Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Welcome Jahan Dotson, WR PSU - 1st Round Pick

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade the Commanders' first round (Dotson & trade down)
A 15 31.25%
B 23 47.92%
C 8 16.67%
D 1 2.08%
F 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2022, 11:53 AM   #46
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Welcome Jahan Dotson, WR PSU - 1st Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
He KILLED my Terps. Also, he didn't have the best QB, was obviously WR1, and still put up a ton of numbers. I'm sure he can put on a few pounds for the crowd who's concerned about his size.
He also killed Michigan St., Michigan, OSU, Auburn, Wisconsin, etc. He’s a playmaker who can do it all, he could be our future Gary Clark.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #47
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
He also killed Michigan St., Michigan, OSU, Auburn, Wisconsin, etc. He’s a playmaker who can do it all, he could be our future Gary Clark.
You can never have too many playmakers and I agree he can do it all
Old 04-29-2022, 12:18 PM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Old 04-29-2022, 12:46 PM   #49
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Secondly, any grade on this pick is incomplete. You have to wait and see who we get with the 3rd and 4th rounders we acquired in the deal. Don't forget, and this is not directed at you Matty it's directed at the 'hate the pick' crowd; it's Dotson plus __ plus __ vs Jameson Williams or Kyle Hamilton at 11. It's not Dotson vs.
Exactly
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #50
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think when they dropped down to 16 they were hoping Olave or Jameson Williams would be there, they won’t say that publicly of course. Slightly disappointing that it didn’t work out that way, because Olave plus the two picks would have been a coup.

Nevertheless the 3rd and the 4th rounder we picked up here should help us add two strong contributors, both of those picks will probably be guys with 2nd round grades thanks to this deep draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I agree. They thought Hamilton, Olave, or Williams would fall to 16. That didn’t happen so they panicked and took Dotson. Getting the extra 3rd and 4th helps, but I’m convinced we could’ve traded down to the 20’s, grabbed an extra pick or two, and still got Dotson.
I think the best way to look at this pick is, they dropped down to 16 knowing full well that Olave, Williams, and Hamilton probably wouldn't be there, and getting 3rd and 4th round picks was more valuable to them than those three players. Who knows (you don't), Dotson may have been graded as high or higher on their board than those three. You drop down to the 20s and you're probably out of 1st round worthy receivers at that point - otherwise GB or KC would have come away with one.

He's not a big guy, a couple inches shorter than Williams and Olave, but gimme a break. He's seven pounds lighter than Williams with better hands and a better knee, he's four pounds lighter than Olave with better hands and as good a route runner, and he's just as fast as both of them.

I know it's easy to hate this team and EVERY decision they make, but quite honestly not everything they do is wrong, disappointing, or reactionary...

In my opinion, this is a Big W on day 1 of the draft.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #51
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think the best way to look at this pick is, they dropped down to 16 knowing full well that Olave, Williams, and Hamilton probably wouldn't be there, and getting 3rd and 4th round picks was more valuable to them than those three players. Who knows (you don't), Dotson may have been graded as high or higher on their board than those three. You drop down to the 20s and you're probably out of 1st round worthy receivers at that point - otherwise GB or KC would have come away with one.

He's not a big guy, a couple inches shorter than Williams and Olave, but gimme a break. He's seven pounds lighter than Williams with better hands and a better knee, he's four pounds lighter than Olave with better hands and as good a route runner, and he's just as fast as both of them.

I know it's easy to hate this team and EVERY decision they make, but quite honestly not everything they do is wrong, disappointing, or reactionary...

You are probably overreacting to my stance, at least the way I phrased it. Can't say about the other person you quoted.

But yeah it's entirely possible Dotson ends up better than those other guys and if so it proves them right. It's certainly not the consensus, hell the kid said himself that he and his agent thought they were going late first early 2nd. Even he thinks he got overdrafted.

As for whether every decision this team makes is wrong or disappointing, sure. I think I'd rather have Dotson plus what a 3 and a 4 can bring us, than whoever they could have drafted at 11.

But at the same time let's not be too kind to this team either. They're 156-212-1 under Snyder. So if we're being honest, most of their decisions haven't been great ones.

It's OK to like this move but not love it. It's a B.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #52
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Maybe I'm overreacting, I don't know. I just find it funny how fans seem to think they know what's going on in the draft room, like they dropped down thinking this guy or that guy would still be available, or they panicked and took the other guy...

I just don't see much difference between Olave, Williams, and Dotson to be honest. They probably had them similarly rated or I don't think they make the trade at all. Olave and Williams were projected to go higher, yes. However, they also had CJ Stroud and Bryce Young throwing to them - the consensus top two QBs for the 2023 draft, not Sean Clifford.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #53
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-james...at-deep-threat

Some analysis of Jameson Williams who may have missed it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #54
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Maybe I'm overreacting, I don't know. I just find it funny how fans seem to think they know what's going on in the draft room, like they dropped down thinking this guy or that guy would still be available, or they panicked and took the other guy...

I just don't see much difference between Olave, Williams, and Dotson to be honest. They probably had them similarly rated or I don't think they make the trade at all. Olave and Williams were projected to go higher, yes. However, they also had CJ Stroud and Bryce Young throwing to them - the consensus top two QBs for the 2023 draft, not Sean Clifford.
That's an extremely fair point and honestly when I heard Ron mention it during an interview it intrigued me for sure. It's the same thing we say about Terry having to play with dreck at QB over the last few years, his numbers would be bigger if he had a better QB throwing to him.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #55
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I think people should be killing the Saints for trading a 3rd, 4th, and #16 overall for Chris Olave. He's a nice receiver, but he definitely wasn't worth that, and could very well have been there at 16.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #56
Bigreds77
Special Teams

I like the pick and also getting a 3rd and 4th round pick
Bigreds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #57
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:

Since you quoted my post; I’ll preface once again. *In my opinion* it’s a good pick, Dotson’s a good player, and I’m glad we added two picks; BUT *In my opinion* He would’ve been available in the 20’s. We’ll agree to disagree.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #58
jamf
Pro Bowl

The pick sucks because he will have bums throwing to him.
Every pick sucks till they get a QB.

I don't care if you draft a Terry McLaurin type player every year, it won't matter till they get a franchise QB.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:21 PM   #59
That Guy
Living Legend

The washington FO is pretty open about draft info/strategy POST draft, so we'll probably get a better idea of who was where on their list etc. That was a really good haul for moving down 5 spots, but you don't really know until you see who gets picked and how well they play (AND just because guy X plays well for the saints doesn't mean he would have done as well here, situation and personality fit can make a huge difference... as well as who's playing QB).

There were a couple other guys I maybe would have liked more at 11, but I think factoring in the trade, they potentially turned 1 starter into 2.5, and the difference between his production and olave (if he were here) may not be very far apart (again, very speculative/hard to tell before anyone has played a down).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:31 PM   #60
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
The pick sucks because he will have bums throwing to him.
Every pick sucks till they get a QB.

I don't care if you draft a Terry McLaurin type player every year, it won't matter till they get a franchise QB.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote