Josh Smith anyone?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: Washington Wizards 2011-2012 Ongoing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Josh Smith anyone?
Hell naw... while I love his athleticism and blocking ability, the city of Atlanta's collective gasp before he chucked a long ball tells me no way.

Crossing my fingers that Kanter slips to 6, somehow. I'm on the fence about Vesely- haven't seen enough of him to say either way. The wild card is Jonas Valanciunas, who may not play for a year (but may be the best center prospect in the draft).

I still like Biyombo as a raw, defensive presence... he's projected anywhere from 5 to 19, so hopefully we could steal him at 18.

my blather
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Hell naw... while I love his athleticism and blocking ability, the city of Atlanta's collective gasp before he chucked a long ball tells me no way.

Crossing my fingers that Kanter slips to 6, somehow. I'm on the fence about Vesely- haven't seen enough of him to say either way. The wild card is Jonas Valanciunas, who may not play for a year (but may be the best center prospect in the draft).

I still like Biyombo as a raw, defensive presence... he's projected anywhere from 5 to 19, so hopefully we could steal him at 18.
Thoughts on the 6th and 18th to 3rd for Kanter rumor?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

They seem to really like Jordan Hamilton at 8 if he's there and they stay at 16
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He's a third pick? Stay with what they got and go big at 6th and SF at 18 or SF with both picks.

He Gets Us
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
He's a third pick? Stay with what they got and go big at 6th and SF at 18 or SF with both picks.
Agreed. Right now I just can't see that Kanter is worth moving up for. I know a lot of people are intrigued by his potential but I'm not prepared to take that risk
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
I'd do it with the understanding that we may be losing out on a solid role player at 18 (Faried/will grit my teeth if Biyombo drops to that spot). But I'm of the belief that in the NBA, the team that comes out with the best player usually ends up the winner. I've been sold on Kanter for a while now and I'll be happy if we come out of the draft with him.

And I don't see a reason why EG won't try to trade back into the first round if we lose the 18. If we are interested in trading, I say wait until Thursday night to see what shakes out early. Kanter may even drop to 6, depending on what happens with the point guards and Toronto's interest in Vesely.

my blather
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
itvnetop
Playmaker

I'm scared to death of drafting Vesely, however... from what I've read, the dude shoots 44% from the line (where his strength will be getting to the rim) and can't rebound for a man his size. The only video I've seen of him is full of dunks. He may be able to run with Wall, but it just sounds too much like Yi. However, Yi didn't win Euro player of the year...

my blather
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Longtimefan
Playmaker

DS hope you're somewhere listening.....

So don’t worry, I won’t be making the picks. I know that will allay many folks that have concerns about owners that meddle although I do think it is the height of irony to admit I can’t make the picks but to see so many comments from fans on which we should pick.

Ted Leonsis won’t provide input on Wizards’ picks - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post
Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I don't know. On one hand it stops teams like the Lakers from fielding a $90 million payroll, and teams get to keep star players when they're "over the cap", but on the other hand it doesn't do anything to stop small market exodus which has gotten out of hand.
After offering a $45 million hard cap the past few months — an offer steadfastly rejected by the Players Association — Stern called the league’s new proposal a “flex cap’’ that would set a median salary cap at $62 million and eliminate the large disparity in spending among teams.

Quote:
This past season, the Los Angeles Lakers had the league’s highest payroll at $91 million, while the Sacramento Kings spent a league-low $44 million. The owners want to implement an “NHL-type’’ system, according to deputy commissioner Adam Silver, one that would allow teams to exceed the $62 million cap but would also place the financial onus on the players if the average payroll of all 30 teams exceeded $62 million.
And of course Chris Paul is against it. "Man I have to join Carmelo and Amare in New York. How the hell can they afford me with this FLEX CAP? Man makes me want to chase my brother around with a knife again like when we were kids."

Joke Reference:
Quote:
7:54 – New Orleans happily grabs Chris Paul with the fourth pick, partly because he's the best player in the draft, partly because he's one of four people in this draft who could handle playing in New Orleans. "He will be the mayor of New Orleans!" Vitale screams. "Trust me! He will be the king of New Orleans!" Translation: He's going to hand out more beads than assists.

Meanwhile, Paul's brother CJ fondly remembers all the fights they had when they were kids – including the time Chris pulled a knife on him – adding, "it was all out of love, it was all out of love." Gotcha. CJ also reveals that he's going to live with Chris and serve as his manager and personal assistant. I can't believe he was available.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I'm scared to death of drafting Vesely, however... from what I've read, the dude shoots 44% from the line (where his strength will be getting to the rim) and can't rebound for a man his size. The only video I've seen of him is full of dunks. He may be able to run with Wall, but it just sounds too much like Yi. However, Yi didn't win Euro player of the year...
Im generally scared to death any foreign player. The game is very different over there. Too me Vesely is a horrible pick at 6th, then again I really dont see a "safe" pick at 6th, everyone has a question mark. Our second pick in the first I would easily stand behind Chris Singleton outta FSU, defensive standout.

He Gets Us
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Any chance Jimmer Fredette falls to the Bullets because he's white?

He and Wall would be a great duo.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Im generally scared to death any foreign player. The game is very different over there. Too me Vesely is a horrible pick at 6th, then again I really dont see a "safe" pick at 6th, everyone has a question mark. Our second pick in the first I would easily stand behind Chris Singleton outta FSU, defensive standout.
What about Leonard at 6?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
What about Leonard at 6?
I like what I read, never seen the kid play. Heard defensively strong with great size, smart, goes to the basket well. Heard has a hard time catching and shooting and cant hit NBA 3 consistantly which at the SF position he will have to do eventually. I like his potential, but really unsure. I hate to be that guy, but if brendon knight is there at 6 we should give a long look.

He Gets Us
Closed Thread