Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

When Camp Started I Thought...But Now...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: When Camp Started I Thought...But Now...

It's his vision that's most impressive to me. He's like a combination of both Portis and Betts.

Advertisements
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

He has no chance to make the team unless he plays teams well. I think it is as simple as that. They'd rather have a less functional RB who they can trust to pick up blitzes and be a Teams stalwart than a good RB who can't do either. The guy is only going to get 4-5 snaps a game tops. If anything.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Mason is basically a young Betts. Betts can't block worth a damn either. But neither is what I would call a change of pace back.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I thought I wouldn't be impressed by Marcus Mason, again. But now, I see a burst and quickness that I don't see in Betts or Rock. I still don't know that he makes the team but he's making it interesting.

I thought I'd see enough from Dorsey or Aldridge to not be subjected to another year of Randle El returning punts. But now, I see that we're destined to more of step right, step left, fall down after 4 yards.

I thought Devin Thomas would light up the preseason, but now Malcolm Kelly has passed him and Mitchell has impressed more under the lights.

I thought Jim Zorn would be coaching as if his career depended on it, but now it seems like he's oblivious to what's looming out there.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
He has no chance to make the team unless he plays teams well. I think it is as simple as that. They'd rather have a less functional RB who they can trust to pick up blitzes and be a Teams stalwart than a good RB who can't do either. The guy is only going to get 4-5 snaps a game tops. If anything.
Really this is as pointless as debating the #3 QB situation. It's not like Mason is competing for the #2 job. Whether we like it or not the coaches have Betts firmly entrenched as the primary backup, so what we're talking about here is a special teams guy that would rarely get the chance to carry the ball. Rock is clearly superior to Mason on teams, so that will likely be the deciding factor.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
firstdown
Living Legend

When camp started I thought.... Hurray preseason if finally here.
But Now.... I can't wait for preseason to be over and the regular season to start.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
He isn't a change pace back and we have at least two guys who'd get snaps in front him based on running skills alone. If he can't play teams and could get our QB killed then I am sorry but Mason will be looking for his 4th team.
He's shiftier than both Portis and Betts. He doesn't run as hard as either of them, but he's seems more elusive than at least Betts at this point in his career. And Betts isn't exactly a beast in pass protection either.

My main point isn't as much about Mason, but the fact that a committee of three older backs is a role of the dice. They need to start grooming a younger back, whether it be Mason, Alridge, or Dorsey. Otherwise you end up with a used up Shawn Alexander on the roster when one of them goes down.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #23
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
He's shiftier than both Portis and Betts. He doesn't run as hard as either of them, but he's seems more elusive than at least Betts at this point in his career. And Betts isn't exactly a beast in pass protection either.

My main point isn't as much about Mason, but the fact that a committee of three older backs is a role of the dice. They need to start grooming a younger back, whether it be Mason, Alridge, or Dorsey. Otherwise you end up with a used up Shawn Alexander on the roster when one of them goes down.

Where did i see this happen, oh yeah last season on the Redskins. We need backs that will push for playing time not sit on the bench and be official bench warmers.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I thought when camp started that the O-line was in trouble. Now I think that they paid Hall too much money. The Secondary and O-line are my concerns now.

Now that training camp is almost over, I think I want to see how all of them do in a real game.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
I think Reid has some level headed stuff here, via Danny Smith about Mason.

Redskins Insider - Pass Protection Is Mason's Big Deficiency
Randy Moss sucks at run blocking, who gives a crap? Note: I am not saying that Mason is the same caliber as Randy Moss. A running backs primary job is to carry the rock and get yards. Where Mason has been really impressive to me is around the goal line. We have struggled with running it in short yardage situations on the goal line in recent years, but he seems to have a knack for it. I think that he would be worth keeping for that ability alone. He can be taught to pick up the blitz eventually. Then again we did cut McCants because he was only good at catching TD passes.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Randy Moss sucks at run blocking, who gives a crap? Note: I am not saying that Mason is the same caliber as Randy Moss. A running backs primary job is to carry the rock and get yards. Where Mason has been really impressive to me is around the goal line. We have struggled with running it in short yardage situations on the goal line in recent years, but he seems to have a knack for it. I think that he would be worth keeping for that ability alone. He can be taught to pick up the blitz eventually. Then again we did cut McCants because he was only good at catching TD passes.
And to protect the QB when needed.

Comparing a WR's job to a RB doesn't really make much sense. Moss doesn't have to pick up blitzing LB's for Brady.

Last edited by MTK; 08-31-2009 at 11:16 AM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #27
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

Comparing a WR's job to a RB doesn't reall make much sense. Moss doesn't have to pick up blitzing LB's for Brady.
yep, on some plays the rb has a TE role since they have to block LBs that usually outweigh them by 20 - 50 lbs. Big part of the passing game.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #28
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

Comparing a WR's job to a RB doesn't really make much sense. Moss doesn't have to pick up blitzing LB's for Brady.
No but WR's are also supposed to run block on the perimeter for RB's, are they not. Some are good at it and some aren't, that is the comparrison that I was trying to make. I think that he could make a living in the goal line package and learn pass protection as he goes. That's just my opinion though. I just think that a TD VS. a field once or twice a game would be beneficial. Other teams use a short yardage back why shouldn't we?

Edit: This is not a knock on Portis or Betts though, personally I think that Portis would be good, but he constantly gets pulled out in goal line and replaced by Betts. Betts is not suited for the goal line or has not been as successfull as I would like. Sellars does not run like a big man down there. I think that Mason could fit.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I think the requirements are more complex than you've stated. Danny Smith said it best. He's been on three teams and never played a down in a regular season game. Maybe there's a reason. Maybe he can't really play.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
I think the requirements are more complex than you've stated. Danny Smith said it best. He's been on three teams and never played a down in a regular season game. Maybe there's a reason. Maybe he can't really play.
Danny is upset because he doesn't play special teams. That's how ST coaches are.