Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offseason Focus: Defensive Line

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #31
Irrefutable
The Starter

Re: Offseason Focus: Defensive Line

CJenkins on ALanier: "Just watching the natural talent he has…He can be a premier player in this league. Seriously."
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

J.P. Finlay of CSN Mid-Atlantic reports the Redskins have yet to open contract negotiations with impending free agent DE Chris Baker.

The same is true of DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, and Vernon Davis, suggesting the Redskins are waiting until the coaching staff is finalized before making any personnel decisions. Baker has 10.5 sacks the last two seasons and is clearly the best defensive lineman on the roster, but reports suggest Washington is lukewarm on bringing him back. If they do not want him, Baker should have plenty of takers on the open market.

Why!!!???

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
dmek25
MVP

just read they are looking at brandon williams, NT, ravens
Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #34
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
J.P. Finlay of CSN Mid-Atlantic reports the Redskins have yet to open contract negotiations with impending free agent DE Chris Baker.

The same is true of DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, and Vernon Davis, suggesting the Redskins are waiting until the coaching staff is finalized before making any personnel decisions. Baker has 10.5 sacks the last two seasons and is clearly the best defensive lineman on the roster, but reports suggest Washington is lukewarm on bringing him back. If they do not want him, Baker should have plenty of takers on the open market.

Why!!!???
Gawd. There's a chance this offseason could be the most headscratching ever. Gotta hope this is just a matter of time. Like so many others redskins' issues.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #35
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Gawd. There's a chance this offseason could be the most headscratching ever. Gotta hope this is just a matter of time. Like so many others redskins' issues.
Is it an age thing? Some teams don't sign F/A's over a certain age to large contracts.

Brandon Williams 27, Bennie Logan = 27

Baker=29
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #36
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Brandon Williams and Bennie Logan are both better than Baker, especially Williams and to me Baker has always been an average player. Nothing really special about him to me.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #37
SirLK26
The Starter

Baker was our best d lineman so i just assumed he'd be back, but if hes asking for more than 7ish per year I'd let him walk. I dont like how he takes plays off, also that play a couple years ago where he was celebrating with a loose ball right behind him has always stuck with me
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #38
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Brandon Williams and Bennie Logan are both better than Baker, especially Williams and to me Baker has always been an average player. Nothing really special about him to me.
If we settle and give big money to Brandon Williams, but we passed on a much better NT Snacks Harrison last year...Ive lost some respect to the front office. This make absolutely zero fucking sense.

He Gets Us
Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #39
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Agree. Being the best of the worst doesn't mean you pay him him a huge contract.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

I've got no problem with going into free agency treating Baker as if he's any other D Lineman on the market. They want to get the best players they can for the dollar. If that ends up being Baker, fine. If they end up with somebody better, then great.

They just better not end up with somebody worse and still have cap space unused or beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #41
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
If we settle and give big money to Brandon Williams, but we passed on a much better NT Snacks Harrison last year...Ive lost some respect to the front office. This make absolutely zero fucking sense.
I dont think Brendan Williams is settling, I think he and Snacks are on the same level

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I dont think Brendan Williams is settling, I think he and Snacks are on the same level
yeah...Ill take the guy. I was looking online yesterday and he was reviewed as one of the top run stuffing DT/NT in the league the last couple years. That's what we need...I don't know if he is a 3 down player. I just haven't seen him play enough to know.

Snacks is a 3 down DT and more of a disruptor. Rushes the passer, ballin out in general.

He Gets Us
Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #43
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
yeah...Ill take the guy. I was looking online yesterday and he was reviewed as one of the top run stuffing DT/NT in the league the last couple years. That's what we need...I don't know if he is a 3 down player. I just haven't seen him play enough to know.

Snacks is a 3 down DT and more of a disruptor. Rushes the passer, ballin out in general.
I recall that many people here posted about how stupid the NYG were to sign Harrison to a big contract. There was nobody clamoring to sign him, as I recall. Please correct me if my memory is faulty on that point. There was also some residual fear of another Fat Albert situation. The "plan" - amongst us, anyway - was to draft DL early and often. But that didn't happen.

We were not in as favorable a situation with the cap last season and our defense hadn't yet performed like a sieve against the run yet again, so there wasn't the same sense of urgency that exists this season.

This season Harrison counts $10.6M against the Giants cap and he is guaranteed $24M over the length of his contract. Apparently, the Skins didn't want to carry that kind of cap and financial burden to sign him last year.

It doesn't matter if Harrison is better than Williams because we can't choose between the two of them. We can only learn from what the Giants did to improve their DL last season. I think we can find some DL help in FA this season if Scot decides to go after one or two of them.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I recall that many people here posted about how stupid the NYG were to sign Harrison to a big contract. There was nobody clamoring to sign him, as I recall. Please correct me if my memory is faulty on that point. There was also some residual fear of another Fat Albert situation. The "plan" - amongst us, anyway - was to draft DL early and often. But that didn't happen.

We were not in as favorable a situation with the cap last season and our defense hadn't yet performed like a sieve against the run yet again, so there wasn't the same sense of urgency that exists this season.

This season Harrison counts $10.6M against the Giants cap and he is guaranteed $24M over the length of his contract. Apparently, the Skins didn't want to carry that kind of cap and financial burden to sign him last year.

It doesn't matter if Harrison is better than Williams because we can't choose between the two of them. We can only learn from what the Giants did to improve their DL last season. I think we can find some DL help in FA this season if Scot decides to go after one or two of them.
Snacks is a damn boss...he ended our season with the play against C Thompson screen pass. And ill never forget how he effing dominated our oline 2 seasons ago when we played the Jets.

The guy is worth the money, no question. All pro last 2 seasons.

He Gets Us
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #45
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Snacks is a damn boss...he ended our season with the play against C Thompson screen pass. And ill never forget how he effing dominated our oline 2 seasons ago when we played the Jets.

The guy is worth the money, no question. All pro last 2 seasons.
Was it your position last year that we should sign him?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote