Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Scud's Studs Week 1 (Giants at Redskins)

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Game balls: who gets yours?
Grossman 66 51.56%
Hightower 3 2.34%
Moss 11 8.59%
Davis 29 22.66%
Fletcher 10 7.81%
Kerrigan 69 53.91%
other 5 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #31
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: Scud's Studs Week 1 (Giants at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Very quietly, I think both Josh Wilson and Deangelo Hall had really good games. No passing TDs given up and if you take away that one big catch by Nicks, the Giants put up some very pedestrian numbers.
Also, one thing i noticed and am a bit surprised by, shit, ALOT surprised by, is Deangelo hall putting his helmet into ballcarriers with some force. I think his tackling has gotten a little better in the offseason somehow, and think he might have quietly gotten a little bit better as an overall player. He played a little rough out there, and if he can add that scrapper dimension as a sure tackler, he will be a pro bowler every year for the next 5 years or more. KUDOS defense!!!!!

(and btw.....where in the hell did Nield come from???? I cant wait to get Jenkins back paired up with this guy and Cofield........OMG.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #32
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
D. Hall and Josh Wilson-the Giants receiver were, for the most part, non-existent

London Fletcher-Just continues to amaze me, year after year
Agreed. Both maligned corners held down the Giants outside of the numbers. Manningham might as well have not been on the field.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #33
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I'm adding one.

Jim Haslett has now made awesome halftime adjustments three straight times against the Giants. The only difference was that we weren't down by a touchdown plus at the half in a way so that the damage was already done. We played them even for a half, then blew them off the field in the second half. Eli Manning is a very good player who flat out struggled to move the ball in the second half. For the third consecutive game against us.

If not for the offense in the first half, we're not even in it, but the defense won the game in the second half.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Even Rocky McIntosh had more positive plays than negative plays. I'm not exactly raising expectations for him, but it was good to see him get that fourth down defeat.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #35
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
D. Hall showed us more than just "flashy" That blitz was lightning fast and effective! Grossman surprised me with some nicely timed passing. If he settles in from here and stays steady, we may finally have ourselves a true starting QB.
He also blew up a screen by himself. Props to dhall. Good game all around. Here's to hoping he continues this consistently.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #36
The Goat
Pro Bowl

(This is a great theme for a weekly thread!!!)

Overall the defense looks significantly improved over last season.

- Fletcher. The man is a phenom. He's Ray Lewis minus the prototypical linebacker stature and consistent supporting cast (obviously things outside his control).

- Hall. He was in the right place at the right time (again) to get the pick...and he makes the catch!!! Today he showed commitment to the whole defense with solid tackling and a fiery blitz!!

- Kerrigan/Orakpo. We're gonna have consistent pressure so long as the d-line can hold its own. These guys are fun to watch!!

- Haslett. I'm not completely sold, but he's making it look like a solid buy!

Offense

- The Dragon. He's comfortable in this system and it shows. Some of his strikes today were elite and holy sh!t he showed grit standing in the pocket!

- Fred Davis. He's a monster...hopefully Shanny's next Shannon Sharpe.

- Moss. He's (knock on wood) our most consistent WR and showing a lot of smarts these days! The short yardage catch he made on 3rd down (?) when he immediately turned up-field to get the 1st was impressive.

- Helu. That's right. Coach sends you in late in the game (your first as a pro) behind a struggling o-line. No fumble. I think it was a test. Pretty easy to see the talent/potential there...I'm psyched to watch him develop.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #37
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Even Rocky McIntosh had more positive plays than negative plays. I'm not exactly raising expectations for him, but it was good to see him get that fourth down defeat. Oh, and D. Hall played great too! I'm starting to like him more and more.

Nice insight Gtripp.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 AM   #38
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Nice insight Gtripp.
D-Hall's my brother.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #39
polywog
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I am only guessing honestly because it was hard to tell without watching film...I suspect OJ Otogwe had a hell of a game. Other than the one play to Nicks they Giants had nothing down field available all day.
I did not hear Otogwe's name the entire game......I was pretty hammered, though!

That's kind of amazing as I'm used to our free safety being referred to as "toast."

Last edited by polywog; 09-12-2011 at 05:40 AM.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #40
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
The regular season is off and running, and so were our Redskins. Plenty of praise to go around today, so let's narrow it down.

Mike Shanahan: A tip of the hat for going with Rex as the starter. Sure he doesn't have Beck's mobility, but he stood strong in the pocket today, and demonstrated confidence and a real command of this offense in his third year with Kyle Shanahan.

Rex Grossman: The fumble could have been really costly, but otherwise, a very good game. Distributed the ball well, stood in there and took some hits in order to get the right throws off, and displayed a bit of gunslinger mentality. It was all against a very depleted secondary, so there's certainly a grain of salt, but Rex had himself a heck of a game.

Rookie defensive draft picks: Will Ryan Kerrigan and Chris Neild please stand up? Wow. Who would've thought Neild would see so much time on the starting D-line? And Kerrigan's tipped pass/pick 6 was awesome. Love what we have in these two.

Fred Davis: I like Chris Cooley as much as any Skins fan, but Davis is just too much of a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses for us not to have him out there a lot.

The 3-4 switch: Night and day from last year. I know the Giants had plenty of injuries, but they were largely to their defense. Their offense couldn't do much of anything, particularly from the mid-2nd qtr on. The personnel folks are doing a very good job transitioning us quickly from a 4-3.

Sav Rocca/Special Teams: Sav Rocca was the most underrated of our offseason signings. He was pinning the Giants deep left and right. Banks had a nice return. If it weren't for Gano's FG miss, I'd give an overall A to teams.

Who were your studs today?
i gotta disagree about grossman, he had a decent game but far from being a stud. your saying he stood in there and took some hits to make throws, where i think all he is doing is holding on to the ball way to long just like old rex, which leads to multiple sacks for losses and fumbles. and as fot the gun slinger mentality that would be awesome if he could throw the deep ball. that pass that was short to moss was a td all day long, he just threw a god awful pass.

that said i still think he had a pretty decent game it's just uneasy seeing him revert to his old self and make the same dumb plays we all knew he eventually would.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #41
polywog
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i gotta disagree about grossman, he had a decent game but far from being a stud. your saying he stood in there and took some hits to make throws, where i think all he is doing is holding on to the ball way to long just like old rex, which leads to multiple sacks for losses and fumbles. and as fot the gun slinger mentality that would be awesome if he could throw the deep ball. that pass that was short to moss was a td all day long, he just threw a god awful pass.

that said i still think he had a pretty decent game it's just uneasy seeing him revert to his old self and make the same dumb plays we all knew he eventually would.
He was under some serious pressure and was often throwing off his back foot. Rex made mostly very good decisions and was for the most part, spot-on with his throws.

Very often, a defender was RIGHT IN Grossman's face, a lesser man would have left the game with a concussion.

Beck would have chucked several Int's.

Rex certainly out played Eli.

Last edited by polywog; 09-12-2011 at 07:44 AM.
polywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #42
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by polywog View Post
I did not hear Otogwe's name the entire game......I was pretty hammered, though!

That's kind of amazing as I'm used to our free safety being referred to as "toast."
I bet you heard Reed Doughty's though cause he was BALLIN!!!!!

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post

He had a few bad plays...the fumble and the back to back sacks that put us out of FG position. I thought Kyle could've helped him out there w/ a run on 2nd down and then maybe a screen on 3rd. Gotta take a possible 3 there to go up 10. But overall Rex did a real nice job hanging in there cause he was under pressure all day long.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #44
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I'm adding one.

Jim Haslett has now made awesome halftime adjustments three straight times against the Giants. The only difference was that we weren't down by a touchdown plus at the half in a way so that the damage was already done. We played them even for a half, then blew them off the field in the second half. Eli Manning is a very good player who flat out struggled to move the ball in the second half. For the third consecutive game against us.

If not for the offense in the first half, we're not even in it, but the defense won the game in the second half.
X2. Held them scoreless in the 2nd half and 1/10 on 3rd down. Great job there by Haslett.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #45
MTK
\m/

For all the crap he took last year, Haslett definitely deserves a tip of the cap today.