Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gruden fires defensive coordinator Joe Barry

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your choice for the next Redskins defensive coordinator...
Gus Bradley 0 0%
Mike Pettine 0 0%
Greg Manusky 0 0%
Rob Ryan 0 0%
Jason Tarver 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #61
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Gruden fires defensive coordinator Joe Barry

https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/817080158762975232

Galette played under Rob Ryan with the Saints and had 22 sacks. But just, no.

https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/817081409231880192

Also played under GW. But GW wouldn't come back here after being shirked for the HC job when Gibbs retired.

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #62
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUredskin View Post
I would personally like to go back to the 4-3, maybe we can get Wilks from Carolina, and sign KK Short in the process lol
we were in the 4 - 3 more than in the 3 - 4 the last couple of years . . . all defences these days are hybrids of sorts that utilize both
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #63
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Does he want to be a DC? He has been a HC a while ,king of the hill to speak think he will take to playing second fiddle?
if he wants to coach in the NFL again, DC will be the highest position offered to him . . . nobody is going to offer him a HC position anytime soon.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #64
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Seven to watch for Redskins defensive coordinator Gallery Slides
Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #65
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Mike Nolan would never come back here. Not after all that shit went down with Snyder.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #66
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
so what about Rex Ryan as a DC? he is not going to get looked at as a HC anytime soon, but was a great 3-4 DC . . . thoughts? I'd be game myself
Rex Ryan isn't going to be a DC again. He'll either get another HC job or go into TV (like Cowher)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #67
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Really, what has Gus Bradley done? Yeah he comes from Seattle where they had talented players, we don't. He failed badly in Jacksonville. I don't know how their D did but it couldn't have been that damn good. He kind of comes off as a Pete Carroll wanna be.

You guys can lol all you want but I've seen Gregg Williams get the most out of sub par talented defenses. He ain't coming back here, but he's probably the best guy out there for this kind of job.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #68
metalskins
The Starter

I would say no to Nolan. I honestly think McCloughan would be pushing heavily for Gus Bradley. It just makes sense. The Seattle connection. I would be very happy with him at the helm for the defense. I don't want to hire from within and I don't want Rex Ryan.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #69
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Really, what has Gus Bradley done? Yeah he comes from Seattle where they had talented players, we don't. He failed badly in Jacksonville. I don't know how their D did but it couldn't have been that damn good. He kind of comes off as a Pete Carroll wanna be.

You guys can lol all you want but I've seen Gregg Williams get the most out of sub par talented defenses. He ain't coming back here, but he's probably the best guy out there for this kind of job.
I don't think anybody would laugh about the notion of GW, all of us who remember the Shawn Springs/Marcus Washington/Cornelius Griffin/Sean Taylor/Ryan Clark defense have a special spot in our hearts for that guy.

But like you say he ain't coming back here. He had a clause in his contract that gave him near right of first refusal for the HC job, but Snyder went with Zorn.

Gus Bradley though is a classic case of good defensive coach, poor head coach. Some guys are meant to be coordinators. He built the groundwork for those Seattle defenses. He's noted for his ability to get more out of his talent pool. Boy do we need some of that.

He's a likely target because he was with Jon Gruden in Tampa in 2008 and overlapped with McC in Seattle.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #70
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

No surprise. It's pretty obvious that with a better defense, especially when it mattered most, this team would have probably won 11 or more games and would be practicing today.

My vote is for Wilks, although he may get the head coaching job in LA. After Wilks I would go after Wade Phillips. Not too crazy about Gus Bradley after reading what the players are saying about what went on there. Not interested in a promotion from within either, that would be a big mistake in my opinion.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #71
hutch17
Special Teams

If we could somehow make nice with Gregg Williams, that would be a home run in my book. I remember his days here and thinking if the offense can get over 17 we will win. It's not like we had the 85' bears players on that team either. With a double G defense and this offense we will win a lot of games, plus I think Scot McC is going to put a hurting that check book this offseason with defensive players.
hutch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #72
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't think anybody would laugh about the notion of GW, all of us who remember the Shawn Springs/Marcus Washington/Cornelius Griffin/Sean Taylor/Ryan Clark defense have a special spot in our hearts for that guy.

But like you say he ain't coming back here. He had a clause in his contract that gave him near right of first refusal for the HC job, but Snyder went with Zorn.

Gus Bradley though is a classic case of good defensive coach, poor head coach. Some guys are meant to be coordinators. He built the groundwork for those Seattle defenses. He's noted for his ability to get more out of his talent pool. Boy do we need some of that.

He's a likely target because he was with Jon Gruden in Tampa in 2008 and overlapped with McC in Seattle.
This is a good summary as to why I also want Gus Bradley. I read on ESPN that his defense in J-ville this year was solid even though the overall team was bad. I also have a soft spot for Gregg Williams but we all know he ain't coming back. And if it's Manusky I will be pissed. Wade Phillips is still my #1 choice but do we even know if he's available?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #73
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This is a good summary as to why I also want Gus Bradley. I read on ESPN that his defense in J-ville this year was solid even though the overall team was bad. I also have a soft spot for Gregg Williams but we all know he ain't coming back. And if it's Manusky I will be pissed. Wade Phillips is still my #1 choice but do we even know if he's available?
According to the WaPo he tweeted that he's unemployed, and when he interviewed for the job two years ago he wanted it and thought he'd get it, and was surprised when Barry got it.

I'd assume he's a candidate until we hear otherwise. Gruden probably kicks himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.679e67185a75
Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #74
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Ranking those 7 from 1st to last in terms of my preference:

Ecstastic
Phillips
Nolan

Encouraged with a little skepticism
Bradley
Wilks

Epiplectic with a touch of depression
Manusky
Williams
Ryan
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #75
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
According to the WaPo he tweeted that he's unemployed, and when he interviewed for the job two years ago he wanted it and thought he'd get it, and was surprised when Barry got it.

I'd assume he's a candidate until we hear otherwise. Gruden probably kicks himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.679e67185a75
Back up the truck Danny boy! Lol but seriously, I'm just kinda dumbfounded that Wade watched Redskins games 3 years ago, did his homework on the team, interviewed, and still got passed over for Joe Barry in spite of all his success. It's definitely not giving me a lot of confidence Jay will make the right choice this time around.

The other name on that list that is intriguing is Steve Wilks. Sure he doesn't have the coordinator experience that Bradley or Phillips has, but I will give him his credit for developing Josh Norman. Turning a 5th round pick into a bona-fide shutdown corner isn't an easy task. Thanks for sharing that article Schneed, that is a good read.