Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-10-2019, 02:25 AM   #106
calia
Playmaker

Re: How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
The Redskins let BOTH Garçon AND DeSean go after the 2017 season. Two 1000 yard WR out the door. It was a Bruce Allen decision not try to keep either one!! Last year we also let Crowder go. Another 1000 yd WR out the door.

Who did we keep? Doctson- who never even had a single 100 yd game ever. P. Richardson was given a big contract- yet has NEVER had a 1000 yd season in six years of playing. Last year he had just 262 yds for us. Jordan Reed, who is awesome when he plays, but never finishes a season. Last year, we were 28th in the NFL in passing. That’s what happens when you let your best WR players go.

DeSean came to Washington because Chip Kelly is an idiot. DJax was a gift from the NFL gods. He played very well, was good in the locker room, punished the Eagles every game he played them, stayed healthy, and stretched the opposite defense with his speed. Yet we let him walk.

Yesterday, DeSean he beat us two ways: FIRST - he calmed the Eagles in the locker room and told the team that the Redskins would fold in the second half - because he knew Gruden. The Eagles walked onto the field confident from Jackson’s prediction. Second: he beat us on the field.

Meanwhile, the guy we decided to hire INSTEAD of paying DJax, Paul Richardson dropped critical passes in the second half. Our supposed #1 WR and DeSean’s replacement had just 36 yds yesterday.

Don’t blame DeSean because he roasted us yesterday. He could still be playing here, if we’d paid him. And he would have been toasting the Eagles alongside McLaurin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That about suns it up. Yep.

Advertisements
Old 09-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #107
Burgold
Special Teams

After we lose to the Giants with Eli passing for over[300yds]then it will be time for Gruden to go!!!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #108
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

How Long Will Jay Gruden Last This Season as Head Coach?

Quote:
The Redskins let BOTH Garçon AND DeSean go after the 2017 season. Two 1000 yard WR out the door. It was a Bruce Allen decision not try to keep either one!! Last year we also let Crowder go. Another 1000 yd WR out the door.

Who did we keep? Doctson- who never even had a single 100 yd game ever. P. Richardson was given a big contract- yet has NEVER had a single 1000 yd season during his six years in the NFL. Last year he had just 262 yds for us. Jordan Reed, who is awesome when he plays, but never finishes a season. Last year, we were 28th in the NFL in passing. That’s what happens when you let your best WR players go.

DeSean came to Washington because Chip Kelly is an idiot. DJax was a gift from the NFL gods. He played very well, was good in the locker room, punished the Eagles every game he played them, stayed healthy, and stretched the opposite defense with his speed. Yet we let him walk.

Yesterday, DeSean he beat us two ways: FIRST - he calmed the Eagles in the locker room and told the team that the Redskins would fold in the second half - because he knew Gruden. The Eagles walked onto the field confident from Jackson’s prediction. Second: he beat us on the field.

Meanwhile, the guy we decided to hire INSTEAD of paying DJax, Paul Richardson dropped critical passes in the second half. Our supposed #1 WR and DeSean’s replacement had just 36 yds yesterday.

Don’t blame DeSean because he roasted us yesterday. He could still be playing here, if we’d paid him. And he would have been toasting the Eagles alongside McLaurin.

Then the decision to sit the greatest RB of this decade, the strongest offensive weapon they had last year, Hours before kick off, against a division rival, on the road in hostile territory, with a quarterback taking his first real game snaps in this system and would need a run game badly..........for an unproven running back, taking his first real game snaps, coming back from injury, and a “special teams” player signed earlier in the week named Smallwood.....

Tell me, how many yards did Guice have? What did Smallwood do to help? How many breaks did our defense get in the second half?

Another HORRIBLE decision by our head coach that had DISASTROUS consequences. You pay a head coach to make good decisions in preparing for games, getting the players preparing, setting the team up for success and making good decisions on the fly during games. Gruden has failed miserably in each of those areas. Why are they still paying him, and why does he still have a job?????

5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #109
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd like to have seen us on Hard Knocks this year. Interesting to get an inside look at what's going on in the building and what's going through Gruden's mind. Probably not a lot...

I agree the decision to bench AP under the circumstances was dumb. Even with all the confidence in Guice, Smallwood and Thompson are so similar, the benefit in having 2 hard runners over 2 3rd down backs should be obvious.

I'm not a fire the coach kind of guy, but sometimes enough is enough.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #110
jamf
Pro Bowl

If you guys want to get technical they brought in Terrell Pryor before Prich.
Jackson is a big lose but so is losing Garçon as a possession receiver. The team hasn’t run a slant pass since he left.
You need a guy on 3rd and medium/short who is going to win every time and that was garçon.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #111
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bruce did make a strong push to resign DJax but fell a little short. Garçon was done tho.

I actually think it was the right move at the time to move on from both. D Jax is widely considered a free agent bust with the Bucs. The biggest thing DJax brings to the field is the big play threat, but he is largely boom or bust production-wise.

That being said, the skins should have prepared much better for his presence on the field, because the eagles only won because of his 2 huge plays

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #112
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Bruce did make a strong push to resign DJax but fell a little short. Garçon was done tho.

I actually think it was the right move at the time to move on from both. D Jax is widely considered a free agent bust with the Bucs. The biggest thing DJax brings to the field is the big play threat, but he is largely boom or bust production-wise.

That being said, the skins should have prepared much better for his presence on the field, because the eagles only won because of his 2 huge plays
Also Garcon tailed off quite a bit when he went to SF.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #113
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Boom or bust in fantasy world maybe, but he still gets the respect of the safeties and stretches the field just by being on it...
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #114
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

Who did we keep? Doctson- who never even had a single 100 yd game ever. P. Richardson was given a big contract- yet has NEVER had a single 1000 yd season during his six years in the NFL. Last year he had just 262 yds for us. Jordan Reed, who is awesome when he plays, but never finishes a season. Last year, we were 28th in the NFL in passing. That’s what happens when you let your best WR players go.

I get what you're saying but Jamison Crowder never had 1,000 yards receiving in a season.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #115
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

This has been making the rounds on Facebook and I'd like to verify the authenticity of it but a quick Google search hasn't helped. I feel like it's trying to correlate winning percentage when leading at halftime but I don't have the time to articulate the numbers game-by-game. Losing after leading big at the half (let's say 10 points in the Jay Gruden era) definitely seems like a trend for Gruden though.

I also believe D.Jax when he says the Redskins lack killer instinct. And that reflects on Jay Gruden too. It's one reason why I'm in favor of moving on unless we somehow make the playoffs this year.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #116
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

This has been making the rounds on Facebook and I'd like to verify the authenticity of it but a quick Google search hasn't helped. I feel like it's trying to correlate winning percentage when leading at halftime but I don't have the time to articulate the numbers game-by-game. Losing after leading big at the half (let's say 10 points in the Jay Gruden era) definitely seems like a trend for Gruden though.

I also believe D.Jax when he says the Redskins lack killer instinct. And that reflects on Jay Gruden too. It's one reason why I'm in favor of moving on unless we somehow make the playoffs this year.
Czaban mentioned this chart on his show the other day. The discussion stemmed from an email he received from someone.

No idea if it's accurate but would assume Scott or Steve would have corrected him if it was off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #117
Warthog
The Starter

Gruden seems to be the “anti-Gibbs”. His teams, shown in this chart, do worse in the second half

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #118
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I get what you're saying but Jamison Crowder never had 1,000 yards receiving in a season.

You’re right. My bad. Crowder has been replaced by Quinn / Harmon / Stephen Sims / Robert Davis. Probably Quinn at #3. McLaurin will be our #1 WR for the next decade

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #119
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

My understanding it is just all about points scored regardless of if you lead at the half. So under Gruden the Redskins win the game 43% of the time while outscoring the opponent only 33% of the time in the second half.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #120
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5superbowls3wins View Post
Then the decision to sit the greatest RB of this decade,

Another HORRIBLE decision by our head coach that had DISASTROUS consequences. You pay a head coach to make good decisions in preparing for games, getting the players preparing, setting the team up for success and making good decisions on the fly during games. Gruden has failed miserably in each of those areas. Why are they still paying him, and why does he still have a job?????

Ill bite since I am somewhat of a Gruden fan, I think he would be an above average OC but not cut out for a HC. I think he deserves better than the Skins. He was never allowed to pick his assistants and has had very little to no input .. but it was nice for Doug Williams to give him a cursory call, after the fact, to let him know they were trading and backing up the Brinks truck for Alex Smith.

Guice - I think Jay likes Guice over AP. The future is Guice (maybe). But I did expect a 50/50 split in week 1 and I guess I dont value ST as much as Jay but typically you do want your 3rd back to play ST. We have Guice, CT and AP ... I would have dressed AP but a dressed AP doesnt win us or change the result of the Eagles game ino.

"You pay a head coach to make good decisions in preparing for games, getting the players preparing, setting the team up for success and making good decisions on the fly during games." -- Does he get any credit for having the team UP 17-0 early in the 2nd quarter? 20-7 at the half? Getting Case Keenum in a system to rack up 380 yds passing?

I only judge Jay for what the offense does bc he is basically just an OC with no roster or assistants input. I dont even think he has ultimate input on the run game as Callahan seems to be the main voice there.

Jay is a good OC, a competent offensive mind on a team and FO with very few competent people on the payroll.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote