Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

observation on user reputations

Playbook

Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

observation on user reputations

I'm noticing more and more that people seem to be giving each other negative rep points over a simple difference of opinion.

I think that really goes against the purpose of the reputation system.

I'm not going to make any hard rules as to how people should give out rep points, but to me rep points should only be given out to reward a person for an outstanding contribution or to take away points for a really horrible post that lacks substance. To give out negative points over a difference of opinion is pretty childish if you ask me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should we consider doing away with the rep system?

Advertisements
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: observation on user reputations

If it's a difference of opinion, and that's the sole reason, then yeah it's lame to give neg rep for that.

But if it's a difference of opinion, plus the person you're debating with is glancing over posts, not reading the whole thread, ignoring strong arguments against him/her, then I can see giving neg rep. It's no fun to debate with someone who doesn't listen or who picks and chooses points to debate.

I tend to hit people with neg rep for starting a retarded thread. When it comes to neg rep, you shouldn't evaluate whether the person agrees with you, you should evaluate whether they're acting as a solid contributor.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

If you are looking for equality and fair play in a system that caters to the petty emotions of humans, you may have to remove the humans.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
If you are looking for equality and fair play in a system that caters to the petty emotions of humans, you may have to remove the humans.

Great post! So true.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We probably should just do away with it because we keep having to ask if we should get do away with it. I think Schneed hit the nail on the head pretty well with his post. A lot of people respond to negative rep points by just giving negative rep points back. They don't actually stop and think maybe there was a legit reason they were given negative rep points.

What I especially don't get is when people talk about rep points in a thread "Hey why'd you give me negative rep points?" It's like PM's. They should, in my opinion, be private.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

My point exactly!
The reason that I have not risen to greatness in the "rep point" process is not because my posts suck. It is because I am misunderstood, and frequently the target for misplaced anger and emotion, from the sheer power of my rebuttal!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Unfortunately that's the truth.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I've never given negative reputation points to someone based on their opinion. I've given about 5 or so negative reputation points (if that) for the same reasons that Schneed has.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that people care so much about the reputation points. It's not like you get a car if you get 10 rep points. The system has its purposes, but I'm starting to think they're becoming more trouble than they're worth.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

I'm not a big fan. It's not a popularity contest. If somebody has a problem with something you posted, they should respond in the thread -- not in a rep. Neg rep should be given for poor grammer, poor spelling, redundant/unnecessary threads, and/or thoughtless posts.

Take this post of mine for example (from the National Anthem thread):

Quote:
I don't have any problem with it. It's a beautiful song. I suppose she didn't keep her word, if she agreed to sing the National Anthem, but whatever. I give her props for her courage.

After reading the lyrics, it is apparent that all races can relate to them -- not only African Americans.

America is defined by so much more than the War of 1812 (for which the Star Spangled Banner was written). I think this song is more reflective of America's struggle and character than the Star Spangled Banner.
I was sure that post would ruffle some feathers, but nobody ever responded to it. I did however receive this negative comment:

"So it's ok to not keep your word? Terrible post, and terrible points."

I actually thought my post offered a different point of view, and I had some good points, but whatever. So, instead of sparking some interesting discussion, I just got negative rep. No big deal as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a little disappointed that no discussion ever became of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Lady Brave
The Starter

I could care less about the rep system. What I'd really like to know is what happened to the edit button? Without it, my reputation for consistently being grammatically correct and a great speller may now be at risk.

Edit: Ok, that was freaky. Someone was reading my mind before I posted that.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

On rep, I think the system works in a lot of ways, but one major detractor is that it encourages positive opinions. When talking about the Redskins, you're going to tend to get more positive rep if you make a great, well-thought-out point that has an optimistic view of the team than you will if you make an equally great, well-thought point with a pessimistic view of the team. That's just our human nature as fans.

I'd rather see intelligent points on both sides.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
I could care less about the rep system. What I'd really like to know is what happened to the edit button? Without it, my reputation for consistently being grammatically correct and a great speller may now be at risk.

Edit: Ok, that was freaky. Someone was reading my mind before I posted that.
Yes, thank you mods for putting the Edit button back. Without it, I'd never be able to update my salary cap status thread. I'd have to copy it and keep reposting it. I need that edit button.

I like to go back and edit my posts when I think of an additional point I should have mentioned that blends in with my other points. I also like to correct grammar and spelling (helps make for a cleaner board). I do refrain from changing the core content of my post. Because that's lame. I'm sure that's what you were trying to prevent by taking away the edit button. But we need the edit button for other reasons.

Let's just make a pact to ridicule anyone who posts a viewpoint and then goes back to edit it and completely change the viewpoint. I enjoy a good ridiculin.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
mredskins
MVP

I was under the impression that you only had a set time to edit a post. After that you were SOL.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I was under the impression that you only had a set time to edit a post. After that you were SOL.
That's what it is, the button is gone from my older posts.

Mods, pretty please put the Edit button back?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's what it is, the button is gone from my older posts.

Mods, pretty please put the Edit button back?
We all want to rewrite history now and then. My sig comes from a book about that very subject.

I think the other problem with the rep system, at least for the time being, is that it's the offseason and there only a few important topics to discuss. That's not to say that posts this time of the year can't be well thoughtout and presented, but I just think the system will have more weight during the season.