Om Field: Preseason Game 1, Top Five Wish List

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Preseason Game 1, Top Five Wish List

Preseason Game 1: Top Five Wish List
August 13, 2009

Once again it's time for the requisite "what I want to see" piece heading into the first preseason game of a new season. Gotta do it—it's as much a part of the early-season NFL ritual as stopping at Best Buy for new box of blank DVD's. Only so many games can live on the DVR before it starts bogging down.

Top Five Wish List
Washington vs. Baltimore

V. Speed.
For as long as I can remember the Redskins have not been a fast team. They've had fast players now and again, sure, but haven’t been a fast team. In fact, they've often looked plodding by comparison. So at least twice in the "game" tonight, I want to react to a play by a Redskin that bespeaks pure speed.

Doesn't matter who does it, or in what context:

A running back beating inside pursuit and turning the corner. A linebacker or defensive end coming off the edge, closing on the QB with evil intent and actually getting there. A wide receiver pulling away from a defensive back who seems to have the angle. A punt returner splitting the gap with a burst. You’ll know the kind of play I mean if (when!) you see it.

Former Cowboys Head Coach Jimmy Johnson talked about speed being the one thing he realized he needed to bring to the roster when he took over in Dallas back in 1989. No Redskins fan has forgotten how that worked out.
Speed thrills. I want some.

IV. I was actually kind of glad to hear big DT Albert Haynesworth won't play. For one thing, it removed the chance of reliving the massive letdown that was the first preseason game back in 1998, when uber-free agent signing DT's Dana Stubblefield and Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson first lined up next to one another.

Those of you too young to remember can't imagine the hype leading up to the first preseason game that year—those two guys were the missing ingredient, baby. And those of you old enough to remember surely haven't forgotten the air escaping from our collective balloon as the ho-hum Miami Dolphins proceeded to march right down the field for a TD on their first possession, largely on slashing off-tackle runs right through our brand new multi-million dollar turnstiles.

And no, I'm not suggesting Haynesworth is going to be a bust—far from it. I'm just happy enough to save that first peek for a week, and use this week to get my first look at what this year's defensive might look like without him … because you know he's going to miss at least a game or two.

To that end, nothing would make me happier tonight than seeing some other defensive big men stand up and get noticed. Rookies Brian Orakpo or Jeremy Jarmon, young returning vets Chris Wilson or Rob Jackson, old hands Andre Carter or Phillip Daniels ... anyone.

Just get after the passer—show some movement up front. Gotta have it.

CLICK HERE to read more
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Om Field: Preseason Game 1, Top Five Wish List

So good I had to read it twice! Good work Om. Let's roll!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Good stuff man, good stuff.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

Here's mine:

1. no injuries
2. no injuries
3. no injuries
4. no injuries
5. see above
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Here's mine:

1. no injuries
2. no injuries
3. no injuries
4. no injuries
5. see above
I am interested in how long Zorn plans to play the starters. Has he said anything in the media about that?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Probably not long, a series or two.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
-Om-
Special Teams

Hard to argue with your list, Matty. My #1 too, w/o qualification.

However .. if the Skins get give up 9 sacks, can't rush the passer, commit multiple sideline brainfarts and get rolled 30-3, but come out injury-free, I'm going to check up and make sure you're not complaining.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
Hard to argue with your list, Matty. My #1 too, w/o qualification.

However .. if the Skins get give up 9 sacks, can't rush the passer, commit multiple sideline brainfarts and get rolled 30-3, but come out injury-free, I'm going to check up and make sure you're not complaining.
I am gonna go ahead and say the contrary. Matty will be one of the few telling all the other chicken littles to calm down. Not to suck up, but I have seen it before.

I usually also don't care about preseason, but if that actually happened I might be complaining.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

If Om's scenario comes true I would be concerned. But for the first preseason game, it's tough to make much of it. Little to no game planning goes into it, the starters will barely play, and it's basically an audition for the scrubs and some PT for the backups.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Hey guys just wanted to wish the WARPATH FAITHFUL good luck in tonights preseason opener.

Best of luck and heres to NO INJURIES and everyone enters the regular season 100% healthy.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
If Om's scenario comes true I would be concerned. But for the first preseason game, it's tough to make much of it. Little to no game planning goes into it, the starters will barely play, and it's basically an audition for the scrubs and some PT for the backups.
All true. And I'll be at the front of the "take it easy guys" line as well--always have been when it comes to preseason. But in my heart of hearts I also know I'd have to fight the urge to find a tall building with crumbly ledges for at least an hour or two after the game.

Bet you a cold one you would too.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

Its funny how over the years how preseason games have become such a big deal and how they keep track of the stats and the win/loss records. I guess its just become big business but I can remember years back when people might check out a few moments of the game and then cut it off. If I'm correct back in the 80's the preseason games where more like a scrimage and you could not even hit the QB's. Times have changed and yea I'll be glued to the TV tonight. I'm with other and just hope we make it trough preseason with no major injuries.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

You've always been able to hit the QB in preseason games, FD. At least for as long as I've been watching, since the early 80's.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
....I'm correct back in the 80's the preseason games where more like a scrimage and you could not even hit the QB's. Times have changed and yea I'll be glued to the TV tonight. I'm with other and just hope we make it trough preseason with no major injuries.
You may be thinking of the controlled scrimmages the Redskins used to have with the Pittsburgh Steelers up in Carlisle. They'd be on the Saturday before the first preseason game. Local Channel 5 would broadcast 'em. Babe Laufenberg would usually provide the drama. Don't recall for sure, but they may well have limited contact on the QB's in those affairs.

The Skins also scrimmaged the Ravens for a couple years at FedEx under a similar arrangement, including once when they had to shut it down due to lightning in the area, which of course PO'd a whole lot of fans who had schlepped all the way out there. I think the fallout from that may have contributed to the end of the arrangement.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Well. I'm definately excited for tonight's game. I want to see the strides guys like Tryon, Rinehart, Davis, and the 2 recievers have made. I am going to be watching this game with a particular eye on the rookies as well. I just want to see glimpses of "greatness" from at least a couple of these kids. Redskins Football is almost here. So close you can taste it