Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's wrong with our Red Zone offense?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #46
wilsowilso

Re: What's wrong with our Red Zone offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Agree with having a big Power back on the roster, absolutely.
Put the 100 million dollar man in the backfield. That would freak some teams out.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #47
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Good thread.

I agree that throwing on 1st down once in a while would be nice. And given JC's mobility, rolling him a bit is a good option.

But execution is the key--funny thing is we only really notice lack of execution on passing plays: Sellars drop, etc. The failure of execution on a running play is harder to spot. But it could still be the cause of a failed play, rather than the play call. Now, I do think Zorn very much needs to improve there, but if we can't block at the point of attack on a run play, that's just weak.
I think part of it is execution, I think the other part is having a shorter field. When the defense is backed up and all bunched up it makes it more difficult to find a seam in the zone blocking. Between the 20's is not the problem cause atleast one Safety is back to be the last man and help the CB's, then you have the WR's running atleast 2 or 3 CB's out of the play, and a TE taking out one LB so if you can man up on everyone else the RB should have room to run. But when down near the goal line less room to run off those other defenders which actually give them 3 to 4 extra defenders. So you either spread them out or achnowledge your best bet to score is going to be pass.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #48
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I think the answer keeps hitting us in the face. When the Giants played us they kept all their defensive lineman and LB lined up between the tackles prior to ball snap. When we played the Rams they did the same thing. Why? cause everyone knows 90% of our runs go between the tackles. All they have to do is load up the middle and stuff the lanes. When the Giants played against Dallas they only kept 3 D-lineman between the tackles. They usually had one DE at each tackle position and one DL floating between them lining up. I believe it was to contain the outside run, but due to this Dallas ran all day up the middle even walked in for a TD. Even Romo ran one up the middle.

Zorn either figures out a way to stretch the other teams defense out or we will see more games like these last two. Hell put 4 WR's in spread them out and run the ball. Even it it's a QB run.
We've actually been using too much of the Stretch play, going outside rather than smashing it between the tackles. Even with a tight alignment if the DL gets push while the OL is stepping laterally it blows up the Stretch, as long as the cutback lanes are all filled and the DB on the outside keeps contain (which inside the 10 is pretty easy to do). I believe the Giants alignment particularly had more to do with the abilities of the RBs on the Skins vs. Giants rather than the potential playcall. Portis & Betts are not guys who have the explosiveness to start in and bounce out. Barber (pre-quad injury) and Jones can.

I certainly agree with your point about spreading out the D inside the 10 and creating space. Putting the big WRs on the outside will help spread the CBs out. Zorn needs to use his formations & motions better to get the D where he wants them to set up the inside runs.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #49
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Agree with having a big Power back on the roster, absolutely.
How much bigger then Sellers must they be? If he's not the proto typical power running back then how much bigger must they be? AH's size? I'm not calling you out but I think the team could find a way to utilize their talents better. To only use Seller for blocking and catching passes out of the back field is rediculous.

Power back: Seller
Regular back: Portis
Speed back: I still think we should have let Rock go especially since Thomas is doing the same job just as well and kept Dorsey or Alridge. With no threat to take the ball outside the tackles teams are loading up on us.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #50
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Put the 100 million dollar man in the backfield. That would freak some teams out.
Yes! Fridge, the Sequel.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #51
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

The easy solution is to score long TDs before we get into the Red Zone... problem solved
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #52
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
How much bigger then Sellers must they be? If he's not the proto typical power running back then how much bigger must they be? AH's size? I'm not calling you out but I think the team could find a way to utilize their talents better. To only use Seller for blocking and catching passes out of the back field is rediculous.

Power back: Seller
Regular back: Portis
Speed back: I still think we should have let Rock go especially since Thomas is doing the same job just as well and kept Dorsey or Alridge. With no threat to take the ball outside the tackles teams are loading up on us.
Sellers isn't a ball carrier, see last year's goalline fumble. There's a reason teams have guys like Sellers and Lorenzo Neal at FB, but rarely let them carry the ball.

I wouldn't have minded letting Rock go and working with Dorsey or Aldridge, but ball security was an issue with one, I think injury with the other. To your point though, it would be nice to have a complimentary speed back.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #53
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
The easy solution is to score long TDs before we get into the Red Zone... problem solved
and you are correct. If we find ourselves in the red zone, take the delay of game back us up to create more space and pass into the endzone.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Sellers isn't a ball carrier, see last year's goalline fumble. There's a reason teams have guys like Sellers and Lorenzo Neal at FB, but rarely let them carry the ball.

I wouldn't have minded letting Rock go and working with Dorsey or Aldridge, but ball security was an issue with one, I think injury with the other. To your point though, it would be nice to have a complimentary speed back.
Well we either use his size to our advantage maybe have him block for Cooley or cut someone to bring in a bigger back. I might have forgotten but I thought Alridge only fumbled once. I really don't have an issue with that if it was only once considering Portis, Betts, and Rock have fumbled before also. Should we cut them due to fumbling issues? No. Sooner or later everyone will make a mistake. As some of you have mentioned Sellers dropped one, but had a defender been closer I could have seen it getting intercepted. Hell, JC fumbled last game maybe he should be cut cause he's a risk. JK.

I think it was more of a numbers game and they liked what they had in Mason. but we still need the speed back.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #55
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Well we either use his size to our advantage maybe have him block for Cooley or cut someone to bring in a bigger back. I might have forgotten but I thought Alridge only fumbled once. I really don't have an issue with that if it was only once considering Portis, Betts, and Rock have fumbled before also. Should we cut them due to fumbling issues? No. Sooner or later everyone will make a mistake. As some of you have mentioned Sellers dropped one, but had a defender been closer I could have seen it getting intercepted. Hell, JC fumbled last game maybe he should be cut cause he's a risk. JK.

I think it was more of a numbers game and they liked what they had in Mason. but we still need the speed back.
Looks like we got our speed-back...back (check out the Aldridge thread)