Advertisements
Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #197
12thMan
MVP

Re: Redskins final cutdown thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
"And he's super smart. I think it's just one a those deals where..."
...you have a guy who came in here and worked his tail off. I can tell you one thing, this guy's a Redskin."
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #198
Bleedburgundyandgold
Camp Scrub

Mason is the man! our only fire plug with heart! and he can catch??
Bleedburgundyandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #199
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Just got back from the long holiday and been reading about the cuts and everything...Knee jerk reactions are:

1. Mason deserves a chance and this is good news

2. Who the f8ck is backing up are starters at LB? Fincher, Thomas, Glenn all gone...wow

3. In the preseason games, it was a steady rotation of plays where Clark would get beat, then the next play M. Williams would get beat, then E. Williams would get beat the following and then the rotation would start over again. Clark is gone thank god, but Im realllllllllly lost now...M. Williams SUCKED this preseason...he cannot be defended...he sucked. E. Williams didnt really impress...this feeling of our depth at O-Line is better than last season is completely gone

4. This whole deal of the 3rd quarterback battle has been completely overblown and waaaaaaaay too much too has been spent discussing it. The only reason is people were foolish enough to think Colt was a better QB than JC and wanted a change or JC too fail. Colt is what Colt is, a 3rd string Quarterback.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #200
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

wow, i completly agree with smootsmack, he and I have the exact same questions regarding the secondary, LB's, OL, and RB's. But smootsmack, tell me why we didn't sign either dorsey and/or aldrige to the PS? Are we even interested in Levi Jones? Rob Jackson IMO is better than Wynn. Do you think we bring in a veteran corner like mike mckenzie or patrick surtain and cut loose at least one or two of the crappy backup corners we got now (tryon, westbrook)?
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #201
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
...you have a guy who came in here and worked his tail off. I can tell you one thing, this guy's a Redskin."
Ok...but could he become a core Redskin?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #202
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
...you have a guy who came in here and worked his tail off. I can tell you one thing, this guy's a redskin."

lol!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #203
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Where's the Anthony Mix avatar?

In other news, according to PFT (take it with a grain of salt), Filthy signed Dixon.
Oh well we sign Andre Woodson. Its the NFC Beast so lets get nasty.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #204
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Not sure what the hype is about Dixon all of a sudden. Good story but still, an undrafted FA who didn't even start in college. Probably a career backup/journeyman at best. Just a numbers game at DT. You can't keep everyone.
Thats so true. We are deep at DT with Haynesworth, Griff, Monty,and Golston. Daniels, Lorenzo and Wynn could also slide inside as well.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #205
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Been away for the weekend, so didn't really have a chance to chime in on all the threads but I'll just give my thoughts here

Quarterback

Just a few months ago, the team seemed to be really trying to push JC out the door. Now, whether intentionally or not, they've fully committed to him this year by basically leaving Todd Collins as the only backup. The Skins really kept whatever injury issues Colt had a good secret this summer. I joked the other day about the Redskins putting Colt on IR, but didn't expect it to happen. I forget what the policy is on practicing with the team while on IR, but while some think this is for Colt and the Skins, I think Zorn (correctly) has given up on him. We'll see though if after this year, the Redskins have given up on Zorn. Interesting that Chase went to the Saints since so many compare him to Brees (and I equate him to Brunell). Obviously, I would have liked to have seen Chase make the roster, but there were other more pressing needs. And releasing him was the right risk to take. As for Andre Woodson, he has huge potential (but you know what they say about potential), but I don't think he's any sort of threat really to #17 (or no #15). And I've never thought of Woodson as a WCO QB. This is Campbell's year to prove he's our franchise QB for the next decade

Offensive Line

Thrilled to see Edwin Williams make the final roster. Not so thrilled to see them cut Bridges. I admire their decision to go with youth. But don't go young just to go young. And it's not like Bridges is ancient. He's a versatile veteran that could have really helped. I think we made a mistake in keeping Williams and letting Bridges go. I know Buges has said he really likes Batiste and he sees him every day in practice so I guess I'll take his word for it. Montgomery is lining himself up to anchor the middle of our line when we let Rabach go next spring. Overall, I am both somewhat concerned and cautiously optimistic about our OL. I'm glad our backups are young guys that we can develop (for the most part), but concerned about their lack of experience. But everyone starts inexperienced anyway. Pretty surprised not a single OL was signed to the practice squad.

Running Backs

Happy for Marcus Mason. He's our #2 back of the future. Betts better watch his back. And as Matt Moseley pointed out the other day, it gives the Redskins a nice change of pace from Portis...when Portis is in, Campbell doesn't have to run scared because he's got a pass blocking back in the game ...I thought (cap issues aside) the Redskins wouldn't keep Betts, Mason, and Betts. I thought, and was hoping, one of those wouldn't make it and they would find room for Dorsey or Alridge (true change of pace backs). I'm glad we've seemingly identified our future #2 back but wish I could say that I see Mason as a future #1 back. Don't see it though.

Defensive Line

Dixon played his guts out, but I can't believe how many people are getting worked up over letting him go. We have the best four-five man rotation we've had in years at DT and we're getting upset about Dixon? Not surprised. Wynn making the final roster was a bit of a head scratchier, but I know that the Redskins don't feel Jarmon is quite ready to be the full time back up to Daniels (especially against the run). Wouldn't be surprised if Wynn is on the active roster the first several games of the season and then slips into oblivion as Jarmon gets more comfortable.

Defensive Backs

Byron Westbrook? Why???

Linebackers

I was most concerned about this unit going into training camp...and now I'm even more concerned than I was six weeks ago. I think they're taking way too many gambles here. The two strongside backers are converted DEs with no NFL experience at LB (even though I think Orakpo will be phenomenal), the backup (to the backup) MLB is another rookie, the starting WLB has knee issues and no backup. And I sort of understand not keeping Fincher because you felt he had reached his ceiling. But I don't get why you keep a guy like Williams (a 2002 1st round bust) to add depth to your O-Line, but you can't do the same with Robert Thomas (another 2002 1st round bust), especially when Thomas can contribute on special teams (something Williams won't do), and if not Thomas then why not Glenn? I think they could have and should have found some place on the roster for him. I suspect Glenn and Westbrook were among the final cuts and Westbrook won out for a variety of reasons, none of which are encouraging. What bugs me most about Glenn getting cut, and it's not that I think he's some sort of savior is that that's a pick we could have used on someone like Ringer or Jennings. Guys who I think could have been our #1 backs of the future.

Overall, I'm very pleased with our starters across the board, have mild concerns about our OL depth, and am really worried about our linebacker depth.
Well stated Bro. Scratching head about CB Westbrook and no OL on Practice Squad. Bring in Pete Kendal for insurance.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #206
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Another cut picked up:

TE Agnone was picked up by NE
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #207
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Well that just go to show you that this team is deep. Thats 4 player from our 22 cuts
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote