Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 98,062
Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Long overdue
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
sdskinsfan2001
Hakuna Matata
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Age: 39
Posts: 14,620
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

I hope whoever was involved in honoring Sean Taylor is not involved with this one.

Congrats to Sonny Jurgensen and his family. Always great to see franchise legends honored. Well deserved.
__________________
https://linktr.ee/summo13

Acts 16:31: Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 98,062
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I hope whoever was involved in honoring Sean Taylor is not involved with this one.

Congrats to Sonny Jurgensen and his family. Always great to see franchise legends honored. Well deserved.
No offense to Sean at all, but Sonny and some others deserved this honor before him.

I don't want to see any porta pottie shots from this, or Dan showing up looking haggard in a hoodie.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
nonniey
Impact Rookie
 
nonniey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 766
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

What I don't get is - didn't Sonny's jersey get retired 2 years ago? Along with every other player's jersey who had ever played for the Redskins?
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #5
nonniey
Impact Rookie
 
nonniey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 766
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
No offense to Sean at all, but Sonny and some others deserved this honor before him.

I don't want to see any porta pottie shots from this, or Dan showing up looking haggard in a hoodie.

Well, to be honest Sean didn't deserve to have his jersey retired at all. Not his fault but he just didn't accomplish enough.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,500
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Well, to be honest Sean didn't deserve to have his jersey retired at all. Not his fault but he just didn't accomplish enough.
Agree. He was a good player but Sonny deserved this a long long time ago.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 98,062
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Well, to be honest Sean didn't deserve to have his jersey retired at all. Not his fault but he just didn't accomplish enough.
Well that's just it, it wasn't his fault he was killed, had he lived he very likely would have had a HOF worthy career.

I don't have a problem with his number being retired, it just didn't need to happen ahead of those more deserving like Sonny.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 98,062
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey



Man he must have been fun to watch
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 15,988
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

I'm just waiting to see how the front office will screw this up, cause you know they're going to. They just can't get things like this right.

Whatever they do, don't go out there on Sonny's day and call him a fucking Commander. Don't disrespect him like that.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Forida
Posts: 5,840
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
No offense to Sean at all, but Sonny and some others deserved this honor before him.

I don't want to see any porta pottie shots from this, or Dan showing up looking haggard in a hoodie.
I don't think you've got much to worry about. First, the "brain trust" will probably have learned enough to lock the porta-potties that will be lining Sonny Lane prior to the ceremony to keep the odor down. Unfortunately, it would cost too much to move them, plus they'll be needed for the comfort of the fans afterwards.

Secondly, Snyder probably won't be there at all. He'll probably be on his yacht outside of U.S. territorial waters hiding from federal authorities.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,355
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Well that's just it, it wasn't his fault he was killed, had he lived he very likely would have had a HOF worthy career.

I don't have a problem with his number being retired, it just didn't need to happen ahead of those more deserving like Sonny.
Sums it up for me - and ST is my all-time favorite Redskin.

Sonny should open the floodgates - Monk, Green off the top of my head deserve it too.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,355
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I don't think you've got much to worry about. First, the "brain trust" will probably have learned enough to lock the porta-potties that will be lining Sonny Lane prior to the ceremony to keep the odor down. Unfortunately, it would cost too much to move them, plus they'll be needed for the comfort of the fans afterwards.

Secondly, Snyder probably won't be there at all. He'll probably be on his yacht outside of U.S. territorial waters hiding from federal authorities.
Snyder will be attending in spirit from his IMAX theater on his yacht.

He'll be rocking his best tv interview wear for the occasion.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #13
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 98,062
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Depending on how the elections go Snyder may be free and clear to be back in the US by January.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 19,355
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Depending on how the elections go Snyder may be free and clear to be back in the US by January.
Do you hear that Chico? A vote for conservatives is a vote in favor of Snyder's ownership.

I actually just came in this thread to drop this link about JP Finlay's favorite Sonny story.

I don't have many great Sonny stories because his golden years on the field and in the booth were before my time but that story is hilarious
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #15
Onaroll
Camp Scrub
 
Onaroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 24
Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

My Favorite Sonny Jurgensen Stat was:

In his Final Season, he LED THE NFC Completions 64.1 PCT and in Passer Rating 94%: AT 40 yrs OLD unheard of at the time!
Onaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.12587 seconds with 10 queries