Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jason Campbell's Gift & Curse

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Jason Campbell's Gift & Curse

Campbell owed consistency*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

This is the main reason why I want Saunders back. It seem like every time he gets set in a offense they change the it that's the CURSE. JC is still learning the game, techinques & handling the pressure of being a NFL QB period. If he didn't spend his whole college career and first two pro years switching coordinators he might be better off now. Here's the GIFT the fact that he has changed coordinators since 2001 it shows how tough & raw talented he is to not master a offense but be successful in it. He lead Auburn his senior year to a 13-0 record and got snubbed for the national championship game, and is doing a damn good job as a pro but I hope they keep Saunders around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
YellowBirdy
Camp Scrub

Re: Jason Campbell's Gift & Curse

I understand what you are saying about JC having to always be adapting to new O coordinators but what do you think about the Gibbs’s idea that next year there should be open a competition between JC and Collins for the starting QB position. IMO I think it’s a good idea as I think this season was going nowhere until Collins came in and although it coincided with the team coming together after Sean Taylor’s death I think that Collins got much more out of the offense than JC did. I think if they both knew that there was going to be a fair competition for the starting role it would give Collins the incentive to stay and it would give JC the incentive to learn more of Saunders offensive scheme.
YellowBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Redskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBirdy View Post
I understand what you are saying about JC having to always be adapting to new O coordinators but what do you think about the Gibbs’s idea that next year there should be open a competition between JC and Collins for the starting QB position. IMO I think it’s a good idea as I think this season was going nowhere until Collins came in and although it coincided with the team coming together after Sean Taylor’s death I think that Collins got much more out of the offense than JC did. I think if they both knew that there was going to be a fair competition for the starting role it would give Collins the incentive to stay and it would give JC the incentive to learn more of Saunders offensive scheme.

And yet heres the kicker the Key players started to make plays and the O-Line seemed to show up, these are luxuries that Campbell did not have. When the O-Line played like trash so did Collins. A great deal of Collins success can be owed to Clinton Portis showing up to run the ball. When Collins got what Campbell was getting all season during the seahawks game I think it was evident that Jason Campbell poses more of a threat to other teams with his harder passes better deep balls and ability to scramble. One last thing that should be noted I dont want to ever see a two-minute drill quarterbacked by Collins again that was just terrible. So I say let them ave a competition, but Jason is young and tender and this is no way to show that the organization has faith in him as a starting QB.
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
YellowBirdy
Camp Scrub

I just don’t buy that it’s all a coincidence that CP and the O Line started to improve as soon as Collins came in. I think a lot of the improvement came from the offense playing more of Saunders scheme and so showing the opposition Defence lots of different views so they couldn’t put as much pressure on us.

I think it would be great if JC does become the QB that we can go on and build an offense around, but just wishing it will happen won’t make it happen and I think that the Offenses immediate improvement as soon as he got injured has to make you question that. I think next year he has a lot to do to prove he’s the long term future.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
And yet heres the kicker the Key players started to make plays and the O-Line seemed to show up, these are luxuries that Campbell did not have. When the O-Line played like trash so did Collins. A great deal of Collins success can be owed to Clinton Portis showing up to run the ball. When Collins got what Campbell was getting all season during the seahawks game I think it was evident that Jason Campbell poses more of a threat to other teams with his harder passes better deep balls and ability to scramble. One last thing that should be noted I dont want to ever see a two-minute drill quarterbacked by Collins again that was just terrible. So I say let them ave a competition, but Jason is young and tender and this is no way to show that the organization has faith in him as a starting QB.
While I think that Campbell should be the starter, I disagree that he threw better deep balls than Collins. Campbell consistently overthrew receivers in the clear, including a potential game winner to B. Lloyd at Green Bay and a game clincher to Moss at Philly. Perhaps Campbell is a victim of his own arm strength and just needs to learn to put more air under the ball. Collins threw beautiful deep balls to Moss against Dallas and Seattle, and great ones to Cooley and Moss at Minnesota. He even hit Moss deep twice in the howling wind in NY. On all of those, the receiver was hit in stride, whereas the flatter trajectory of Campbell's throws earlier in the season forced receivers to lay out for the ball, removing any chance of yards after catch. Let's hope that Campbell studies what Collins did well running this offense: getting rid of the ball on time (before the receiver's cut) and putting touch on his passes.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Todd Collins is a career backup for a reason - weak arm. I'll give him credit for the final four games of the regular season. He performed great, way above expectations. The Seattle defense did a great job of exposing his weaknesses, lack of mobility and weak arm. Once the Seahawks game planned against Collins, he reverted back to weak armed quarterback that we saw in pre-season. I have no problem with bringing back Collins as a backup but in no way can he beat out Jason Campbell as starter. I'm pissed off at Al Saunder for holding back on Jason Campbell. Obviously he felt more comfortable with Collins running the offense and opened up the playbook. You sink or swim with your starter. Allow him to run the full playbook. If he is not capable, then make a change. The Skins need to draft a third string quarterback in the late rounds and allow him to develop.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
flashalexb
Camp Scrub

I totally agree imagine having to relearn your job every year for 6 years and then have to learn The HUGE playbook of Al Saunders. If given the chance Campbell would actually be able to learn more then the first few plays of the playbook and then he would become an elite QB.
flashalexb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

If I'm not mistaken, Campbell went through 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years at Auburn. Then adapted to Saunders after a year under Gibbs. So he's shown he is able to adapt pretty quickly to changing atmospheres and philosophies.

And while I'm sure continuity is much better for JC, I would imagine he would do very well under a new OC if that situation came about.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
I just don’t buy that it’s all a coincidence that CP and the O Line started to improve as soon as Collins came in. I think a lot of the improvement came from the offense playing more of Saunders scheme and so showing the opposition Defence lots of different views so they couldn’t put as much pressure on us.

I think it would be great if JC does become the QB that we can go on and build an offense around, but just wishing it will happen won’t make it happen and I think that the Offenses immediate improvement as soon as he got injured has to make you question that. I think next year he has a lot to do to prove he’s the long term future.
I don't think it was a coincidence w/Collins coming in, I think it all transpired at the same time that the entire team came together & started playing on an emotional high. The O line play was definitely better in those last 4 games, whether it was due to Collins' making the O more unpredictable or not, I don't know. Keep in mind part of that was simply that teams didn't have anything recent on film to prepare for against Collins. In the Bears game Collins got a lot of max protect plays too.

In the Seattle game we saw the right side of the line finally exposed. Neither Fabini or Heyer could slow down their man & it impacted Collins' throws. Just like some of JC's games, we couldn't come back due to INT's.

I'll give Collins all the credit he deserves, and even say he should get a chance to start, but I don't see it happening. JC is the future & he's shown enough to earn the job. Of course he isn't as proficient at reading defenses & knowing the playbook as Collins, but he'll only improve by playing.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Bad idea. Gibbs just has a hard on for veteran QB's. Look at the whole Brunell deal? The guy just wouldn't bench Brunell in 04 & 06 to save his life. Collins came in and did his job. Take it for what it is. Collins will get exposed for his lack of mobility, his lack of playmaking and weak arm if he has to go 16 games. W/out question it should be JC's job. If JC struggles then we know we have Collins to come off the bench.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Campbell owed consistency*-*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

This is the main reason why I want Saunders back. It seem like every time he gets set in a offense they change the it that's the CURSE. JC is still learning the game, techinques & handling the pressure of being a NFL QB period. If he didn't spend his whole college career and first two pro years switching coordinators he might be better off now. Here's the GIFT the fact that he has changed coordinators since 2001 it shows how tough & raw talented he is to not master a offense but be successful in it. He lead Auburn his senior year to a 13-0 record and got snubbed for the national championship game, and is doing a damn good job as a pro but I hope they keep Saunders around.
If Saunders does not come back perhaps they will leave this offense in place and just bring in someone who is familar with the terminology for less money. Say Cam Cameron or let Lazor call the plays. 2mil a year for an OC is just ridiculous.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
YellowBirdy
Camp Scrub

I’m not saying that Collins definitely should be next years starting QB and because of his age as well as his arm strength I don’t think he can be considered as the long term future. But I think that for a career back up QB, with a weak arm and who has only played 4 games in 10 years, to come in and improve the Offense says a lot about how well or badly JC has been playing and if he has been getting anything like what he should from this Offense.

You say he’s shown enough to get the starting position but I can’t see it. I think if he does get the starting position its based on faith in what he will do, I don’t think you can point to anything he has already done to say he should straight out be given it.