Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #61
MTK
\m/

Re: Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Here's the difference between Helu and Torain on a screen pass with identical blocking: there are defensive lineman in pursuit who will catch Torain after 14-16 yards. With Helu, good luck big guys. He's not slowing down to make his cuts, so chase him all you want, he's going to be running away from you,

Breakaway speed is so novel in this offense.
Helu is pretty amazing with how he can plant his foot and cut and not loose any speed. It's only a matter of time before breaks off some really big plays.

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #62
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Man coverage was really working for us in the first half, but we went away from it in the second half because of the injuries. That created lanes on the draw, and a number of quickly defined throws for Kolb who beat the pressure a number of times. There was also far less blitzing in the second half than the first, after the Cardinals showed a credible threat of a run.
Yeah Tim Ryan was killing me with his whole "Arizona has made great adjustments". If you by adjustments you mean our entire secondary is backups and we can't actually run much more than base right now then yeah Arz made good adjustments. Otherwise what really happened was we had a bunch of special teamers playing in the secondary against maybe the best WR in the league and a half decent QB. We understandably had some trouble with that.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #63
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
How about that 4th and 3 call at the 18 when Rex hit Moss for the TD? Love the balls of that play call and the decision by Rex. That's why I can't fault us for not running the clock down at the end. I think the coaches have sent a clear message, we're going down swinging no matter what.
Great read by Rex. The play was meant to go to the flat for a first down but Rex recognized that Moss was singled and the CB peaked too hard. The safety had zero chance. Arizona has some major issues on defense.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #64
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
How about that 4th and 3 call at the 18 when Rex hit Moss for the TD? Love the balls of that play call and the decision by Rex. That's why I can't fault us for not running the clock down at the end. I think the coaches have sent a clear message, we're going down swinging no matter what.
that took some major balls.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #65
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

nevermind, snippy for no reason...HTTR

Last edited by CRedskinsRule; 09-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #66
redsk1
The Starter

Rak and Kerrigan had a great game. Fletcher was his usual self. Lot's of injuries in the secondary but we managed to hang on.

On offense, Rex had a good comeback game. Had a shaky start but finished well. That's tough to do. Fred Davis, Moss, TH, and Helu.

I've posted this before, but I went to the VaTech/Nebraska game a couple years ago. Watched their running back just tear it up. Didn't know who he was til that day but I was very impressed. He played against a pretty good VaTech D too. Obviously it was Helu Jr. I was very happy we drafted him then and he was great yesterday.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #67
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Rak and Kerrigan had a great game. Fletcher was his usual self. Lot's of injuries in the secondary but we managed to hang on.

On offense, Rex had a good comeback game. Had a shaky start but finished well. That's tough to do. Fred Davis, Moss, TH, and Helu.

I've posted this before, but I went to the VaTech/Nebraska game a couple years ago. Watched their running back just tear it up. Didn't know who he was til that day but I was very impressed. He played against a pretty good VaTech D too. Obviously it was Helu Jr. I was very happy we drafted him then and he was great yesterday.
I've known about Helu since I watched that game as well. When I was watching him tear up Tech's d I couldn't help but think, "why can't we have a guy like that in a Skins uni." This was before Shanny's time of course, but when I heard we drafted him I was excited, and I've been excited since. He's the type of burner Portis never was while he was here.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #68
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I've known about Helu since I watched that game as well. When I was watching him tear up Tech's d I couldn't help but think, "why can't we have a guy like that in a Skins uni." This was before Shanny's time of course, but when I heard we drafted him I was excited, and I've been excited since. He's the type of burner Portis never was while he was here.
You are correct. But Helu reminds me of the youthful Portis in Denver - quick feet, can accelerate rather than decelerate through cuts, and speed to burn.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #69
12thMan
MVP

How about our boy D.Young popping a nice little run. I would like to see Royster and Hank activated before the season's over.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #70
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Did anyone else watch Helu on the Big Ten Network this week?

They replayed his game vs. Mizzou/Blaine Gabbert. Helu ran for 308 yards...busted off several 70 yarders and it looked like he was running against kids.

Gomes had an interception and Niles Paul looked great as a WR...and they were kicking away from him as a returner.

All of our draft picks looked great that game, but Helu was unbelievable.

I have it DVR'd but watch out for it to be on again. Big Ten Network's Greatest Games.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #71
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Kerrigan - the guy was EVERYWHERE.

Fred Davis - is officially out of my doghouse. I am declaring myself a Fred Davis fan. Despite all the catches and yards, his best catch was on that quick out on 3rd down in the 4th quarter. I actually count on him to make big catches now. Amazing turnaround, keep it up.

London - a few times during the game I asked myself "Who was that kid chasing the QB? That kid's fast!", only to realize it was none other than the ageless wonder. Is it possible he's still getting better?? It's a true privilege having Fletch as a Redskin.

OL - not a perfect game but way better than last week, especially in pass pro. I was hard on TW and the OL last week so wanted to give props.

Others - Santana, Rak, Good Rex, HighHelu, Gaffney, Gano, coaches, and more...

GUTSY WIN BY THE NFC EAST LEADERS

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 09-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #72
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Kerrigan - the guy was EVERYWHERE.

Fred Davis - is officially out of my doghouse. I am declaring myself a Fred Davis fan. Despite all the catches and yards, his best catch was on that quick out on 3rd down in the 4th quarter. I actually count on him to make big catches now. Amazing turnaround, keep it up.

London - a few times during the game I asked myself "Who was that kid chasing the QB? That kid's fast!", only to realize it was none other than the ageless wonder. Is it possible he's still getting better?? It's a true privilege having Fletch as a Redskin.

OL - not a perfect game but way better than last week, especially in pass pro. I was hard on TW and the OL last week so wanted to give props.

Others - Santana, Rak, Good Rex, HighHelu, Gaffney, Gano, coaches, and more...

GUTSY WIN BY THE NFC EAST LEADERS

all HAIL!!!!!!
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote