trades. this is the one i hope works out

Clark for Reggie Wayne(the guy is loaded with wideouts and has yet to pickup a te)
Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
i have offered a couple of trades. this is the one i hope works out

Clark for Reggie Wayne(the guy is loaded with wideouts and has yet to pickup a te)
that's completely one sided, but if he's silly enough to bite, that'd be a major win for you.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #29
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

alright guys! this is my other team. i used some of the advice schneed gave me. tell me what you think.

this league was set up a bit different. instead of picking a whole defensive squad, you pick one player.and we have an additional slot for a wr or rb in addition to the already 2 rb's and 2 wr's each sunday. that spot is T.J. houshman.....

Qb:Mcnabb,Brunell,
RB:L.johnson,McGahee,Foster,T.Jones
WR:Mason,Fitzgerald,M.Jones(JAC),T.J.Houshman..... ,
TE: Cooley, Stevens
Defensive player:Tatupu
K:Feely, Kaeding
Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
alright guys! this is my other team. i used some of the advice schneed gave me. tell me what you think.

this league was set up a bit different. instead of picking a whole defensive squad, you pick one player.and we have an additional slot for a wr or rb in addition to the already 2 rb's and 2 wr's each sunday. that spot is T.J. houshman.....

Qb:Mcnabb,Brunell,
RB:L.johnson,McGahee,Foster,T.Jones
WR:Mason,Fitzgerald,M.Jones(JAC),T.J.Houshman..... ,
TE: Cooley, Stevens
Defensive player:Tatupu
K:Feely, Kaeding
Much, MUCH better, Gigity.

A stud in LJ, McGahee looks great in preseason so far, and Foster and Jones provide two guys who add great depth because they play for winning teams whose coaches love to run the ball and play keep away when they have the lead.

McNabb is solid and Brunell gives you a good backup.

Mason, Fitzgerald, and TJ Housemazilli are a great top 3 WRs. Matt Jones could pay off huge, though you don't even need him to.

Cooley should be a top 5 or 6 TE. Jeramy Stevens is out for 8 weeks, so you can drop him and grab more depth somewhere else. You probably don't need a backup kicker either. I'd keep Feely, Giants should score well.

I think you've got a serious contender here. Well done.