Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #46
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Scud's Studs (12th off the bench): Cards vs. Skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Not that I advocate trading Cooley but most of our pass catchers are possession first guys. Armstrong is the only real deep threat thats regularly on the field. Moss these days is more quick and smart then he is fast. Kind of wish they would give Austin more playing time just to stretch the field a bit.
My guess is that he will see Austin next week, my gut tells me Stallworth was being showcased today and maybe Austin next week for when Moore and Buchanon return from injury/suspension. One of those guys will probably be traded, just guessing. I hope it's Stallworth who they get rid off.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #47
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
My guess is that he will see Austin next week, my gut tells me Stallworth was being showcased today and maybe Austin next week for when Moore and Buchanon return from injury/suspension. One of those guys will probably be traded, just guessing. I hope it's Stallworth who they get rid off.
It would be nice to get a replacement for Golston. Still I have to admit, I flat out love this receiving corps, namely Moss, Armstrong, Gaffney, Davis, Cooley. None of them are selfish, they're all willing to block, and they all have some sort of chip on their shoulder.

Vinny tried to build a group like this for 10 years and couldn't do it. Shanny did it in two years. lol. Lot of credit for the success of this unit has to go to both Kyle and Keenan.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #48
vallin21
The Starter

Am I the only one that thinks Hightower is slightly overrated as a runner? It took Hightower 20 carries to get to 96 yds, while Helu had 10 carries for 74 yds. The only knock on Helu is that he's not a good pass blocker.

Also, I'm not buying Shanahan's comment that Hightower was "tired". TH didn't play at all in the 2nd half, but for a couple of plays. I think Shanahan's seeing that Helu, with the exception of Pass Pro, is a more productive running and pass catching back than Hightower is.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #49
12thMan
MVP

We don't know what Helu is like starting the game and getting the bulk of the carries. While Helu is a good change of pace back, Hightower is the pacesetter, if you will. He gets the offense in a rhythm, which helps Rex out a lot.

Not to suggest that Helu isn't starting material, but I think for now the combination is right.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #50
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Hightower is slightly overrated as a runner? It took Hightower 20 carries to get to 96 yds, while Helu had 10 carries for 74 yds. The only knock on Helu is that he's not a good pass blocker.

Also, I'm not buying Shanahan's comment that Hightower was "tired". TH didn't play at all in the 2nd half, but for a couple of plays. I think Shanahan's seeing that Helu, with the exception of Pass Pro, is a more productive running and pass catching back than Hightower is.
Yes. Also, running backs do get tired. But even if they didn't, it doesn't hurt to change it up once in a while. Especially when you've got two different backs that complement each other like Hightower and Helu do. Not only does it keep both of them fresher, it's harder on the defense since they are getting more tired in the second half and the running back has fresh legs. The concept of one back being your workhouse for the entire game has been proven outdated. This league is an adapt or die league.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #51
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:

Not really. I think he does a good job on finding holes and falling forward for yards. You need a bruiser and a scat back to have a great offense, and we now have both.

You kinda pound them with Hightower, and then when the defense is tired.. Let Helu run around them. It's a big difference when you are out there attacking the same guy all day, and then a quicker/faster guy comes out and you feel like you have cement shoes.

I'm speaking from experience though.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #52
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I think TH may be a bit overrated...but I think the Cards were a bit too focused on him during the game (esp the likes of Darnell Dockett). On the Davis TD, I think the Cards were too sure of themselves that TH was going to run it. In the 2nd half, I think Shanahan went with the more productive RB, but also I think he wanted to go with the RB that didn't have the target on his back as well.

I like the way MS used two RBs this week and that's the way it should be. I think this should be an offense where it doesn't matter who is the #1 RB, because both should play.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #53
12thMan
MVP

Who would have thought we wouldn't be missing either Clinton Portis or Ryan Torain going into the third game of the season.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #54
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Here's the difference between Helu and Torain on a screen pass with identical blocking: there are defensive lineman in pursuit who will catch Torain after 14-16 yards. With Helu, good luck big guys. He's not slowing down to make his cuts, so chase him all you want, he's going to be running away from you,

Breakaway speed is so novel in this offense.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #55
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Man coverage was really working for us in the first half, but we went away from it in the second half because of the injuries. That created lanes on the draw, and a number of quickly defined throws for Kolb who beat the pressure a number of times. There was also far less blitzing in the second half than the first, after the Cardinals showed a credible threat of a run.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #56
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
CC isn't going anywhere. No sense in even discussing it.
But this is a lesson on GMing greatest....
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #57
diehard
The Starter

I didn't like the word chosen to describe Hightower's reason for being spelled. Guys are "tired" all of the time.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #58
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

No, you are not the only one. I am glad that we have Hightower and he is a good banger as a runner. Plus you need multiple backs in the NFL. But he is good only, not great. I hope we see more of Helu as time goes by.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #59
MTK
\m/

Helu is a nice change of pace, but TH is still a baller too. They're a nice duo.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #60
MTK
\m/

How about that 4th and 3 call at the 18 when Rex hit Moss for the TD? Love the balls of that play call and the decision by Rex. That's why I can't fault us for not running the clock down at the end. I think the coaches have sent a clear message, we're going down swinging no matter what.