Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Fringes of Football


Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Fringes of Football


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
FrenchSkin
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,755
Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Hi guys, figured this thread would belong here, fringes of football indeed :

Coming to DC for 4 days in December to see the Skins beat the Giants at home !

We have ourselves a guide book but I was hoping you guys could help me on a couple of things:

1) What do you think would be the cheapest way/place/website to rent a car ? (Don't LMGTFY me, I checked that, but maybe there are tips that I wouldn't have heard of ?)

2) What "unlikely to appear in a tourist guide book" place or activity would you recommend ?
Anything from a small restaurant, sports bar, to your favorite escape game or theater/concert place... anything that has you thinking "Man that's not written in his stupid guide book and he shouldn't leave DC without doing/seeing it!" !

3) Last but most important: I'm planning to go to FedEx with a nice sign and some face paint, but we'll have to travel light because we bought the cheapest plane tickets possible... So do you have any idea where I should go to find material such as colored cardboard, glue, big markers and burgundy and gold face paint in DC ?
Are there any fan gear stores that would sell those items ?

Of course, if any of you is going to this game, I'll be there early and would gladly drink a beer or two with a fellow Warpath member !

HTTR !!!
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,984
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

1. If you are staying in DC, Arlington, Alexandria or anywhere inside the Beltway, Uber or Lyft might be a cheaper/easier option than renting a car. In the city Metro will get you to all the tourist places in/around The Mall.

2. I would go to Ford's Theater and see 'A Christmas Carol'. Historic venue and a great play to start your holidays. Hillwood is also a great museum (near the zoo). The greatest collection of Russian art outside of Russia.

3. I would expect you could find most of those items at CVS or a store like Target. Stores like Target, Kohls, or Wal-Mart sell Redskins gear at cheaper than at the game. I'd definitely check the Redskins website to see what you can and cant bring into FedEx.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
mooby
Gamebreaker
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 14,669
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Don't be afraid to check places like Modells for sales. Bought several jerseys/beanies/etc. there over the years when they had stuff on sale. Best one was an Ovi Winter Classic sweater (jersey for you NFLers) they had marked 50% off two days before the Winter Classic.

If you really want to rent a car I'm surprised you didn't look into car offers paired with your flight. When I fly I always look into their offers for discounted rental cars because often times it's easier than booking a car separately. Key exception is when flying into a major touristy city like Chicago/Boston/Vegas, they have massive insane taxes that cost as much as the actual rental if you rent at the airport. Not sure if DC is like that too but you can get around it by taking an Uber/Lyft to a rental agency several blocks away from the airport and renting there.

I also second Irish's suggestion to verify what you can't bring into Fedex. The list is long. My ex had to ditch her umbrella in the parking lot because they wouldn't let her bring it into the game once.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Buffalo Bob
Impact Rookie
 
Buffalo Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 593
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Where are you staying? DC has a pretty good Metro rail system. It is best to tour DC by foot and by train, finding parking is either expensive a pain in the ass or all of the above. I would definitely hit the museums. For the record I have only played "tourist" in DC a couple times. I live 80 miles south in the middle of the woods.

I guess for something not mentioned you could grab a bite and or catch a college game at Joe Theisman's in Alexandria. That was one of my landing spots when I first visited the area before moving here 7 years ago.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,984
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Where are you staying? DC has a pretty good Metro rail system. It is best to tour DC by foot and by train, finding parking is either expensive a pain in the ass or all of the above. I would definitely hit the museums. For the record I have only played "tourist" in DC a couple times. I live 80 miles south in the middle of the woods.

I guess for something not mentioned you could grab a bite and or catch a college game at Joe Theisman's in Alexandria. That was one of my landing spots when I first visited the area before moving here 7 years ago.
Theisman's is a good suggestion and is literally across the street from King St. Metro station.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Buffalo Bob
Impact Rookie
 
Buffalo Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 593
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Theisman's is a good suggestion and is literally across the street from King St. Metro station.
My first trip here I stayed a couple blocks from Theisman's. I got in the morning of Thursday Dec. 14th, 2006. The hotel room I stayed in had a full kitchen, big desk, couch, big screen TV, large bedroom, etc,etc. Everything except NFL network. At the time I was a 49er fan from Cali and the 49er-Seahawks were on Thursday Night football and the 49ers were still in the hunt to win the division.

I had rented a car but did not want to drink and drive, also I had no idea about the awesome Metro Train system. Somehow the guys at the desk did not know about Theisman's and only knew the bars close by on their same street. I started walking around and every bar I stopped in was not showing the game. I went back to the room and watched scrolled score updates on ESPN while drinking a six pack. Driving around exploring the next day I found that Theisman's was less than a half mile from where I stayed. That is where I spent my Saturday afternoon watching college football.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,519
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Hi guys, figured this thread would belong here, fringes of football indeed :



Coming to DC for 4 days in December to see the Skins beat the Giants at home !



We have ourselves a guide book but I was hoping you guys could help me on a couple of things:



1) What do you think would be the cheapest way/place/website to rent a car ? (Don't LMGTFY me, I checked that, but maybe there are tips that I wouldn't have heard of ?)



2) What "unlikely to appear in a tourist guide book" place or activity would you recommend ?

Anything from a small restaurant, sports bar, to your favorite escape game or theater/concert place... anything that has you thinking "Man that's not written in his stupid guide book and he shouldn't leave DC without doing/seeing it!" !



3) Last but most important: I'm planning to go to FedEx with a nice sign and some face paint, but we'll have to travel light because we bought the cheapest plane tickets possible... So do you have any idea where I should go to find material such as colored cardboard, glue, big markers and burgundy and gold face paint in DC ?

Are there any fan gear stores that would sell those items ?



Of course, if any of you is going to this game, I'll be there early and would gladly drink a beer or two with a fellow Warpath member !



HTTR !!!


Sweet man! Definitely gotta check out the Smithsonian American Art Museum. They used to sell these cool burgundy n gold masks inside Fedex.
This place is pretty happening too...

http://www.blackcatdc.com/
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Buffalo Bob
Impact Rookie
 
Buffalo Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 593
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

You probably should state your approximate age and who you're traveling with for those who have been to DC to make appropriate suggestions. A 40+ year old man with a wife and kids in tow won't be interested in the same places someone in their early 20's and single would be.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,519
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
You probably should state your approximate age and who you're traveling with for those who have been to DC to make appropriate suggestions. A 40+ year old man with a wife and kids in tow won't be interested in the same places someone in their early 20's and single would be.


Thats why i gave him a club and a museum to choose from. Lol.
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
mooby
Gamebreaker
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 14,669
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Thats why i gave him a club and a museum to choose from. Lol.
Well if you're into museums take your pick French, DC has plenty to choose from.

Also the Black Cat?

Come on man, 930 club is where it's at. Also heard good things about The Anthem but I haven't been yet.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
FrenchSkin
The Starter
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,755
Re: Getting ready for my Week 14 DC trip !

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!!! Theismann's place is exactly the kind of things I was talking about, not in the book, good place to meet and bond with Americans in a pretty American way !

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
1. If you are staying in DC, Arlington, Alexandria or anywhere inside the Beltway, Uber or Lyft might be a cheaper/easier option than renting a car. In the city Metro will get you to all the tourist places in/around The Mall.

2. I would go to Ford's Theater and see 'A Christmas Carol'. Historic venue and a great play to start your holidays. Hillwood is also a great museum (near the zoo). The greatest collection of Russian art outside of Russia.

3. I would expect you could find most of those items at CVS or a store like Target. Stores like Target, Kohls, or Wal-Mart sell Redskins gear at cheaper than at the game. I'd definitely check the Redskins website to see what you can and cant bring into FedEx.
We're staying at my father in law's friends' place, in McLean. This is why I figured we needed a car, from what I saw, it's a 20 min drive from DC, but 1h by train so...

Smart tip, I'll check the list, thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby
Don't be afraid to check places like Modells for sales. Bought several jerseys/beanies/etc. there over the years when they had stuff on sale. Best one was an Ovi Winter Classic sweater (jersey for you NFLers) they had marked 50% off two days before the Winter Classic.

If you really want to rent a car I'm surprised you didn't look into car offers paired with your flight. When I fly I always look into their offers for discounted rental cars because often times it's easier than booking a car separately. Key exception is when flying into a major touristy city like Chicago/Boston/Vegas, they have massive insane taxes that cost as much as the actual rental if you rent at the airport. Not sure if DC is like that too but you can get around it by taking an Uber/Lyft to a rental agency several blocks away from the airport and renting there.

I also second Irish's suggestion to verify what you can't bring into Fedex. The list is long. My ex had to ditch her umbrella in the parking lot because they wouldn't let her bring it into the game once.
Probably a smart tip too, I'll check if they have offers, I actually didn't know we were going to rent a car when we took the plane tickets !

Yeah I'll check but I'm just thinking about a cardboard sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob
You probably should state your approximate age and who you're traveling with for those who have been to DC to make appropriate suggestions. A 40+ year old man with a wife and kids in tow won't be interested in the same places someone in their early 20's and single would be.
Spot on!! I'm 28 and will be traveling with my wife, she actually went to DC twice with her parents before we met and she LOVED the city... (haven't figured how to get her to root for the Skins yet though ^^).

We'll definitely do the classical touristic things to do, but we also like to go outside the box a little bit, so if you tell me the widest ball pit in America or a really nice hiking trail are 30 minutes from DC, that's things we'd be interested in!
__________________
Is there another french fan of the Redskins?

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 11-22-2018 at 05:08 PM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.09521 seconds with 12 queries