Commanders 2023 Free Agency Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #16
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Commanders 2023 Free Agency Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
If they are truly strapped for cash, the smartest thing would be to try to trade Payne to the highest bidder. If they can't be big players in free agency, they need to stock up on picks and free up that $19 mil. Assuming they want to compete this year.
I like this, particularly because I think Mathis can fill the void he leaves. Think they would have to sign him to a contract to trade him for a good return though and that might be a problem.

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #17
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This is exactly why when judging RR's body of work here, I always take that into consideration.
I don't think it can be understated...having to WORK with Dan AND Tanya, Cancer, the name change, and probably worst of all...all the media attention from Dan's filth showing up in the news on a weekly basis the last 3 years...and somehow he's kept the team competitive with Taylor as his QB.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:45 PM   #18
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Very true.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #19
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
I don't think it can be understated...having to WORK with Dan AND Tanya, Cancer, the name change, and probably worst of all...all the media attention from Dan's filth showing up in the news on a weekly basis the last 3 years...and somehow he's kept the team competitive with Taylor as his QB.
Agree

Its like they told RR to make a PBJ sandwich then hand him one piece of stale bread and a ketchup packet; all things considered he has doing an amazing job.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #20
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Until this offseason there has been no issue with money. Ron decimated our oline, wanted Wentz, and has been abysmal with time management and our team has been unprepared countless times to start games, and second halfs with lack of necessary adjustments. He had more than a few losing seasons in Carolina before he got shit canned there. Yes Snyder is the absolute worst owner in sport’s history, but Ron is a bad HC.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:27 AM   #21
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
If they are truly strapped for cash, the smartest thing would be to try to trade Payne to the highest bidder. If they can't be big players in free agency, they need to stock up on picks and free up that $19 mil. Assuming they want to compete this year.
The point is the cash flow. That $19 million gets paid in installments over the 17 game season. If there is a cash flow problem it is easier to handle the franchise tag than it would be to spend all 19 now.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #22
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Until this offseason there has been no issue with money. Ron decimated our oline, wanted Wentz, and has been abysmal with time management and our team has been unprepared countless times to start games, and second halfs with lack of necessary adjustments. He had more than a few losing seasons in Carolina before he got shit canned there. Yes Snyder is the absolute worst owner in sport’s history, but Ron is a bad HC.
The bold part is a little bit excessive, IMO. Rivera hasn't sunk low to Zorn's level. At worst, Rivera is a mediocre coach.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #23
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This is exactly why when judging RR's body of work here, I always take that into consideration.
The fact that RR has managed to field a somewhat functional team under Snyder is unimaginable. This is why I don't get fans that for some reason loathe RR.

Go listen to any podcast where Don Van Atta is talking about his most recent story and talks about all the financial dysfunction within the team. The fact that we've been mediocre is a miracle.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #24
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
- Ron made some bad decisions on the o-line. But Ereck Flowers is still a free agent and Schreff wanted out of the team.

- Snyder wanted Wentz.

- Scott Turner's play calling and lack of adjustment were a big issue. Ron's fault is basically hiring Turner.

I think you're reaching here. He hasn't been the best coach, but he hasn't been the worst, especially under the terrible Snyder circumstances. The ownership of this team is a clusterf*ck and it is ridiculous to brush that aside and pin everything on Ron.

I'm sure that there are plenty of things that are within his control, that Ron could have done better. But you could have brought Beichick and Brady in their primes here to DC and Snyder would still be a handicap to them.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-02-2023, 10:32 AM   #25
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Also, great thread from JP about the recent scorecards from the NFLPA survey about team's facilities and treatment of players:

https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/sta...16554665070610

A lot of fans always get bent out of shape because they didn't get X player or why they could only get Y player.

Much of what is in this report card is probably widely known among NFL players. And as JP says, a lot of these issues are related to money decisions, and there's only one person that makes those decisions: Danny Boy.

Also, think about the work it takes to motivate players to play under these shitty conditions.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #26
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
- Ron made some bad decisions on the o-line. But Ereck Flowers is still a free agent and Schreff wanted out of the team.

- Snyder wanted Wentz.

- Scott Turner's play calling and lack of adjustment were a big issue. Ron's fault is basically hiring Turner.

I think you're reaching here. He hasn't been the best coach, but he hasn't been the worst, especially under the terrible Snyder circumstances. The ownership of this team is a clusterf*ck and it is ridiculous to brush that aside and pin everything on Ron.

I'm sure that there are plenty of things that are within his control, that Ron could have done better. But you could have brought Beichick and Brady in their primes here to DC and Snyder would still be a handicap to them.

I didn’t call him the worst. I called him bad. I stand by that.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #27
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I didn’t call him the worst. I called him bad. I stand by that.
Eh, it's your opinion. I'd like to see a year of him without Snyder and I'll make my decision.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #28
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
The bold part is a little bit excessive, IMO. Rivera hasn't sunk low to Zorn's level. At worst, Rivera is a mediocre coach.

Again didn’t call him the worst, or Zorn… lol. Called him a bad HC. You are either bad or good. Mediocre is a nice way of saying bad.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #29
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Eh, it's your opinion. I'd like to see a year of him without Snyder and I'll make my decision.

6 out of 9 years in Carolina, obviously without Snyder he had losing records. Had two good years and one great year - when Cam went full Superman.

Let Ron hang around for a couple more years, maybe three, get the Snyder stink and possible lack of free agency maneuverability out of the way and than make your call. I’ve seen enough personally. I just don’t think he brings anything to the table. He is just there. Needs a great team and staff around him to rise to the occasion but cannot make the most of a little if you know what I mean. See Brian Daboll for a recent example of getting the most out of a team.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #30
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
6 out of 9 years in Carolina, obviously without Snyder he had losing records. Had two good years and one great year - when Cam went full Superman.

Let Ron hang around for a couple more years, maybe three, get the Snyder stink and possible lack of free agency maneuverability out of the way and than make your call. I’ve seen enough personally. I just don’t think he brings anything to the table. He is just there. Needs a great team and staff around him to rise to the occasion but cannot make the most of a little if you know what I mean. See Brian Daboll for a recent example of getting the most out of a team.
My problem with your dead set opinion is that you are basically saying anything that Dan Snyder has and is doing doesn't affect the football operations.

You can spin it any way you want it, but that's what you are basically saying.

I'm pretty sure Brian Daboll, Doug Pedersen, or Dan Campbell haven't had to deal with the shit that Ron has to deal every single day from Snyder.

Again, plenty of criticism can be made of Ron, but I just think it is a bit ridiculous to ignore the massive up hill battle he has with this f*cking owner.

Hell, except for Spurrier and Zorn, I think any other coach should be given somewhat of a pass because of the shit they dealt with with Snyder.
R.I.P. #21