He's about where I expected him to be 39 72.22%
Disappointed but still optimistic 4 7.41%
He's a bust 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #151
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Dwayne Haskins preseason thread

You guys are trying to juxtapose other rookie qb's success onto ours. Jay Gruden is none of those coaches, and Haskins is none of those qb's.

Set him in there too early with our shitty o-line and nobody he has a rapport with yet and we risk seriously undermining his confidence. Let him study the playbook, get comfortable and see the grind of the season firsthand, and stick him in there if Keenum doesn't live up to expectations. But if Gruden doesn't think he's ready and/or he doesn't have a solid base of plays he can run well, don't do it.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #152
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

He also has some at times atrocious footwork that needs to be fixed. That should be worked on in the practice field. He also needs to learn when to slide and when to run out of bounds, with his Tom Brady speed he isn't going to be ripping off any 60 yard runs anyway. Right now behind a suspect line he is an accident looking for a place to happen. He has potential, no reason to risk injury or his confidence at this time.

It amazes me in this day and age how many athletes get to the pros still lacking basic skills and have bad habits. I remember Colin Kapernick, strong arm, ran like a deer but his footwork and overall mechanics were a mess. I guess things have changed. I am pushing 60 and played quite a few different sports through college. No matter what the sport, footwork and mechanics were pounded in your head right off the bat. If you were lousy at them you spent a lot of time running laps.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #153
GridIron26
Playmaker

Just voted - I'm impressed with Haskins overall. I was one of those people who weren't sure of Haskins when we drafted him. After watching Haskins play in preseason, I'm sold on Haskins now. It is evident Haskins is still raw and has ways to go however, I'm excited about his talents and what he brings to the table. I even could even see how dynamic the offense can be when Haskins is in groove. Gruden made a right move by going with Keenum as this will give Haskins an opportunity to see how players work during the season, this will give Haskins time to learn how to study and prepare accordingly during season. At this point, I would delegate Alex Smith to mentor Haskins all way during the season if I were Gruden. In other words, I want to see Alex with Haskins every time we see one of them.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #154
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Does anybody factor in how hard Jay's offense is to learn even for vets, let alone rookies?

Give me one highly regarded draft pick who came in here on offense and balled out from day one. Jay's offense just takes time to learn, and unfortunately for him he doesn't have the luxury of time right now. No playoffs and he's out. Haskins comes in, realistically playoffs are a long shot with a subpar offensive line and no weapons/unseasoned rookies at wideout. Guice/Peterson will help but let's be real, teams are going to stack the box until they know Keenum or Haskins can beat 'em.

Haskins coming in and balling out is unlikely because Jay does not run an offense that can suit the scheme for the player. We don't have a McVay running the offense for him anymore.
As much as I don't want to bring him up. RG3, mainly because the offense was tailored to him as you mentioned Gruden doesn't do

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #155
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Wentz didnt play at all in the Eagles run-up to their Super Bowl win and he was injured last year too so I'm not sure he's the best example. But that said, I agree that sitting DH all year is a total waste. Play him and see what he can do.
To be fair, Wentz was the league MVP up to the point he got hurt during their SB year. That Eagles team was making the SB with Wentz or Foles that year. They were that good in 2017.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #156
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

John Clayton compared Haskins to Winston on the Morning drive sirius xm. I do see some comparisons, both move better than expected, big arms but are not as accurate as you would really like. I think the ceiling is higher for Dwayne tho
Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #157
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
John Clayton compared Haskins to Winston on the Morning drive sirius xm. I do see some comparisons, both move better than expected, big arms but are not as accurate as you would really like. I think the ceiling is higher for Dwayne tho
Haskins has a much better mind than Winston though. Much higher ceiling too

Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #158
Warthog
The Starter

If Haskins isn't playing by game 6, I'll be disappointed. I expect our record at that point to be 1-4 or 0-5. What's the point of watching Case Keenum finish out a mediocre season? Sitting on the sidelines only gets you so far. Playing in the actual game is the quickest road to gaining the experience he needs, even with a crappy OL.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #159
irish
Playmaker

[quote=Warthog;1227955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Wentz didnt play at all in the Eagles run-up to their Super Bowl win and he was injured last year too so I'm not sure he's the best example. But that said, I agree that sitting DH all year is a total waste. Play him and see what he can

Wentz has a 88 QB rating in regular season and a record of 18-11. He played his entire rookie year. He has a 92 QB rating in the playoffs.

If Haskins sits out the season what has he gained? He’ll have a better understanding of Jay Gruden’s offense AND have gained ZERO playing experience.

After the season Jay Gruden will be fired, so Haskin’s knowledge of Gruden’s offensive strategy and play calling will mean nothing. He will just be starting over with no more play time than he has now.

Put him in after we get through the first 5 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does Wentz have any kind of rating in the playoffs since he's never played in a playoff game. 2016 the Eagles didn't make the playoffs, 2017 & 2018 he was hurt and didn't play in the playoffs.

The only way I wouldn't start Haskins by week 6 is if the team is 4-1. He needs to play sooner rather than later.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #160
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
As much as I don't want to bring him up. RG3, mainly because the offense was tailored to him as you mentioned Gruden doesn't do
I should've clarified better Quake, I'm referring to Jay Gruden draft picks only. We haven't had any offensive draft picks come in as rookies under him and ball out their rookie years. I'll concede Scherff did but he's the only one.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #161
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I should've clarified better Quake, I'm referring to Jay Gruden draft picks only. We haven't had any offensive draft picks come in as rookies under him and ball out their rookie years. I'll concede Scherff did but he's the only one.
I figured that is what you meant, I feel Guice would have, but the injury. I 100% understand what you are saying, I just am ready to see Haskins in the regular season

Old 08-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #162
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I figured that is what you meant, I feel Guice would have, but the injury. I 100% understand what you are saying, I just am ready to see Haskins in the regular season
I am too. The idea of saving anyone on this team for the future is ridiculous. Teams that have been consistently good for awhile have the luxury of being able to build for their future, the Skins do not. This team is and has been garbage for close to 2 decades, the future for this team is now. Play him and see what happens, there's nothing to lose.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #163
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I noticed most of the times Haskins is off target his feet are not set properly, if that can be fixed his accuracy will improve immensely. I am amazed how accurate he is considering the flawed footwork and mechanics.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:56 PM   #164
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I don't agree with putting Haskins in just for the sake of putting him in. Whether he is the best option or not. And I put more stock in what the coaches see daily in practices and meetings than pre season games. With our o line and expectations, I'm ok with tie goes to the veteran. It's not an exact science, rookies have played well and guys that sat a year +, have balled too. Every situation is different. I don't see how it hurts to have him sit tho.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #165
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Good morning

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk