Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

(updated title): Make Your Day One Redskins Draft Selections (Rounds 1-2)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
81forHOF
Impact Rookie

Re: Time To Be A GM: Your 1st Round Pick Is...

I HAVE GOT THE PICK FOR US!!

The best value at #21 is Brandon Albert OG from Virginia. I just looked at some footage on him @ NFL.com and he is a MONSTER. He pulls, finishes, awesome at the 2nd (and 3rd) level, has the size and athletesism to play tackle in a pinch, run blocks like Tre Johnson, pass blocking is solid. You need to check this guy out!!

I say we get Jared Allen if FA and draft this beast in the 1st rnd! Then grab a WR or CB in the 2nd.

NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League

It is the vid titled Long On Talent where Maylock breaks down the top OL prospects.

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #32
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forHOF View Post

The best value at #21 is Brandon Albert OG from Virginia. I just looked at some footage on him @ NFL.com and he is a MONSTER. He pulls, finishes, awesome at the 2nd (and 3rd) level, has the size and athletesism to play tackle in a pinch, run blocks like Tre Johnson, pass blocking is solid. You need to check this guy out!!

I say we get Jared Allen if FA and draft this beast in the 1st rnd! Then grab a WR or CB in the 2nd.
Albert is a monster. 6-7 310- he's like Ogden. I personally think though that we need to go CB or WR in the first round and fill in the Oline with later picks.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #33
81forHOF
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Albert is a monster. 6-7 310- he's like Ogden. I personally think though that we need to go CB or WR in the first round and fill in the Oline with later picks.
I would normally agree but some guys you just gotta grab.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #34
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Todd McShay said if Talib has a good combine he'll be a top 10 pick. Everyone has a bad game every now and then. Overall body of work, Talib is a 1st rounder no doubt. I haven't seen a mock draft that doesn't have him in the top 32.
If "If's" were "Fifths," we'd all be drunk. Yes, I understand if he has a good combine he can be selected top ten, and that goes for any other prospect rated around the same area as Talib (DRCromartie, Leodis McKelvin, and Phillip Merling).

I haven't seen a draft with him in the top 32 either, but I am not debating whether or not he is good, I am talking about "how" good he is in relationship to where he should be valued as a draft pick. Right now, without the combine, he is "no doubt" a 1st rounder, but having seen his shortcomings exposed by lower rated talent, I believe he will be picked up in the late 1st round .

I think I wouldn't be able to use this example if he was cooked by better receivers like L. Sweed, M. Kelly, and DaSean Jackson (all projected "elite" 1st round talent), because one would expect him to lose a battle to a top ranked receiver. Here, in this case, he got outplayed the entire day by their only serious WR there - Jordy Nelson.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #35
That Guy
Living Legend

I'd be happy with a lot of guys at #21 (DL would be the biggest immediate impact, followed by phillips at safety, but cromartie would still be good for the long term)
cromartie
phillips
DL (harvey, balmer, campbell, etc)
d jackson (only 1st round wr i'd bother with, though i'd rather go FA (CJ, R williams, fitzgerald are all possible)
kieth rivers/dan connor

i'm not really a fan of OL/LB/RBs in the 1st round (outside of franchise LTs), but our 2nd rounder should be an OT or OG unless someone really falls (and some non needs with great value like felix jones or chad henne might be there)
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

OK, this thread is now about Day One. So rounds 1-2
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Re: (updated title): Make Your Day One Redskins Draft Predictions (Rounds 1-2)

This would be my best case senerio.

1st round-DE

Phillip Merling DE Clemson 6'5" 280lbs 4.75
2005 Tackles-22 TFL-4 Sacks-2
2006 Tackles-46 TFL-10 Sacks-3
2007 Tackles-78 TFL-17 Sacks-7
This guy is an absolute monster. Besides Chris Long there is not another DE in the draft as complete as Merling. He has a non-stop motor that gets to the QB but is also very tough against the run unlike some of the other DE's being discussed (Harvey,Gholston,Groves). He has been improving every year at Clemson and looks to have big time pro potential. I think he would be a great complement to Carter.

Other option: Calais Campbell- Huge prospect with potential to blow up but also looks like he has some potential to be a bust, I would take my chances though.

2nd round-CB

Tracy Porter CB Indiana 5'11" 185lbs 4.4
2005 Tackles-48 PBU-6 INT-3
2006 Tackles-59 PBU-8 INT-4
2007 Tackles-83 PBU-4 INT-6
With the concern of Rogers health and Springs age CB needs to be addressed early. Porter is a tough man to man cover corner that locked WR's down all year in the Big 10. He followed his season up with a stellar Senior Bowl. It is estimated he runs a 4.4 but look for him to blaze the competition at the combine with a sub 4.4. The great thing about Porter is he is ready to play now and could be a major problem as a punt or kick returner, especially if Rock leaves. Think of Porter as this years Richard Marshall....

Other option: Antoine Cason- I think he will be gone by this point but I don't look for him to run a blazing 40 which may drop him a bit. Still a ballhawking CB with great return ability. Has all the intangibles you look for in a CB.

3rd Round-WR or O-line

Adrian Arrington WR Michigan 6'3" 195lbs 4.55
2006 544yrds 8TDs
2007 882yrds 8TDs
Averaged over 13 yards per catch the past two years. Good size and great hands. Potential to be the great red zone/possession WR we need. May be able to pick him up later in the draft depending on how he runs at the combine. Potential to be a big time steal.

Other option:
Devin Thomas WR Michigan St- I would definatly take Thomas over Arrington but he will most likely be gone by this spot. Thomas is a major threat in the return game and at 6'2" 215 plays MUCH bigger, very fast and strong.

Keenan Burton WR Kentucky- Very productive WR with good size and great speed. May be able to help in the kick return game. 43.5 inch vert would make him a great asset in the red zone

If we go O-Line.......
Anthony Collins OT Kansas- Looks like a young poor man's Samuels. Good size at 6'5" 310. Big time sleeper in this draft. Great in pass protection. Outland finalist this year as a JR. Huge potential that could make things a little more comfortable if Jansen or Samuels would go down. Also grooms a starter for the future.

Other option:
Oniel Cousins OT/OG UTEP- Versitility makes Cousins a good fit. Could bulk up at 6'4" 305lbs but very athletic and could be a great pulling guard because of his quickness.

2nd Day Possibilities

Mario Urrutia WR Louisville- Huge WR 6'6" that could be a late round steal if can be motivated.

Kellen Davis TE Michigan St- Very athletic and good blocker.

Barry Richardson OT Clemson- Monster (6'7" 330), being slept on because of inconsistency but has great ability.

Heath Benedict OT/OG Newberry- Versitle, great run blocker

Roy Schuening OG Oregon St.-4 year starter, good size (6'4" 317), plays smart

Nick Watkins OLB Clemson- very productive

Wesley Woodyard OLB Kentucky- undersized but all over the field

J Leman ILB Illinois- non stop player, think Zach Thomas, going to be a huge steal

Trae Williams CB South Florida- over shadowed by Jenkins but a very good CB

Chevis Jackson CB LSU- Not a blazer but could be a good nickle, could be a great safety

Tyrell Johnson S Arkansas St- very productive small school prospect, good size and speed.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #38
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

round 1: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB, TSU
round 2: Chris Ellis DE, Virginia Tech

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Having selected Calais Campbell in the first round, the Redskins opt to bolster their offense this time around with the selection of Devin Thomas out of Michigan State.

I agree SkinsFanSince91, he's a stud and a good fit for what we need at the WR position, and I think there's a still a good chance he'll be around at #51. So, I'd wait it out and maybe trade up in the 2nd round if need be.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #40
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forHOF View Post

NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League

It is the vid titled Long On Talent where Maylock breaks down the top OL prospects.
I posted the same thing in another thread yesterday. I like Albert a lot & the main reason he'd be worth picking at #21 (if he's there), is that he can play guard or tackle. We need that versatility because in all likelihood at least one of our reserve o linemen will see considerable time this year.

If not Albert, I'm going:
1) c. Campbell or L. Jackson, DE
2) Brandon Flowers, CB, Va. TEch
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #41
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

Round 1: Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
Round 2: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Things are looking good for both our pass offense and pass defense after these picks. We can address DL/OL/S/LB in the second day.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #42
That Guy
Living Legend

know who might be a good round 2 or 3 pick? trevor laws DT notre dame. motor guy.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I've been clamoring for us to draft a DB in the first round for months now. But upon further reflection of the entire draft board I think we can afford to take advantage of the rather deep DB class.

With that in mind, I'll say

1st Round: DE Phillip Merling (Clemson)
2nd Round: DB Terrell Thomas (USC)
Old 02-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #44
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I really, really like Calais Campbell, and would trade up in the 2nd round for him if he makes it through the first, but he's not the gamebreaking explosive type that we need in the first round.

Therefore, we can either go for Kentwan Balmer (DT) route, or the Branden Albert (OG) route.

Balmer, to me as a prospect, has one big questionmark, and that's as a three year starter at DT for UNC, he sacked the QB 6 times. The ACC is not a particularly strong football conference, especially in the last two years, and thus, I'm not sure he's teh solution to our problems. I'd rather wait a round and snag Trevor Laws, who was a 4 year starter and got 10 sacks.

I'd like to see Branden Albert be our first pick as of right now. However, our very best move as a team picking at 21 may be to wait to see how the draft breaks out, and then trade up 3-4 picks and snag the can't-miss-prospect who inevitably will fall out of the top ten.

So that means:

1st round-Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
2nd round-Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #45
That Guy
Living Legend

biggest needs: DE, WR, S, OL, DT

multiple names listed, in order of priority (in case other get picked before #21)

round 1
-derrick harvey DE florida
-kenny phillips FS miami
-desean jackson WR california
-rodgers-cromartie CB tennesse
-calais campbell DE miami

round 2
-tracy porter CB indianna
-devin thomas WR michigan st
-mike pollack C arizona st OR other OL (cherilus, baker, etc)