Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #46
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: All Things Offensive Line: 2011 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Bring back Zorn!
Sorry to break the bad news, but I think the Browns saw his potential and hired him. The Skins could offer a couple of draft picks for him though.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #47
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Sorry to break the bad news, but I think the Browns saw his potential and hired him. The Skins could offer a couple of draft picks for him though.
What a shame. Between 2008 and 2010 Zorn was our greatest head coach.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Try Chiefs
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #49
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Try Chiefs
Ah, I can see it now:
"Stay Medium, Cassel. Don't throw it up for grabs to Bowe, just check it down to Charles."

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #50
diehard
The Starter

In the draft, where did all the OL go?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #51
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Dirtbag's 30Gut like Essay

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
In the draft, where did all the OL go?
Looking back at the draft I find myself wondering if we should have taken Stehpen Wisenski over Jarvis Jenkins. However doing so would violate my priorities for building a team (1. QB 2. DL 3. OL 4. RB 5. LB 6. DB. 7. WR/TE).

Round 3 we really did need a receiver and Hankerson was clearly a steal so I have no problem with not drafting an OL. Clint Boling was the only good lineman available, and certainly would have been a nice find here, but even I had to concede that Hankerson was clearly the better choice.

Looking back at Round 4 I didn't really see any zone lineman selected and it's hard not to love a guy with gamebreaking speed like Helu in a Shanahan offense.

Round 5, Gomes. Don't really know what to think of him. My impression as of right now is a Chris Horton clone which seems to be a waste as we already have Horton and Doughty. How I feel about this pick will depend on how well he can live up to his versatile label meaning Nickleback, SS, FS, and Special Teams.

Niles Paul, don't like the pick. He seems like Devin Thomas lite. All the physical tools, slightly worse character, none of the production.

Still in Round 5 the only lineman selected were Marcus Cannon to NE (T/G TCU), Jason Pinkson to Cle (T Pitt), Julian Vandervelde to Phi (G, Iowa), Kilgore to SF (G, App State). Out of those guys Cannon was the only value pick and he was gone before Gomes. Vandervelde would have fit well in a zone scheme but might have been a reach. The other guys are specifically poor fits for zone schemes.

Now in looking at the 6th round the Niles Paul pick from the 5th should have been used on DeMarcus Love. A versitle player that had to play both RT and LT on a regular basis in Petrino's strong weak offense. Love was considered a first round pick at one point but dropped when he was put under the microscope. Reports say he has all the physical tools but is inconsistent when it comes to footwork. I guess they really like Oldenberg, Fulton, and Heyer.

Fusco (C Slippery Rock) was selected before we picked and would have been a decent fit in a ZBS. However I love the vision and production of Royster and people that were hoping to draft Salas should love the pick of Alderick Robinson in the 6th as they both come from the same offense. I constantly heard that the Robinson pick was a steal so I had no problem with it.

The only thing that bums me out is that we missed out in the 7th on one of my favorite prospects in Andrew Jackson. Tough, smart, above average athlete. Jackson dropped from the 3rd or 4th due to corners with durability. Jackson was selected before our pick.

Thompson, as a general principle I HATE corners. I hate them. They're starting to become cocky just as receivers are becoming humble. Still I like Thompsons production and attitude and think he could easily fit nicely as a nickle or dime back as unlike Carlos he's capable of making turnovers.

Going back to Corners though you find that it really is the safest position early because scouts are usually very good at finding the guys that can cover which means a lot of the good corners don't usually fall during the draft. A list of the leagues top corners will give you a list of more first round picks then any other position in the league. Where other positions top players frequently see late round steals, top corners are usually all first and early second rounders.

Rereading Maurice Hurts report makes me feel better about the pick. When we first got him I thought he was more of a mauler with huge character concerns, now I see that the character concerns are minimal and that he does in fact have the physical tools to succeed in this offense.

Chris Neild. Not a lot to dislike about this pick. Tough hard working Nose Guard that at worst will be a rotation player. He will make the team and he will be here for no less then 5 years.

So to review.

In the 2nd round we only really could have considered Wisenski over Jenkins and seeing how badly we needed D-Line help this could have been a bad choice.

In the 3rd the only comprable value to Hankerson was Boling and as good as Boling is Hankerson beat him in both need and talent.

4th round, not a lot to dislike about Helu Jr. Cannon might have been the only justifiable lineman here and between the cancer and the mauler label might now have been a good fit. I'll certainly be rooting for Cannon though

5th Round is where it got tricky. Gomes and Paul were reaches and we could have had DeMarcus Love (OL Arkansas) or Andrew Jackson (G Fresno State).

6th Round, Royster has great vision and production. Robinson has production and talent and with this coaching staff could easily be a steal.

7th Missed out on Jackson. Dirtbag hate's corners especially late round corners since good ones rarely slip to the later rounds. Hurt was a decent pick and should at least be on the practice squad and Neild was a steal.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #52
diehard
The Starter

^Great post!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #53
freddyg12
Playmaker

Great post Dirtbag! Especially the point about CBs. Fitting that a dude named Dirtbag would analyze CBs in the draft in an offensive line thread!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #54
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Looking over the offensive line I've been looking for some creative solutions via free agency...and maybe trades. Bottom line at RT we should be able to come away with Brown or Harris in Free Agency however in terms of interior help, well safe to say we better hope Kory L, Montgomery, Cook, and Capers continue to develop.

Tyson Clabo - RT - Falcons - Had no idea he was a pro bowler this past year but you can't deny the fact that Matty ice has been able to stand upright as well as the fact that Turner has been running wild. Apparently the Falcons won't be able to afford him. Also of note Falcons run a zone scheme.

Jermon Bushrod - T - Saints - Apparently didn't do the best job replacing Jammal Brown this past year and the Saints might be ready to put Charles Brown at LT rather then resign Bushrod to a new contract. Though it's also rumored that the Saints will try to keep him. Bottom line is Bushrod athletic, strong, and experienced. Certainly a good fallback option for a tackle if available.

Matt Light - T - Patriots - Veteran Left tackle that might hit free agency due to the emergence of Sebastian Volmer and the drafting of Nate Solder. Would follow in the footsteps of former Patriot Damien Woody making the more to Right Tackle. Still wouldn't be better or cheaper for that matter then Brown.

Jeremy Trueblood - T - Tampa Bay - Former second round pick of Bruce Allen. Is tall and moves well for his height. Hard worker. Lost starting job to James Lee. Can't be accused of not being a team player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueblood on Loosing Starting Job
“It's disappointing, but I'm trying to be a team player first,'' Trueblood told Kaufman. "It's more disappointing than anything else, anger too, but honestly I can't be that mad. I have a job playing a kid's game.'

"I just want to contribute to wins. I don't like standing on the sidelines. This is when it gets exciting and you'd like to be in there. If I've got to be a good team guy and get our defense ready, that's what I've got to do. Things happen and I realize that. James Lee is my friend and I wish him the best. I don't want him to do bad so I can go back in there … I want him to succeed so the team does well.''

Ryan Harris - T- Broncos - The ideal ideal cut free agent. Harris was key part of one of the top offensive lines under Shanahan in 2008 however struggled under McDaniels power based system. Harris is younger then Brown but also prone to injuries.

Quote:
The Broncos are not expected to bring back free agent RT Ryan Harris for the 2011 season.
Director of Football Operations John Elway has continuously recited the Broncos' starting offensive line in recent weeks, and he's named four players that don't include Harris. They're LT Ryan Clady, LG Zane Beadles, C J.D. Walton, and RG Chris Kuper. Harris has plenty of talent and is only 26 years old, but has been injury prone and may price himself out of Denver's range.
Jamaal Brown - T - Redskins - Easily the most talented tackle available to the Redskins. Recovered from a hip injury late in the season and became a force in the running game. Is said to be open to returning to the Redskins but also said to want to play his natural position of Left Tackle.

Davin Joesph - G - Buc's - Pro Bowl interior lineman that would be a huge steal for the team and solve many problems up the middle. Would also give the team their best interior player since Randy Thomas in the early to mid 2000's. Unfortunately the likely placement of 2010 rules would make Joesph a restricted Free Agent and the Buc's have made signing Joesph long term a priority.

Harvey Dahl - G - Falcons - Nasty zone blocker, but it's hard to see the Falcons letting more then 1 of their 3 Free Agent starters get away in free agency.

Kasey Studdard - G - Texans - Experience in the Shanahan offense. Backup last year. Started 14 games in 2009. Smart player only above average athlete. Not sure if he'll be tendered or allowed to hit the open market.

Logan Mankins - G - Patriots - The Capicola of free agent Guards but currently franchised and I seriously doubt that the Patriots remove that tag opting instead to either resign him or trade him.

Lyle Sendlein - C/G - Cardinals - Not sure if he'll even be available but will almost certainly be tendered under 2010 rules.

Mike Pollak - C - Colts - Former second round pick. Fits profile of a zone lineman but Colts have obviously struggled to run the ball in recent years. Not sure if he'll be tendered or resigned.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #55
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quick question what do the games in most of these highlights have in common?

Also this made me laugh:
Quote:
Traviscooper34

Williams over OKUNG Grossman over Mcnabb Releasing Santana Moss Motivating Haynesworth Ryan Kerrigan?? Shanahan is a donkey as his son.
1 day ago

- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 05-16-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #56
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Long Post: Please Don't Quote

So in todays converstation with myself and attempt to keep my awesome thread alive I will provide footage of the O-Line at it's worse and some at it's best.

Watch this video in YouTube to see the whole game via following the related videos.

O-Line at it's worse:
YouTube - ‪Jared Allen Sacks Mcnabb‬‏
YouTube - ‪Ndamukong SUH 6,5th Sack 2010 (Donovan McNabb)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Ndamukong SUH 5,5th Sack 2010 (Donovan McNabb)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Clay Matthews Sacks Donovan McNabb (1)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Redskins @ NY GIANTS: Jason Pierre-Paul SACKS McNabb (12-5-10) HD 1080P‬‏
YouTube - ‪Redskins @ NY GIANTS: Justin Tuck SACKS McNabb (12-5-10) HD 1080p‬‏
YouTube - ‪Ndamukong Suh TD on Rex Grossman Fumble Lions vs Redskins 2010‬‏

Game Highlights Showing key plays with our O-Line
Early Season Struggles
NFL Game Center: Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins - 2010 Week 1
Texans Game shown in Full
YouTube - ‪St. Louis Rams vs. Washington Redskins WK3 2010‬‏
NFL Game Center: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles - 2010 Week 4
YouTube - ‪Washington Redskins vs. Green Bay Packers WK5 2010‬‏

Midseason hope
NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at Washington Redskins - 2010 Week 6

Back to the drawing Board: The Dark Weeks
YouTube - ‪Redskins vs Bears highlights 2010‬‏
Lions game Shown Above under "Worst Of" with 30 Minute Replay
Surprise Mostly Eagles on Offense: YouTube - ‪Eagles vs Redskins HD Highlights‬‏

Turning Point for O-Line - Tenneesee and beyond
YouTube - ‪NFL Tennessee Titans vs Washington Redskins [Week 11] Highlights 2010 HD‬‏
YouTube - ‪Vikings vs Redskins 2010 Highlights (week 12)‬‏
YouTube - ‪New York Giants vs Washington Redskins‬‏
NFL Game Center: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Washington Redskins - 2010 Week 14
YouTube - ‪2010 Week 15 Cowboys Redskins‬‏
YouTube - ‪NFL Redskins vs. Jaguars highlights week 16‬‏
YouTube - ‪NFL Highlights - Giants - Redskins Week 17‬‏

2010 Highlight Video
YouTube - ‪Washington Redskins 2010 Highlights‬‏

Anyway I'm not sure how this post is suppose to go but at the very least in watching the recaps and some of the games the O-Line seemed much improved at the end of the year. Certainly not close enough to be considered a finished project but not nearly as bad as we sometimes make it out to be.

- FRPLG