Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #31
calia
Playmaker

Re: Alex Smith released from hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
lol...trading for Wentz.

if we going there, why not trade for Aaron Rodgers, Todd Gurley, JJ Watt, Bill Belichek, lets resurrect Jack Kent Cooke from the dead to buy the team back, etc.

I’d be cool with all this. Let’s get Chip Lohmiller back too. Off the stone guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #32
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
He said something along the lines of its usually a 6 MO recovery but I don't think he said Alex will be back
If we're referring to what Gruden said on the day the injury happened, which is well before anybody knew Alex had developed an infection, and expecting to hold Gruden to those comments, then we've collectively lost our fucking minds.

Obviously when Gruden said these broken legs are typically 6 months to recover, he was talking about a common uncomplicated version.

Not aimed at you, but the inability of some to digest nuance is asinine. Nobody can get pissed at Gruden over this.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If we're referring to what Gruden said on the day the injury happened, which is well before anybody knew Alex had developed an infection, and expecting to hold Gruden to those comments, then we've collectively lost our fucking minds.

Obviously when Gruden said these broken legs are typically 6 months to recover, he was talking about a common uncomplicated version.

Not aimed at you, but the inability of some to digest nuance is asinine. Nobody can get pissed at Gruden over this.
No but we can be mad at everything else!!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #34
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

This is literally like the worst reason to get mad at Gruden. Plenty of other reasons (can't pick a d-coordinator for shit comes to mind) but insinuating Alex will play in 2019? LOL. Attention to details folks.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

I believe it was the day after the surgery when Gruden predicted a 6-8 month recovery, obviously before all the complications set in. Holding him to that word is ridiculous.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #36
ForkLifter
Camp Scrub

So many of us may have heard on the radio driving to work this morning on 980 about the article quoting the former San Diego team orthopedist, where he basically opined that Alex Smith's chances of making a return to the NFL are at risk. This due to the type of brace he was wearing, which indicates that the plates/hardware initially inserted to assist in the healing process had been removed due to infection.

At any rate, I exchanged notes with a good friend of mine who is also an orthopedic surgeon (i know, everyone knows an expert) and a former I-AA football player, and asked him what he thought. His response was "yeah, it looks like he's f-----." Same friend had also mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that he may need a graft, which the article indicates may spell the end of his career.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #37
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkLifter View Post
So many of us may have heard on the radio driving to work this morning on 980 about the article quoting the former San Diego team orthopedist, where he basically opined that Alex Smith's chances of making a return to the NFL are at risk. This due to the type of brace he was wearing, which indicates that the plates/hardware initially inserted to assist in the healing process had been removed due to infection.

At any rate, I exchanged notes with a good friend of mine who is also an orthopedic surgeon (i know, everyone knows an expert) and a former I-AA football player, and asked him what he thought. His response was "yeah, it looks like he's f-----." Same friend had also mentioned to me a couple weeks ago that he may need a graft, which the article indicates may spell the end of his career.

It definitely doesn't look good. Best case scenario, he returns in 2020. By then, I think he's 37 and will not have played in a year and a half. He didn't look that great before the injury. By then, we're likely seeing a coaching change (unless the 'skins do make the playoffs, lol) and I don't know how Smith works into that equation.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #38
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I believe it was the day after the surgery when Gruden predicted a 6-8 month recovery, obviously before all the complications set in. Holding him to that word is ridiculous.

Dude is not playing next year if ever at all.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #39
ForkLifter
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
It definitely doesn't look good. Best case scenario, he returns in 2020. By then, I think he's 37 and will not have played in a year and a half. He didn't look that great before the injury. By then, we're likely seeing a coaching change (unless the 'skins do make the playoffs, lol) and I don't know how Smith works into that equation.
Better to pay him to be a backup than to pay him to sit at home. Sucks if thats the best case scenario. Don't know who the hell this team could draft or afford by then so anyway., so looks like we're fucked.

Maybe there's a Doug Flutie guy in the CFL or something.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #40
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Smith ain't even gonna be the backup this year. He's probably looking at PUP list at a minimum, and even then they might not activate him after week 6. We should just assume he's done at this point in the game given his age and the type of injury it is.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #41
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkLifter View Post
Better to pay him to be a backup than to pay him to sit at home. Sucks if thats the best case scenario. Don't know who the hell this team could draft or afford by then so anyway., so looks like we're fucked.

Maybe there's a Doug Flutie guy in the CFL or something.
AS is getting paid either way . The call will be his and his wife's to make if he ever plays again.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #42
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Plan A for the QB position needs to be about moving forward without the services of Alex Smith. I would have no qualms about trading for Carson Wentz. Wentz has all the tools needed to make a big comeback.

If Alex Smith were my son I wouldn't want him to play NFL football again. It is just too risky. I just hope he recovers enough to be able to walk.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #43
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Plan A for the QB position needs to be about moving forward without the services of Alex Smith. I would have no qualms about trading for Carson Wentz. Wentz has all the tools needed to make a big comeback.

If Alex Smith were my son I wouldn't want him to play NFL football again. It is just too risky. I just hope he recovers enough to be able to walk.
Guys Carson Wentz is not coming to WSH lol, its insane to even think about this. The Eagles already said he's the guy and thank you to Nick Foles. We are drafting a rookie to start most likely, unless AZ takes Murray and we trade for Rosen.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #44
ForkLifter
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Smith ain't even gonna be the backup this year. He's probably looking at PUP list at a minimum, and even then they might not activate him after week 6. We should just assume he's done at this point in the game given his age and the type of injury it is.
I guess its still early on in the "recovery" phase, but from all reports things are leaning in that direction. I'm going to start researching the CFL for the Doug Flutie guy.

EDIT:

Mike Reilly: https://www.cfl.ca/players/mike-reilly/131087/

Bo Levi Mitchell: https://www.cfl.ca/players/bo-levi-mitchell/158222/ (love the double name)

Trevor Harris: https://www.cfl.ca/players/trevor-harris/156305/ (this guy went to D2 Edinboro "Fighting Scots")

Lots of options now.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #45
Irrefutable
The Starter

Assuming Alex Smith is done they need two QBs. This is Colts last year.

Alex would be cut in 2020, cost $16 million.
Closed Thread