Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy


The foreign affairs thread

Debating with the enemy


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 33,500
Re: The foreign affairs thread

I donít know about knee jerk military movements right now by us, maybe months ago, but not now. I think the problem continues to be Europe, mainly Germany and their commitment. Biggest economy, biggest buyer of energy from Russia. Thatís who we need to continue to pressure to see this crisis through.
__________________
My pronouns: King/Your ruler

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 44
Posts: 12,401
Re: The foreign affairs thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I donít know about knee jerk military movements right now by us, maybe months ago, but not now. I think the problem continues to be Europe, mainly Germany and their commitment. Biggest economy, biggest buyer of energy from Russia. Thatís who we need to continue to pressure to see this crisis through.
Leave it to Germany to send a carrier group into the Aegean, first and foremost, it won't get done because Germany doesn't have any aircraft carriers, lol. Sending ground forces doesn't threaten anything without air superiority.

Further, choosing now to bicker between NATO allies rather than projecting a united front towards Putin would only embolden him, not the other way around. A strategic genius you are not, good God.

There needs to be a genuine and credible threat to Putin that we NATO will defend whoever the fuck we want whenever the fuck we want. Otherwise he's going to roll in there and annex the portion east of the western edge of the Black Sea to enhance his access to warm water ports.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 33,500
Re: The foreign affairs thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Leave it to Germany to send a carrier group into the Aegean, first and foremost, it won't get done because Germany doesn't have any aircraft carriers, lol. Sending ground forces doesn't threaten anything without air superiority.

Further, choosing now to bicker between NATO allies rather than projecting a united front towards Putin would only embolden him, not the other way around. A strategic genius you are not, good God.

There needs to be a genuine and credible threat to Putin that we NATO will defend whoever the fuck we want whenever the fuck we want. Otherwise he's going to roll in there and annex the portion east of the western edge of the Black Sea to enhance his access to warm water ports.
Yeah didnt suggest Germany send in a carrier group or any of that, but continue to work with Germany to take a stronger position and commitment. I think right now talks are with France and maybe England with Russia currently.

I happened to pull up a map with Russian troop positions in Belarus; that poses quite the problem for Ukraine. Not only is the border with Russia a front, but most of the north. Belarus says Russian troops gonna leave in a couple months after their ďtrainingĒ. I dont know what could be done, but expelling those troops from BelarusÖif any nato allies would have influence, that seems top of mind. Probably wishful thinking
__________________
My pronouns: King/Your ruler

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #19
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 5,228
Re: The foreign affairs thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I donít know about knee jerk military movements right now by us, maybe months ago, but not now. I think the problem continues to be Europe, mainly Germany and their commitment. Biggest economy, biggest buyer of energy from Russia. Thatís who we need to continue to pressure to see this crisis through.
I'm not sure it is all that of a knee jerk movement.

Russia doesn't want a military war with us. They are most effective when dealing with cyberattacks and espionage. If this escalated to a conflict I think Putin would lose more than he would want. I am also just speculating here but as China and Russia have become more comfortable allies I don't see him upstaging the Beijing Olympics. Have Xi mad at him is not the route he wants either.

Note: I don't want American troops to be there. I hate sending young Americans to die for ideology of old men but that is the nature of conflict. Old men too stubborn to compromise.
BaltimoreSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 33,500
Re: The foreign affairs thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I'm not sure it is all that of a knee jerk movement.

Russia doesn't want a military war with us. They are most effective when dealing with cyberattacks and espionage. If this escalated to a conflict I think Putin would lose more than he would want. I am also just speculating here but as China and Russia have become more comfortable allies I don't see him upstaging the Beijing Olympics. Have Xi mad at him is not the route he wants either.

Note: I don't want American troops to be there. I hate sending young Americans to die for ideology of old men but that is the nature of conflict. Old men too stubborn to compromise.
I dunno, seems like maybe that shoulda been done months ago. This ramp up of the massing troops been going on a year.

I donít think anybody wants US troops engaged in combat.

Biden should have kept sanctions on the norad pipeline, coulda been great leverage
__________________
My pronouns: King/Your ruler

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 44
Posts: 12,401
Re: The foreign affairs thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I dunno, seems like maybe that shoulda been done months ago. This ramp up of the massing troops been going on a year.

I donít think anybody wants US troops engaged in combat.

Biden should have kept sanctions on the norad pipeline, coulda been great leverage
You mean the Nord Stream 2 pipeline from Russia into Germany? That can still be shut down if NATO wants to.

And if it happened it would be a boon for our economy - Biden has said we'll ship natural gas into Germany.

Still Germany would feel the economic pinch if that pipeline were shut down.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Commanders or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.24212 seconds with 10 queries