2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
FRPLG
MVP

Re: 2009 Redskins Roster - Cap Burdens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Who says he has no heart? Because he didn't play as much this year as we all (himself included) would have like he suddenly has no heart?
We all know Springs is a money grubbing SOB just like Vinny is a purposely bad "GM" wannabe and Danny only cares about money.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #32
Boston Brave
Camp Scrub

I think we only get minor tweaks (2 starting free agents) in 2009. If we get the non-cap year, then the books are cleaned up. I believe the non-cap year is 2010 as of right now provided no owner-union agreement.
Boston Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #33
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Schneed10 what happens if the NFL goes to a non-capped league? From what I remember doesn't all of the bonus money come due immediately, which would cause the Redskins to cut a lot of their star players?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Schneed10 what happens if the NFL goes to a non-capped league? From what I remember doesn't all of the bonus money come due immediately, which would cause the Redskins to cut a lot of their star players?
No it does not.

You're thinking of the prorated portions of the signing bonus money that has yet to hit the books. That money would not accelerate and hit our 2009 cap unless we cut or traded the player. Otherwise, we can continue to allocate bonus money to years beyond 2009 as long as the player remains on our roster.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #35
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Brave View Post
I think we only get minor tweaks (2 starting free agents) in 2009. If we get the non-cap year, then the books are cleaned up. I believe the non-cap year is 2010 as of right now provided no owner-union agreement.
Man I hope they get their act together and agree on a CBA.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #36
SkinsAllDay34
Camp Scrub

Hey everybody new here but ive been a member over at extremeskins.

But I have always liked the idea of cutting:
Taylor, Springs, Washington, Griffin, Daniels. Which is 20+ million plus we are a little under the cap already + restructuring by Vinny to save more money. We can easily make a splash in FA.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #37
47FAN
Impact Rookie

when can we start redoing contracts and start talking to other players?
47FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsAllDay34 View Post

Taylor, Springs, Washington, Griffin, Daniels. Which is 20+ million plus we are a little under the cap already + restructuring by Vinny to save more money. We can easily make a splash in FA.
We're a little over the cap right now, actually. But otherwise you're right, if we cut all those guys then we can go after multiple free agents. But if we don't cut them, we can't.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #39
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47FAN View Post
when can we start redoing contracts and start talking to other players?
We can start redoing contracts now. We can start talking to other players on March 1.

Though I imagine front offices around the league are holding off on contract renegotiations until they get more info on CBA talks (if there will be any).
Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #40
47FAN
Impact Rookie

thanks is their a time frame on the cba talks?
47FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #41
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Still not comfortable w/ letting Washington get away completely. Obviously w/ his injury propensity he shouldn't make a lot of green, but we are a better defense when he plays. If we let him walk we essentially have to 1) draft a stud OLB w/ our top pick cause he'll be starting (which is a shitty scenario IMO since we've got to replace one of the lousiest o-line's in football) or 2) go out and buy someone in FA. The someone we buy is going to cost us something and may or may not be a significant improvement over a healthy Marcus. My best case scenario here is cutting Marcus and bringing him back on the cheap - i think he'll do it because he won't make much elsewhere.

Still on the fence about Taylor... guess i'd like a similar situation to marcus where we cut him (costs us nothing) and bring him back for 2 million. He can shore up right end while Evans and Carter swap @ left end... which leads me to the guys I think should be gone, Daniels and Springs. I know Daniels has a heart of gold but he is too old and oft injured. Springs is just too damn expensive and i'm convinced not a team guy. Griffin stays. He was a warrior for us this year. IMO it was his best season since '05 regardless of stats - he should be rewarded w/ loyalty and let's face it there's not a whole lot we can do to upgrade @ DT. Our guys are monster run-stuffers and Griff is the leader.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #42
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:

Out of the guys you mention all of them are potential cuts. I'll miss the last four especially Washington. I can't see paying them anything because they're pretty much at their end. They can't stay healthy and it's a shame but that's life. I'm not too eager though to get expensive mercenaries. These guys were a good FA group, except Taylor. I'm eager to see what the team will do as far as FA goes. I hope they don't pick up Pac-Man or any thirty plus players.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #43
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Out of the guys you mention all of them are potential cuts. I'll miss the last four especially Washington. I can't see paying them anything because they're pretty much at their end. They can't stay healthy and it's a shame but that's life. I'm not too eager though to get expensive mercenaries. These guys were a good FA group, except Taylor. I'm eager to see what the team will do as far as FA goes. I hope they don't pick up Pac-Man or any thirty plus players.
That's the pivotal point. If we really cut all these guys there will be so many positions to fill on defense we'd need the entire draft + a lot of FA money to keep in the top 10. Just not realistic IMHO. Not realistic at all.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #44
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Still not comfortable w/ letting Washington get away completely. Obviously w/ his injury propensity he shouldn't make a lot of green, but we are a better defense when he plays. If we let him walk we essentially have to 1) draft a stud OLB w/ our top pick cause he'll be starting (which is a shitty scenario IMO since we've got to replace one of the lousiest o-line's in football) or 2) go out and buy someone in FA. The someone we buy is going to cost us something and may or may not be a significant improvement over a healthy Marcus. My best case scenario here is cutting Marcus and bringing him back on the cheap - i think he'll do it because he won't make much elsewhere.

Still on the fence about Taylor... guess i'd like a similar situation to marcus where we cut him (costs us nothing) and bring him back for 2 million. He can shore up right end while Evans and Carter swap @ left end... which leads me to the guys I think should be gone, Daniels and Springs. I know Daniels has a heart of gold but he is too old and oft injured. Springs is just too damn expensive and i'm convinced not a team guy. Griffin stays. He was a warrior for us this year. IMO it was his best season since '05 regardless of stats - he should be rewarded w/ loyalty and let's face it there's not a whole lot we can do to upgrade @ DT. Our guys are monster run-stuffers and Griff is the leader.
I like the situation you layed out for Washington. He's a beast and we are a better team with him in there. When you put it that way, yes, I'd take him on the cheap over any FA guy. The team does need to address age and regardless of ability, Marcus can't stay on the field long enough. If you put these players in the situation you've outlined I'd be much happier. Can Vinny pull it off? Would he be inclined to do so? Sooner or later their time will be up though and we need to get their replacements lined up and start giving them reps. What sayeth you Schneed?
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #45
SkinsAllDay34
Camp Scrub

If washington goes, there are FAs out there like Dansby and Crowell or Channing Crowder from Miami who is only 25. Washington is easily replaceable.