Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Case Keenum to the Skins

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Case Keenum traded to the Skins, your thoughts?
I love it 5 9.26%
I like it 25 46.30%
Meh 17 31.48%
Snore 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #61
MTK
\m/

Re: Case Keenum to the Skins

Skins could still trade for Rosen, I don't think Keenum comes into play with a potential deal at all.

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #62
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Nobody thinks Rosen is a "sure thing". But his ceiling is a hell of a lot higher than journeymen like Colt or Case.
Talking in facts and not in wishful player ceilings:
We got Case for cheap and he will be a stop gap QB, that is all. This is a small addition with no major subtraction to the Redskins. Even Case's salary is ok.
Case is better than Colt and JJ. For fucking sure.

At this point in Rosen's young and inexperienced career, Case has more of an ability to play now in the NFL and at a higher level than Rosen while Rosen acclimates. Stop gap.
In the past Case has thrived when working with a good offensive coordinator/Qb's coach. Gruden is supposed to be a good offensive coach.
I am not saying Case will suddenly be an All Star under Gruden, but there is a history of upside to Case's play when working with good coaching and a good offensive line and running game in front of him.
Having said that I still believe Case is nothing but a stop gap QB with experience a little bit of upside compared to Colt and JJ.

Last edited by Defensewins; 03-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #63
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Help me understand how this makes sense? If the Cards wanted Keenum, why not just trade with Denver for him? Why use Washington as a middle man? Keenum is in the final year of his contract, so it is a one year deal regardless.

Why trade Rosen whose salary is strictly enforced by the rookie salary pool, to only absorb a veteran contract?

Keenums 2019 salary is $3.5m. Rosen is $570k.

Sorry, but a trade to Arizona by way of Washington does not add up.
Maybe AZ didn't want to give up picks, skins could deal Case and our 4 for Rosen
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #64
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Way I see it there are only 2 scenarios here.

1) Keenum is trade bait for AZ if they do want to ship Rosen and get a QB they trust in Keenum. If AZ were leaving us hanging on a respectable deal for Rosen then it makes sense to call their bluff, but with a relatively cheap option. Keenum doesn't have a downside in this scenario.
2) Keenum is going into camp as a straight battler for #1 with McCoy, and we either draft a reasonably high round QB (2 or 3) or we go lower for a cheap rookie that could sit behind whoever wins the battle. I can't see us doing this deal and then using up our #1 on a QB, especially with our need on the OL. I say they will trade picks to get an extra 2nd and maybe 3rd, then go OL, OL, QB then the rest. If the rookie shows potential we cut Keenum/McCoy free next offseason and if (and big if) Smith comes back, the rookie has a year under him. If the rookie doesn't cut it, we go QB 1st round next year. Keenum doesn't come off that good a deal in this scenario (I'd have gone with McCoy and risked tanking myself) but he's still pretty cheap and should be a serviceable starter for 1 season. I honestly think in a straight battle McCoy is out the door.

And I agree with the point that Keenum is not a turnover machine. That is key if you want him in as a 'bridge' QB. It's not a great deal, but its far from a bad one.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #65
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Maybe AZ didn't want to give up picks, skins could deal Case and our 4 for Rosen
Skins do not have a 4th round pick. You have 5 total draft picks this year. Rounds 1,2,3,5 & 7.

What is everyones infatuation with twisting the Keenum trade into a deal for Rosen? In the highly unlikely event that Washington trade Keenum to AZ for Rosen, that means the Redskins would have made 3 major trades for the QB position in 2 years. That would have to be some kind of record.

Looks to be that you've acquired Keenum on a 1 year rental and his cap number almost matches McCoy. Very low at $3.5m. You draft a QB in this draft, and because of the rookie salary pool working in your favor, you can afford to carry 3 QBs on the roster, absorb the cap hit of Alex Smith ($20m) and still have some working room to sign a free agent or two. 3m for Colt, 3.5m for Case and about 570k for a rookie. Add that to Alex Smiths hit, it totals to 27m wrapped up in the QB position. I do not think you could improve that. Rogers & Carr make that alone in one season.

The other option is to 'flop from Fromm', who is predicted to be the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #66
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Skins do not have a 4th round pick. You have 5 total draft picks this year. Rounds 1,2,3,5 & 7.

What is everyones infatuation with twisting the Keenum trade into a deal for Rosen? In the highly unlikely event that Washington trade Keenum to AZ for Rosen, that means the Redskins would have made 3 major trades for the QB position in 2 years. That would have to be some kind of record.

Looks to be that you've acquired Keenum on a 1 year rental and his cap number almost matches McCoy. Very low at $3.5m. You draft a QB in this draft, and because of the rookie salary pool working in your favor, you can afford to carry 3 QBs on the roster, absorb the cap hit of Alex Smith ($20m)and still have some working room to sign a free agent or two.

The other option is to 'flop from Fromm', who is predicted to be the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft.
No, total of 9 picks

Old 03-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #67
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

A bit surprised i'm the only person who loves this move.

- After last season, we know we need to carry 3 active QBs in the season and currently we only have colt.
- We didn't give up anything of consequence for Keenum
- His 3.5MM cap his is honestly CHEAP for a veteran of his ability. For comparison, Bridgewater, another veteran many have suggested could have come her, made 6M to be a backup last year. Keenum is comparable, if not better than Bridgewater
- He is very Colt-esque in ability in playing style, so in the scenario one is the starter and the other is the backup, there would not be much drop-off in talent.
- IF the season goes south, we're likely cleaning house. we have no commitment in 2020 to Colt or Keenum. So its not like we are saddling the 2020 coach with Keenum's contract
- IF the season goes well, and Keenum is part of that, it means he's played well and we are in good position to retain him
- Keenum doesn't negatively impact our ability to trade for rosen or draft a QB early this year.
- His being on the roster means we don't need to feel pressured to trade more than we want for rosen or draft a QB higher than we need to. In the worst case scenario in which we aren't able to do either, we have two comparable and capable, if not exciting, starters. If we haven't made big moves for another QB, then it means we've used that draft capital and salary cap space to build a solid team around them.

Any way i look at it, Keenum is an all around WIN for this team and i LOVE the move. So for those who voted differently in the poll, please tell me what i'm missing.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #68
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:

Looks to be that you've acquired Keenum on a 1 year rental and his cap number almost matches McCoy. Very low at $3.5m. You draft a QB in this draft, and because of the rookie salary pool working in your favor, you can afford to carry 3 QBs on the roster, absorb the cap hit of Alex Smith ($20m) and still have some working room to sign a free agent or two. 3m for Colt, 3.5m for Case and about 570k for a rookie. Add that to Alex Smiths hit, it totals to 27m wrapped up in the QB position. I do not think you could improve that. Rogers & Carr make that alone in one season.

We have nine picks (although you are correct about no fourth rounder): https://www.redskins.com/news/redski...-in-2019-draft

Also, as opposed to "flop for Fromm", I also think "tuck tail for Tua" is going to be a popular option.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #69
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I don't see a trade for Rosen now. I see Keenum as the starter to open the season until they decide whatever rookie we draft is ready to play.

Give me Lock in the 1st or Finley/Rypien/Grier in the 3rd or later.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #70
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't see a trade for Rosen now. I see Keenum as the starter to open the season until they decide whatever rookie we draft is ready to play.

I think Colt still has the leg up on starting based on his experience in the offense.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Talking in facts and not in wishful player ceilings:
We got Case for cheap and he will be a stop gap QB, that is all. This is a small addition with no major subtraction to the Redskins. Even Case's salary is ok.
Case is better than Colt and JJ. For fucking sure.

At this point in Rosen's young and inexperienced career, Case has more of an ability to play now in the NFL and at a higher level than Rosen while Rosen acclimates. Stop gap.
In the past Case has thrived when working with a good offensive coordinator/Qb's coach. Gruden is supposed to be a good offensive coach.
I am not saying Case will suddenly be an All Star under Gruden, but there is a history of upside to Case's play when working with good coaching and a good offensive line and running game in front of him.
Having said that I still believe Case is nothing but a stop gap QB with experience a little bit of upside compared to Colt and JJ.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying but wouldn't it be nice to have a young arm in the mix too like Rosen or a draft pick?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #72
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'd take Grier in the 3rd but he's Case 2.0, literally almost identical playing styles and size.

The only way I see us not getting Rosen is if another team (Miami or NYG) Has offered a 1st, and I don't see that happening.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #73
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

I doubt Lock makes it out of the top 5 (due to trades) and he certainly won't make it past Denver at 10. Are you suggesting we trade up to get him?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #74
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I doubt Lock makes it out of the top 5 (due to trades) and he certainly won't make it past Denver at 10. Are you suggesting we trade up to get him?
I'm not sure Lock is a top 5 pick, Murray , Haskins and Jones could all go before him. Either way I would not trade up for any QB in this class outside of Murray
Old 03-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #75
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think Colt still has the leg up on starting based on his experience in the offense.
Yeah. He definitely could be the starter. Just replace Keenum with Colt and the rest of my statement would stay the same. Think we have 3 QBs on the roster this year.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote