Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who will be the Skins best Pass Rusher for 2016-17?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Who will be the Skins best Pass Rusher for 2016-17?

Important in this discussion is who lines up against the top pass protector. Whoever the Redskins put up against the LT on most passing downs, that's who Joe Barry believes is the best pass rusher. We'll see what happens there.

If it's Kerrigan or Galette or Smith, whoever it is this is the list of LTs they will face this year. I can see the top pass rusher on the team getting the fewest sacks, just because it's two games against Tyron Smith and Jason Peters each, plus Joe Thomas. Giants have Ereck Flowers going into his second season, we'll see what he becomes. There are other players here that are meat, rookies, etc.

I could see Smith getting 10 while Galette and Kerrigan draw the attention and get limited to 8-9 each. If I'm Joe Barry, I put Galette against the LT on most passing downs. But if you go Kerrigan there I wouldn't be mad about it. Just don't expect the best pass rusher to actually register the most sacks, because matchups.

Steelers: Alejandro Villanueva
Cowboys: Tyron Smith, All Pro
Giants: Ereck Flowers, 2nd Year 1st Round
Browns: Joe Thomas, All Pro
Ravens: Ronnie Stanley, Rookie 1st Round
Eagles: Jason Peters, Former All Pro, Declining
Lions: Taylor Decker, Rookie 1st Round
Bengals: Andrew Whitworth
Vikings: Matt Kalil
Packers: David Bakhtiari
Cardinals: Jared Veldeer
Panthers: Michael Oher
Bears: Charles Leno

Advertisements
Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

Who will be the Skins best Pass Rusher for 2016-17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
Should be Gallette, but maybe Smith edges him out. It's never gonna be Kerrigan, just not quick enough.

Never? He's done it before, why not again? He had 13.5 just a couple years ago, 12 or 13 should be enough to lead the team again.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Important in this discussion is who lines up against the top pass protector. Whoever the Redskins put up against the LT on most passing downs, that's who Joe Barry believes is the best pass rusher. We'll see what happens there.

If it's Kerrigan or Galette or Smith, whoever it is this is the list of LTs they will face this year. I can see the top pass rusher on the team getting the fewest sacks, just because it's two games against Tyron Smith and Jason Peters each, plus Joe Thomas. Giants have Ereck Flowers going into his second season, we'll see what he becomes. There are other players here that are meat, rookies, etc.

I could see Smith getting 10 while Galette and Kerrigan draw the attention and get limited to 8-9 each. If I'm Joe Barry, I put Galette against the LT on most passing downs. But if you go Kerrigan there I wouldn't be mad about it. Just don't expect the best pass rusher to actually register the most sacks, because matchups.

Steelers: Alejandro Villanueva
Browns: Joe Thomas, All Pro
Ravens: Ronnie Stanley, Rookie 1st Round
Lions: Taylor Decker, Rookie 1st Round
Bengals: Andrew Whitworth
Vikings: Matt Kalil
Packers: David Bakhtiari
Cardinals: Jared Veldeer
Panthers: Michael Oher
Bears: Charles Leno
Want to see a LOT more of Smith against Tyron Smith. If anyone has worked T. Smith, it's been Preston. Saw some highlights and Tyron just doesn't have the length to work against him.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Never? He's done it before, why not again? He had 13.5 just a couple years ago, 12 or 13 should be enough to lead the team again.
I think the 13.5 he had that year represents the absolute ceiling. He had 4 against the Jaguars in that one game where everybody got home. That line may not have been able to protect in a college game.

Not to take anything away, I love Kerrigan. He's a very good pass rusher, and has a great all-around element to his game. Stout at setting the edge, smart, instinctive.

I'm playing him against the LT on all 1st and 10s, and for nickel passing downs I'm not taking him off the field. I just put Galette in the cat bird seat on obvious passing downs.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #20
30gut
Playmaker

Kerrigan isn't flashy, he can't get low and speed bend like Junior.
But, from a production stand point...be it total pressures (sacks, hits and hurries) or just sacks he's both productive and consistent.

If you go back 2 years Junior and Ryan had the same amount of pressures and nearly identical pass rush productivity.
Since then Ryan has continued to be a top 5/top 10 in pass rush productivity for edge rushers....meanwhile Junior has battled through major injuries.

They're both productive when healthy...but Ryan is healthy more often.

Preston is the wildcard. He came on like gangbusters towards the end of the season...and he reminds me of Michael Bennett
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
53Fan
Franchise Player

Redskins pass rush gets major boost
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Still no one talks about our 4th OLB. Will it be Lynden Trail or Wiilie Jefferson, I understand they are both pretty athletic, fast and raw freaks. Very curious to see who wins that spot during training camp.

How Lynden Trail Can Make an Impact on the 2016 Redskins - Hogs Haven

Redskins Home

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 07-08-2016 at 06:49 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
We should have the best pass rush in the division...may top ten in the NFL? I don't think it's out of the question. It all comes down to the health of The Belt

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #24
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Still no one talks about our 4th OLB. Will it be Lynden Trail or Wiilie Jefferson, I understand they are both pretty athletic, fast and raw freaks. Very curious to see who wins that spot during training camp.

How Lynden Trail Can Make an Impact on the 2016 Redskins - Hogs Haven

Redskins Home
For what it's worth, I'm gonna quote from the book of Cooley again.

He definitively said on the radio last week Trail wasn't making the cut. Cooley basically said at OTAs experienced personnel watchers can compare how players move athletically and pretty much narrow the field to a handful of players who are the last ones in and first ones out.

He was touting his own player personnel acumen, then seemed to contradict himself.

Cooley then went into a discussion about how some players didn't show their stuff until they put pads on at camp and used Steven Daniels as an example (even though he hasn't seen Daniels in pads): that is Daniels using smarts and toughness to make up for a lack of athleticism.

Apparently, Trail was so unimpressive he doesn't have a chance.

Factor in how Cooley hangs around the park and is good friends with the owner and much of the coaching staff. He probably has a good idea of who they like and who they don't.

Whether or not Trail makes the team has to be the least worthwhile post I've made on here, but hey, it's the middle of summer and literally nothing else is going on besides waiting for the next Dallas Cowboys arrest or an uppity Giants related post.

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 07-09-2016 at 11:06 AM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #25
ethat001
Impact Rookie

I'm looking forward to the pass rush, but honestly am very fearful for our rush defense.

We'll face teams like Dallas who could scrap the pass entirely and could conceivably rush for 200+ yards against a weak front, control possession, and then throw play action strikes. Crossing fingers for a FA veteran pickup later this year, but don't see a solution until next year.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I'm looking forward to the pass rush, but honestly am very fearful for our rush defense.

We'll face teams like Dallas who could scrap the pass entirely and could conceivably rush for 200+ yards against a weak front, control possession, and then throw play action strikes. Crossing fingers for a FA veteran pickup later this year, but don't see a solution until next year.
True...I think if McC thought it was more of an issue he would have been more aggressive addressing it with personel. Either him and Barry have a plan in place with scheme or he thinks with the the young talent will emerge (Daniels, Speight, Compton, Cravens) in that second level. I would love a baller cut who can play in the interior dline...it rarely happens

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote