TC/Preseason injuries

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Re: TC/Preseason injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
JT had 11 sacks the year before we got him. How is that washed up?
Everyone knew the leg had issues. Taylor was 34, on the down side of the career. Not worth a second round pick nor would any other GM have given that up. It was a bad trade that I rank up there with TJ Duckett.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
I agree. Injuries or not, a second round pick for a washed up, already slowed DE was really, really dumb. That's been rehashed. But it is true. Not too many GMs would have made that boneheaded move. 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder, maybe, but 2nd rounder, we were robbed.
We were over a barrel. We paid a premium because we had to. If you are thirsty in the desert how much do you pay for a bottled water? More than you do anywhere else in the world.

The 2nd was decent in my opinion based on the player we thought we were getting. But we should have held onto the other pick.

The biggest issue was bringing in a guy who simply had no chance to succeed here because he was a round peg headed for a very square hole. In fact the mere thought of replacing a giant behemoth run-stopper with a lithe speed pass rusher seems beyond idiotic to me. Blache should have just walked up to Vinny and kicked him in the balls before he made the deal.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
takethecake
Special Teams

It was just playing him at an unnatural position in a new system that made him ineffective - I wonder how much say Blache had in that trade...

Concerning the other topic, I'd guess that if you look around the league, EVERY team is having these minor injuries that have players sit out a day or two. The only major implications are the season-ending or 4-6 week sidlining injuries that are really something to worry about. Of course, even after saying that I still have nightmares where our season looks like last season with the major O-line injury troubles...
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Everyone knew the leg had issues. Taylor was 34, on the down side of the career. Not worth a second round pick nor would any other GM have given that up. It was a bad trade that I rank up there with TJ Duckett.
Ok, what? In some ways maybe but seriously? We trade a for a future HOFer one season removed from double digit sacks and that compares favorably to trading for a middle-tier power RB one season removed from losing his starting job?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Ok, what? In some ways maybe but seriously? We trade a for a future HOFer one season removed from double digit sacks and that compares favorably to trading for a middle-tier power RB one season removed from losing his starting job?
all right that was a bit of a leap. lol. I just hated that trade so much I am bias in my rants

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
all right that was a bit of a leap. lol. I just hated that trade so much I am bias in my rants
They were definitely both poor trades.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
We were over a barrel. We paid a premium because we had to. If you are thirsty in the desert how much do you pay for a bottled water? More than you do anywhere else in the world.

The 2nd was decent in my opinion based on the player we thought we were getting. But we should have held onto the other pick.

The biggest issue was bringing in a guy who simply had no chance to succeed here because he was a round peg headed for a very square hole. In fact the mere thought of replacing a giant behemoth run-stopper with a lithe speed pass rusher seems beyond idiotic to me. Blache should have just walked up to Vinny and kicked him in the balls before he made the deal.
I agree. The intentions were good, but it wasn't a very wise move IMO. I would have rather we kept the picks and platooned Evans and Wilson. Wilson was coming off a few good games from the year before and I would have liked to have seen more of him. It's water under the bridge now. Like some of my posts, good intentions, poor results. Hey.... it happens.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #23
freddyg12
Playmaker

The fan reaction to injuries has taken on an added dimension since espn et al are covering camps on a daily basis. I was watching nfl network recently about the 72 dolphins & Shula said that he wanted to see if M. Morris could handle the load of a starting rb in PRESEASON! Shula talked about how Morris was talented but needed to prove he could carry the ball all game. That is unheard of now. The only guys that play that much in preseason are those that are on the bubble, not your potential starting rb.

I think the public reaction to injuries has influenced some coaches decisions on how they play guys in preseason. The guys have to play in practice or preseason to be ready. In the end, what's the difference as long as they're in full pads & contact? The idea that the nfl can limit injuries by reducing preseason is window dressing, especially if the regular season is extended.

It does seem however that in today's game there are more hamstring pulls & other nagging injuries that players have. Maybe in the past they just weren't reported as much. Also, today's players are more explosive & speed is a big part of the game. Sprinters can pull muscles easier than slow twitch runners such as o linemen & there are more 'sprinters' on the field these days w/LBs & some D linemen running very fast.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Kudos to all of you who didn't want Brian Cushing because of his injury history. He's out 3-4 weeks now with (I think) a knee injury
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Kudos to all of you who didn't want Brian Cushing because of his injury history. He's out 3-4 weeks now with (I think) a knee injury
Thank you! thankyouverymuch...LOL.

Still missing Rey though. After Rak puts the hit on a few QBs I'll start to forget little by little...
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Isn't Andre Smith holding out in Cincy? I know that's another player that the pundits were predicting for us.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Isn't Andre Smith holding out in Cincy? I know that's another player that the pundits were predicting for us.
Well to be fair, I doubt he would be a holdout with Snyder. Which leads me to ask, when was the last real holdout we had? Can somebody tell me please, I had been wondering that.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #28
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Well to be fair, I doubt he would be a holdout with Snyder. Which leads me to ask, when was the last real holdout we had? Can somebody tell me please, I had been wondering that.
Patrick Ramsey missed the first 17 days of training camp.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Patrick Ramsey missed the first 17 days of training camp.
thx.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #30
The Trigga
Camp Scrub

I have a feeling someday soon there will be pre-season games and 18 regular season games. Count on it
The Trigga is offline   Reply With Quote