Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our New Head Coach - Dan Quinn

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your initial reaction to the Dan Quinn hire?
Love it 5 9.62%
Need to see who the coordinators are 27 51.92%
Hate it 9 17.31%
Indifferent 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #31
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Our New Head Coach - Dan Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I had to step away from Reddit because people are in meltdown mode and already calling next season a wash.

I feel like we did put all our eggs in the basket with Johnson and then were screwed when he decided to stay. I’m not thrilled with Quinn but I’m willing to wait to see who our OC and DC are going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the fans put all their eggs on the Ben Johnson basket and decided that he was the only coach they would hire.

I also think it is funny that Andy Reid will be coaching in his fifth Super Bowl next week, and he's a "retread" that was hired 10 years ago when he was in his 50s.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-01-2024, 12:26 PM   #32
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Its done, move on. Out of interest, what scheme did Dallas play on D? This may keep J.Allen engaged in staying for a fast turnaround. Looks like the OC may come from SF and the DC from Dallas.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:26 PM   #33
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think the fans put all their eggs on the Ben Johnson basket and decided that he was the only coach they would hire.

I also think it is funny that Andy Reid will be coaching in his fifth Super Bowl next week, and he's a "retread" that was hired 10 years ago when he was in his 50s.

I think the media was also edging us with all the Johnson talk. Granted no legitimate reporter was saying it was a done deal but they were saying Johnson was far and away the frontrunner for the position.

Also I think fans are just traumatized with coaches over the years. The surrounding staff and the players are more important than the HC to me. He calls the shots but everyone else is crucial to player development and schemes.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #34
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
This ownership has been tightlipped about what they are thinking and what they were planning to do. Keim has been saying in every single episode of his podcast that Johnson wasn't a done deal, that no one knew for sure whether he was actually the top candidate for this group, and that people outside of the team were saying that he was the favorite.

A lot of people in the NFL put Johnson as the favorite for every team, so are you saying that every team that hired someone else settled for their coach?

I am simply saying that if I had to wager whether Peters wanted BJ or Quinn and I had a chance to actually ask him I know where Id put my money.

Again I am not irate or in meltdown mode as reddit apparently is as per Rave, I am willing to give Quinn a chance. I am happy we have a GM in charge of personnel first and foremost and let’s see how Quinn fills out his staff. We got 9 picks , 6 of which are top 100 and a boatload of cap space. I am more amped than I have been in years.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

Ben Johnson didn’t want to be a head coach, he’s choosing to stay in his current job as OC. That’s on him, not us.

MacDonald went with Seattle, can anyone blame him? They’ve been a well run franchise for years now and are in a much better position to win now. They also have a rocking stadium and fan base and gorgeous facilities. They also gave him a 6 year deal, perhaps that was more than we were willing to offer. Back up and look big picture, Seattle is a great job.

In the end you can’t always get what you want. Often in life you’re forced into other options and it’s totally out of your control but you make it work anyway.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:31 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-lb-...you-never-know
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:34 PM   #37
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

It will take a lot from Dairy Queen to erase the memory of the 28-3 meltdown in his lone SB appearance. Ugh. Hope it’s better this time around. Just disappointing but not much to choose from.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #38
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I'm indifferent. Don't hate it, don't love it. Would have rather not had a retread but I get why they hired him. He's got HC experience and knows how to run a team. Time to move forward.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #39
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Ben Johnson didn’t want to be a head coach, he’s choosing to stay in his current job as OC. That’s on him, not us.

MacDonald went with Seattle, can anyone blame him? They’ve been a well run franchise for years now and are in a much better position to win now. They also have a rocking stadium and fan base and gorgeous facilities. They also gave him a 6 year deal, perhaps that was more than we were willing to offer. Back up and look big picture, Seattle is a great job.

In the end you can’t always get what you want. Often in life you’re forced into other options and it’s totally out of your control but you make it work anyway.
you still have the right to be disappointed
Old 02-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

That SB w/ the Falcons was one of the worst choke jobs I have ever seen. But at least he got a team there.

The last time we saw his defense they were getting their shit pushed in by Green Bay.

This is such a yawn hire. But do I think this is an upgrade from Ron? Idk. Probably. He'll have less to deal with and can just focus on the team. Let's see who he hires as an OC.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:51 PM   #41
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Since Quinn took over the defense, the Cowboys rank fifth in points per game allowed and first in takeaways (93). This season the Cowboys are one of the best pass defenses in the league, ranking top-10 in yards allowed (fifth), touchdowns (10th), and interceptions (eighth)

For the last 2 years Dallas was fun as hell to watch on defense, high flying , hard hitting and creating TO's.

That has not happened in DC in years...

No we do not have Parsons or Diggs but Quinn will load up on defense in FA I bet.

Remember we have 74M and a ton of high picks.
You could say the only weak spot he had on his defense in dallass was his linebackers, and that's obviously been a huge weakness for Washington...so let's see if HE will finally upgrade this position here.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:52 PM   #42
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

On its' face not a great cause for optimism - IIRC 28-3 wasn't the only time those Falcons teams blew big leads under Dan Quinn.

He's walking into a much worse situation here than with the Falcons too - he already had a prime Matt Ryan when he took that job.

As others have said it really depends how he fills out his coaching staff. If they emphasize he's needed more for his leadership roles and he gets a couple young stud coordinators to call plays I'd be happy. But as of now it's wait and see - this looks like they went to their fall-back choice because BJ turned them down.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:53 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

@JPFinlayNBCS
Text from AFC Coach after Rivera was fired: "Quinn is THE best head coach candidate out there. Will not find a more authentic leader of men with a battle plan for victory. Period...Leader, organized, vision, communicator, ball coach."
Old 02-01-2024, 01:13 PM   #44
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Dan Quinn in Dallas = NUMBER 1 DEFENSE during his tenure..

No hes not a flashy young OC but Lets wait and see what he can do and who he hires as OC.

And their defense was dreadful when he took over - 31st to 16th in his first year and top 5 thereafter. Let’s give the man a chance and Peters too.

I was intrigued by Johnson but the guy was an OC for all of one season. No coach hire is a slam dunk; they all involve some risk.

I agree that the coordinator decisions and the draft are now key. And free agency where we have some coin. This team may look way different come training camp (and should). We may also have guys like Fuller and Kurl more interested in staying with a respected defensive coach.

I’m ok with this. Wanted Macdonald as my top choice, but so be it.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #45
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWzVuxdygg