Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Shanahan on upcoming game.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
53Fan
Franchise Player

Shanahan on upcoming game.

Mike Shanahan: 8-27

Sounds like Torrain will play and Kareem Moore will be PUP.

Last edited by 53Fan; 08-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Shanahan on upcoming game.

Torain's probably looking at being 3rd on the depth chart even if he does impress, and idc about Kareem Moore as long as Atogwe is healthy. Also any news on Landry? How long is this hamstring setback supposed to keep him out.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
chrisl13
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Torain's probably looking at being 3rd on the depth chart even if he does impress, and idc about Kareem Moore as long as Atogwe is healthy. Also any news on Landry? How long is this hamstring setback supposed to keep him out.
I just cant see Helu being second on the depth chart ahead of Torain. We all know what Torain can do from seeing him last year. Honestly, him and Hightower will be a wonderful tandem with a little splash of Helu. We have some good, quality depth. I'd like to see the depth chart look like: Hightower, Torain, Helu.

Also, anyone think Gomes would take Horton's back up safety spot or would like to see this? I do.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl13 View Post
I just cant see Helu being second on the depth chart ahead of Torain. We all know what Torain can do from seeing him last year. Honestly, him and Hightower will be a wonderful tandem with a little splash of Helu. We have some good, quality depth. I'd like to see the depth chart look like: Hightower, Torain, Helu.

Also, anyone think Gomes would take Horton's back up safety spot or would like to see this? I do.
I look at it like this. With tandem running backs, you could use two similar guys like a Torain and a Hightower, but it works more effectively if you pair a banger with a burner. In this case it'd be Helu being the burner whereas Hightower is the banger. It doesn't matter where they rank on the depth chart but Helu would be a great change of pace back to Hightower, which is why I think Hightower and Helu will see most of the carries this season, provided they stay healthy. Helu won't see much pt as a pass blocker because that's Hightower's strength. Torain and Hightower have a similar skill set, it's just that Torain is injury prone and Hightower has fumbling problems that hopefully have been corrected lol.

Either way, I'm excited about what we have at running back. It's nice to see us keep up with two back trends in the NFL.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:

Either way, I'm excited about what we have at running back. It's nice to see us keep up with two back trends in the NFL.
Pretty much how I feel. With the o-line making the "Big jump", as Shanahan calls it, from year one to year two in this scheme, I feel we have the backs to make the most of it. It would be nice to have Torrain if Hightower were to go down. Any way you look at it, these guys should make the QB's job a lot easier.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
I look at it like this. With tandem running backs, you could use two similar guys like a Torain and a Hightower, but it works more effectively if you pair a banger with a burner. In this case it'd be Helu being the burner whereas Hightower is the banger. It doesn't matter where they rank on the depth chart but Helu would be a great change of pace back to Hightower, which is why I think Hightower and Helu will see most of the carries this season, provided they stay healthy. Helu won't see much pt as a pass blocker because that's Hightower's strength. Torain and Hightower have a similar skill set, it's just that Torain is injury prone and Hightower has fumbling problems that hopefully have been corrected lol.

Hightower, Torain and Helu are not likely to all be active on game day. I look for Helu and Torain to be up and down the inactive list depending on injury and other areas of need as the season progresses.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Hightower, Torain and Helu are not likely to all be active on game day. I look for Helu and Torain to be up and down the inactive list depending on injury and other areas of need as the season progresses.
Don't they usually have 3 rbs active? Maybe only if the 3rd guy is playing teams? If Torain is active, that makes it more likely 2 others will be, given his history of injuries.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Meh is it really worth it to keep Torain as the third over royster?
I doubt he clears the waivers to the ps. AND i doubt we keep 4 rbs on the active roster. Gonna be a tough choice here.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
chrisl13
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
Meh is it really worth it to keep Torain as the third over royster?
I doubt he clears the waivers to the ps. AND i doubt we keep 4 rbs on the active roster. Gonna be a tough choice here.
I see Torain being kept. You've got to be brainless to keep an unproven late round pick in Royster over him. And he's only played in one preseason game, but has been healthy....
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl13 View Post
I see Torain being kept. You've got to be brainless to keep an unproven late round pick in Royster over him. And he's only played in one preseason game, but has been healthy....
The one thing ive always dug about shanny is his ability to take a late round draft pick tail back and plug him in. Im just saying, I think if you keep torain you run a very high risk of losing a really good football player in royster.
Im all about hightower and helu filling those first two spots, but i dont really see what Torain brings over either one of those guys thats different. Royster at least has some slashing skills
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
53Fan
Franchise Player

Landry's hamstring is still sore mooby. Shanahan would like him to play this game, especially after missing the last half of last year, but says he doesn't HAVE to to start the season.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Landry's hamstring is still sore mooby. Shanahan would like him to play this game, especially after missing the last half of last year, but says he doesn't HAVE to to start the season.
It'd be nice to have him against the Giants, but it'd be even nicer to have him miss a couple games if it meant he was completely healthy for the other 14.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Meks
Pro Bowl

Landry needs to be on the field week one.. if not honestly, Eli may have a field day
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Landry needs to be on the field week one.. if not honestly, Eli may have a field day

I don't think that's true.. Our Strong Safeties do a good bit of covering, but they are really just roamers. Which means they run around and make plays. They are rarely used in the coverage scheme. I think Doughty or Gomes could fill that role untill Landry gets in.

They way our pass rush has looked in the preseason. if it translates to the regular season. Then our secondary will be in great shape
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Shanahan didn't come out and say it but he's strongly intimating that Hightower is the starter Week 1 .. big surprise

Tim Hightower ascends to Washington Redskins' starting RB role - ESPN

I apologize in advance if someone has already posted it but I didn't see it anywhere

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote