Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays The Smack Down (Redskins vs. Colts)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays The Smack Down (Redskins vs. Colts)

After a brief hiatus, the smackdown is back.

For those of you are new here, this is a weekly (ideally) feature that takes a look at what didn't quite work in the previous game.

The idea is not to be negative, bash the team, or say the sky is falling. Just to point out what needs improvement. I'll kick it off and other can jump in.

1.) The Beckwagon-Slow your roll, Beckwagoneers. He did nothing wrong really, and he was very efficient in one half. But he played in a pretty simple offense last night against a simple defense. He didn't cleary distance himself from Rex Grossman last week. The question, of course, is does he need to?

2). Trent Williams-I have very high hopes for Trent, and I believe he will go down as one our best OTs ever. That said, he can't keep getting beat by elite pass rushers. I mean, I understand there's a reason they're elite and he's just starting his second year. But the excuse last year was he's getting a quick lesson in the realities of the NFL facing so many strong pass rushers right off the bat in his career. The hope was/is that getting tossed right into the deep end of the pool so quickly would accelerate his process. The reality is he our LT and he's going to be facing elite pass rushers more often than not. I expect he will be able to handle them more often than not.

3. Leonard "No Hands"kerson-Yeah, that didn't exactly work. But anyhow, I know it was just one drop. And even the best WRs have drops. But what frustrates me most from what I've seen of Hankerson is that he practices so hard and it shows in games. He's a solid blocker, runs crisp routes, gets consistently open (granted against vanilla defenses), so it would be very frustrating to see him do all that just to drop a pass thrown to him. Maybe Malcolm Kelly could lend Hank his hands since it doesn't look like he'll be using them.

4. Perry Riley on Special Teams-Really it's not a big deal, but when he had that block in the back on my man Terrence Austin's 20 (or so) yard return my first thought was to flash back to his infamous block in the back on Banks' TD return last year. Granted, unlike Banks' return I don't think Austin gets as far as he does without Riley's block.

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Re: Smoot Lays The Smack Down (Redskins vs. Colts)

I said it in my another thread but I want Austin over Banks. Banks is a homerun threat but after one great game he is already hurt. Banks can play special team and be a reciever.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I said it in my another thread but I want Austin over Banks. Banks is a homerun threat but after one great game he is already hurt. Banks can play special team and be a reciever.
He isn't "already" hurt. He was hurt going into the game.

I don't see how Banks isn't a part of this team. Zero....ZERO chance they cut him. Maybe they IR him but they certainly aren't going to cut someone who is legitimately one of the most exciting and best returners in the game.

I think Austin makes it anyways.

As for TW. He's letting guys get into him too much. The times he looked bad last night were when the rusher just blasted off at him and got TW peddling. He needs to plant off the ball and use his size and strength to smack the rusher off kilter enough to keep him from harnessing his strength straight through TW. A little more punch to his initial engagement should fix the issue.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Texanskin
Special Teams

I understand the thread.....but we have been sucking for so long, that when we finally look good as a team, its hard for me to start looking at flaws...lol I am in awe how differenct we look as a team and organization.

1. Beck needs to do it again (another solid game and he is the starter)
2. TW has to study elite DE moves and tendacies again
3. Torrain better be impressive b/c these young backs are looking good
4. Red zone offense needs to improve big time
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Yeah our RZ offense is looking dicey. Play calling or execution? Not sure. A little of both maybe. And too many mental-errors last night. It is the only real glaring concern right now. Sure there are dozens of smaller things that need work but the RZ offense has to improve or it'll be another season of close games where we have a 50/50 shot at winning despite the whole of our effort on the field.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
DGreene28
Special Teams

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;825293]After a brief hiatus, the smackdown is back.

For those of you are new here, this is a weekly (ideally) feature that takes a look at what didn't quite work in the previous game.

The idea is not to be negative, bash the team, or say the sky is falling. Just to point out what needs improvement. I'll kick it off and other can jump in.

1.) The Beckwagon-Slow your roll, Beckwagoneers. He did nothing wrong really, and he was very efficient in one half. But he played in a pretty simple offense last night against a simple defense. He didn't cleary distance himself from Rex Grossman last week. The question, of course, is does he need to?

I disagree, yes it was preseason but he managed the game and spun the ball well on the run into some tight spots. The Beckwagon is being pushed along flat ground right now by those who see an exciting QB leading the redskins on and off the field. If you don't want to get on or help push thats okay, but when it really starts rolling don't be upset if you can't catch up! HTTR!!
DGreene28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanskin View Post
I understand the thread.....but we have been sucking for so long, that when we finally look good as a team, its hard for me to start looking at flaws...lol I am in awe how differenct we look as a team and organization.

1. Beck needs to do it again (another solid game and he is the starter)
2. TW has to study elite DE moves and tendacies again
3. Torrain better be impressive b/c these young backs are looking good
4. Red zone offense needs to improve big time
The second part of your opening statement and your point 4 gave me a good laugh... But I agree 100% with your last statement. They are looking much more put together!

On with the weekly feature Smoot!
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Cue Monty Python here:
Always look at the bright side of life...
Consider:
The Skins beat the Steelers.
The Steelers beat the Eagles.
Everybody says the Eagles are shoo-ins for the NFC Championship Game.

Therefore, get your tickets now for the Skins/Eagles in the NFC Championship Game. It's a mortal lock...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

LIKE what I'm seeing out of these Skins!
Grossman hits Sellers across the middle......Sellers hits the turf rather than get tackled by safety? WTF?
I hope 280 pound Sellers tripped?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I was thinking the exact same thing last night SS about Perry Riley. One play he makes a great special teams tackle. The next he gets called for a hold on a huge run back, Just like Minnesota game last year.

I say Banks doesn't make the team because we get almost as good production from Terrence Austin (a poor mans desean jackson) on returns, and he plays more on the field than Banks. Also he has better ball security and is less injury prone.

Don't get me wrong I love Banks, but in todays NFL you got to have guys that can play more positions than just KR/PR. Austins a good slot receiver, a PR, a KR, and is on kick and punt coverages.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

If you have a KR that does what Banks does (if he can continue to deliver) his job is secure. The kid is electric
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
GMScud
Swearinger

Penalties, turnovers, sacks allowed.... Something we didn't see last week. And Hankerson- I know you led the team in receiving last night, but stop dropping passes dude.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That said, he can't keep getting beat by elite pass rushers. I mean, I understand there's a reason they're elite and he's just starting his second year.
Are you including John Chick in that group?

Unless I'm mistaken he was left floundering by Chick as well as Freeney.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I dont know if Kyle is just going very vanilla in the red zone, but we gotta get better. Where is that redzone reciever? And please stop calling RB screens that give no room to develop.

Becks gotta get the ball downfield a little more to impress me. This competition is far from over.

Silverback, im not worried about.

Safety play was better, but not much. We need LL and OJ back in there.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Most of my thoughts about last night's game are positive but, in the spirit of this thread, there are a few concerns that I have about some players.

1. Beck - Many positive things but I need to see him throw the long ball before I try to catch up to and jump on the Beckwagon.
2. Hankerson - Right now, I just can't think of a WR who came into the NFL and dropped a lot of passes who corrected that problem over time. I may be wrong. If so, somebody school me. Any WR who is just as likely to drop a pass as he is to catch it won't make it in the NFL.
3. I still think that Rocky McIntosh is not a good fit for ILB in a 3-4. In fact, he wasn't very good in a 4-3 either. Does he ever make an eye-catching play?
4. The pass rush was so-so against an unsettled Colts OL.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote