Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #181
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I believe it may have been Jay who said earlier in the year that of course the redskins and many other NFL teams would consider Alex Smith in 2020 if he was cleared to play and ready to go....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
How long have you been a fan? Long enough to learn coach speak right?
If Jay Gruden isn't delusionaly optimistic about players coming back from injury, nobody is. I remember last year listening to him on the radio go over the injuries, he would refer to guys as day to day or probable for Sunday and the guys would be out a month more or worse.

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #182
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

So Ryan Finley is starting this week for the Bengals?

these reports about Haskins not knowing the playbook yet and he continues not to be ready.

THIS IS A MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEM

on a team with a shit offense..what 9 quarters without a fucking TD?

Haskins wasn't even worth a 2nd round pick at this point. What a fucking joke...

He Gets Us
Old 10-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #183
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah the lack of progress for Haskins is very, very alarming. Even the small sample size people have to be concerned about exactly HOW bad he looks.

Like if you're developing at a snail's pace, when you need to develop at a pretty rapid pace to even perform as well as a Joe Flacco, it's not a good sign.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #184
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So Ryan Finley is starting this week for the Bengals?

these reports about Haskins not knowing the playbook yet and he continues not to be ready.

THIS IS A MAJOR FUCKING PROBLEM

on a team with a shit offense..what 9 quarters without a fucking TD?

Haskins wasn't even worth a 2nd round pick at this point. What a fucking joke...
Is Ryan Finley starting because he's looked amazing in practice or is it because the Bengals are 0-7 with Dalton at the helm?

If the Bengals finish with 1-2 wins and Finley doesn't do any better than Dalton are you still gonna be slobbing on Finley's knob because he was starting and Haskins isn't?

I find it hella pathetic the amount of freaking out this fanbase is doing over Haskins not starting. Why do you care if he starts or not as long as next year or the year after he's playing like a pro qb? We're not contending this year, winning games only hurts our draft position.

You guys question the process like the process of getting your rookie qb to start for a team that fired the HC and replaced him with a guy who's been coaching o-line for the last 15 years is the norm.

Why don't we ask Baker Mayfield if starting early last year for a HC who was promoted from QB coach is helping him now?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #185
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah the lack of progress for Haskins is very, very alarming. Even the small sample size people have to be concerned about exactly HOW bad he looks.

Like if you're developing at a snail's pace, when you need to develop at a pretty rapid pace to even perform as well as a Joe Flacco, it's not a good sign.
Does anybody think that the chaos and dysfunction of trying to learn how to be a pro qb in this environment could possibly be stunting his development?

If it's just me so be it.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #186
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is Ryan Finley starting because he's looked amazing in practice or is it because the Bengals are 0-7 with Dalton at the helm?

If the Bengals finish with 1-2 wins and Finley doesn't do any better than Dalton are you still gonna be slobbing on Finley's knob because he was starting and Haskins isn't?

I find it hella pathetic the amount of freaking out this fanbase is doing over Haskins not starting. Why do you care if he starts or not as long as next year or the year after he's playing like a pro qb? We're not contending this year, winning games only hurts our draft position.

You guys question the process like the process of getting your rookie qb to start for a team that fired the HC and replaced him with a guy who's been coaching o-line for the last 15 years is the norm?

Why don't we ask Baker Mayfield if starting early last year for a HC who was promoted from QB coach is helping him now?
1. You need to see what we have in the rookie NOW...with a potential top 3 pick in the draft, we could be in a position to draft a top line QB prospect in the coming draft. Its working for Arizona versus Josh Rosen 2. Its extremely unusual for a 1st round QB to not be getting playing time in his first year. Its actually really strange. Its already speaking to the fact he was over drafted. 3. Game speed, how to run an offense, call plays, situational football....the more he knows, the better he gets. The biggest factor is this experience: RIGHT NOW it is ok to make mistakes with zilch to play for. Fuck, go out and throw 4 picks...its ok, we aren't winning the superbowl (don't let Bruce know, but we aint close).

There really isn't a negative at this point in the season.

He Gets Us
Old 10-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #187
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
1. You need to see what we have in the rookie NOW...with a potential top 3 pick in the draft, we could be in a position to draft a top line QB prospect in the coming draft. Its working for Arizona versus Josh Rosen 2. Its extremely unusual for a 1st round QB to not be getting playing time in his first year. Its actually really strange. Its already speaking to the fact he was over drafted. 3. Game speed, how to run an offense, call plays, situational football....the more he knows, the better he gets. The biggest factor is this experience: RIGHT NOW it is ok to make mistakes with zilch to play for. Fuck, go out and throw 4 picks...its ok, we aren't winning the superbowl (don't let Bruce know, but we aint close).

This. To not play him at this point or after the bye is just illogical.

Regardless, I think injuries make him a lock for starts at some point this season, even if the Skins wanted to not start him at all.

--------

Mooby - yes, I think any players progression is stunted here vs with a functional team but particularly with the Haskins situation.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #188
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: The Haskins Thread

Well Haskins is getting first team reps now and he likely will play against the Bills top rated defense. Lets just let this season play out and see where the cards land.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #189
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

We could be in a position to draft any qb not named Tua, however I'm much more interested in drafting the best stud football player available. If the next best guy behind Tua is some average first rounder we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Yes, in today's NFL the trend is definitely towards rookie qb's starting, however that doesn't mean historically it trends well. Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and Brees. 3 out of 4 of those qb's sat for at least a season to start their careers. The 4th became a stud in his contract year for the Chargers, who let him go because they had already drafted his replacement (who also didn't start his rookie year and has since become a quality qb).

You're not gonna convince me that a qb has to start his rookie year so you can determine if he needs to be replaced next year. It takes qb's multiple years to learn. It's the hardest position to learn, bar none. Ya'll acting like because we didn't draft the next wunderkind we need to get rid of him. Let's just be honest here Chico, you've already made your opinion of him based on the fact he hasn't looked good while playing in limited action. Unless he starts and blows the fucking doors off this franchise sometime before the end of this season the majority of this fanbase is going to advocate moving on from him if there's a better prospect available in the draft.

We all played ourselves. Dan and Bruce played Gruden. Gruden played us. Forcing a lame-duck HC to draft a qb who has no chance of coming in his rookie year and contributing is a terrible fucking move, and Haskins career is stunted from the start. He's damaged goods now and if we move on next year we're gonna be forced to sell low on him because nobody is going to give up a good draft pick for a guy you have no faith in.

The cycle of mediocrity continues.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #190
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
We could be in a position to draft any qb not named Tua, however I'm much more interested in drafting the best stud football player available. If the next best guy behind Tua is some average first rounder we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Yes, in today's NFL the trend is definitely towards rookie qb's starting, however that doesn't mean historically it trends well. Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and Brees. 3 out of 4 of those qb's sat for at least a season to start their careers. The 4th became a stud in his contract year for the Chargers, who let him go because they had already drafted his replacement (who also didn't start his rookie year and has since become a quality qb).

You're not gonna convince me that a qb has to start his rookie year so you can determine if he needs to be replaced next year. It takes qb's multiple years to learn. It's the hardest position to learn, bar none. Ya'll acting like because we didn't draft the next wunderkind we need to get rid of him. Let's just be honest here Chico, you've already made your opinion of him based on the fact he hasn't looked good while playing in limited action. Unless he starts and blows the fucking doors off this franchise sometime before the end of this season the majority of this fanbase is going to advocate moving on from him if there's a better prospect available in the draft.
We all played ourselves. Dan and Bruce played Gruden. Gruden played us. Forcing a lame-duck HC to draft a qb who has no chance of coming in his rookie year and contributing is a terrible fucking move, and Haskins career is stunted from the start. He's damaged goods now and if we move on next year we're gonna be forced to sell low on him because nobody is going to give up a good draft pick for a guy you have no faith in.

I totally haven't stated this or wished this. calm the fuck down. I want Haskins to succeed and build around a young QB, who doesn't ? But first round picks play...the expectation is they can play and show an inkling of talent. But the opportunity to grab a talent in the top 3 at QB is franchise-changing, it has to be explored, simple due dillegence

He Gets Us
Old 10-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #191
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I totally haven't stated this or wished this. calm the fuck down. I want Haskins to succeed and build around a young QB, who doesn't ? But first round picks play...the expectation is they can play and show an inkling of talent. But the opportunity to grab a talent in the top 3 at QB is franchise-changing, it has to be explored, simple due dillegence
I'm pretty sure we know he has an inkling of talent, the arm strength is there. Obviously he's not a quick learner or he'd already be in there.

With as much as we now know, I don't think we can judge Haskins on a week-by-week basis. He hasn't shown any flashes in game action, obviously because he's not ready. Hopefully he's starting by the end of the year just so this fanbase will shut up, but realistically his future here will be determined by the next coaching staff. The next HC is going to come in here, test and grade him, and if he doesn't meet the grade the next HC is going to want to bring in his guy regardless.

Idc what happens as long as he keeps working hard to learn. That's all I'm concerned with right now.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #192
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Haskins should play the rest of the year so he has experience going into next year. I don't want a QB in this draft. Give me Andrew Thomas or Chase Young. The way we are playing one or both of them will be available.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #193
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Haskins Threat

Quote:

Thing is that Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are all coming out. We might very well be picking number 2. I think you are letting your inner Redskin get in the way. Do you think the Cardinals made the right move? Of course you do. But if you were a Cards fan last year you would have been saying the same thing. Give Rosen a chance. Forget Murray. Let Rosen grow and grab a stud at some other position. It is the logical thing to not want to waste a high draft pick. Problem is that now you would not have the quarterback of the future and it might be five years before you get another chance while Rosen/Haskins doesn’t pan out. Yes quarterback is that important and yes this is the perfect time (basically 8 preseason games for us because the season is over) to see what you got.
In 8 games we can see a whole hell of alot as far as whether it is worth developing Haskins or not Mooby. Letting him hang on the sidelines is just utter nonsense at this point. If he shows enough than we know we got our guy and we build around him. If he looks as lost in week 16 as he does now than you have to draft one of those three players. I understand you want to be patient but to what end? Why not use this lost season as an opportunity to at least get a better idea of what the right decision is. It seems to be working out well for the Cardinals.
As far as Brees and those others you mentioned I could name 20 for every one of them that did not pan out after sitting. They are obviously exceptions. Usually slow learners stay slow.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #194
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:

You guys question the process like the process of getting your rookie qb to start for a team that fired the HC and replaced him with a guy who's been coaching o-line for the last 15 years is the norm.

Wow! Someone who is finally speaking some sense!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #195
30gut
Playmaker

It’s an absolute joke that anyone thinks Haskins is a bust
Closed Thread