Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

This came from yesterday, so things like Suisham are already known.

• You have to be able to count on your kicker, you don't know if you're going to get the TD running or passing so you have to count on the FG scoring points.. "If he can't make the kick, then the problem is, you need to get another kicker.."
  • Big game for DT, thinks that DT is recognizing his potential, needs to continue working hard so that he can play smarter, same with Davis
  • Jason is trusting that the 3 young pass catchers should be where they're supposed to and be able to catch it
  • Replacing Sellers in the gameplan may not be an issue, Jonathan Evans isn't ready, instead of just putting someone out there, maybe just a singleback/3 wr type set will give us a better chance to win, we have Yoder and Larenzo to do TE type duties
  • Line did a good job last week and they should do the same this week
  • Good possibility to start Ganther -- Who the better run is should get it, Ganther finishes runs off a bit better, it's about what he's doing, not about what Rock isn't and that you've got to do what will give the team the best chance to win. (I've seen the quote "It isn't about what Rock wants" thrown around a bit, it was in response to the question about Rock having been here for awhile and finally getting the chance). Quinton may get the 10-13 runs and Rock get the 8 or so rather than the other way around
This is coming from the Sherman Smith sitdown with KJ part 2 in the video center playlist.

CSN Washington: Washington Redskins - Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell, Chris Cooley
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
perez24
Camp Scrub

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

I wish Cartwright had had a better game but Ganther looked good out there.

Why doesn't Yoder play more?
perez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Ganther likely to start vs Oakland and other notes from Sherm Smith interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez24 View Post
I wish Cartwright had had a better game but Ganther looked good out there.

Why doesn't Yoder play more?
Not doing a lot with 2 TE sets right now. We may see him more though for blocking coming up.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Cartwright just hasn't had the chance in the time he's been here....If he got the chance more often i guarantee he'd up his game.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

A need position at this point with both Portis and Betts on IR. Ganther getting more touches will also enable us to see if we have anything there future wise. He played well with limited chances against NO.

The Rock is always going to be solid, but with limitations. I expect Ganther, Rock and Mason to continue sharing the load as they did on Sunday.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

That being said, i wonder if the skins will use a draft pick on a RB, or will they just go the way of trying to fill holes through free agency...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Ganther has been a pleasant surprise. I think there's a comfort level he and Smith have with each other from their Titans' days. No matter who starts, Ganther and Rock will essentially split about 20 carries right down the middle I think. The one guy who has fallen behind is Mason. He's still struggling in pass protection and he doesn't hit the hole as hard as the other two.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
dmek25
MVP

there were a lot of people on this board that had a man crush on Mason during the pre season. he looks lost out there. where are all of you phonies now?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Ganther has been a pleasant surprise. I think there's a comfort level he and Smith have with each other from their Titans' days. No matter who starts, Ganther and Rock will essentially split about 20 carries right down the middle I think. The one guy who has fallen behind is Mason. He's still struggling in pass protection and he doesn't hit the hole as hard as the other two.
yeah he looks obviously behind, i was never sure on him, but rooted for him as a local guy. gotta wonder if he had been here this whole time what kind of progress he might have made.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Even if Ganther starts, I expect Cartwright to get more touches. He was very good vs. the Saints too.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Even if Ganther starts, I expect Cartwright to get more touches. He was very good vs. the Saints too.

I agree as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
there were a lot of people on this board that had a man crush on Mason during the pre season. he looks lost out there. where are all of you phonies now?
Hindsight through a telescope eh? He looked good in the preseason, who knows what it is? I don't know what Ganther was doing in his off time nor Mason.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
It's possible, but if Smith is calling the running plays he may get that call. Does Smith pick personnel packages too or just the play from within?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
It's possible, but if Smith is calling the running plays he may get that call. Does Smith pick personnel packages too or just the play from within?
Just the plays as I recall. Though I'm sure he's part of the discussion when deciding the personnel packages
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Just the plays as I recall. Though I'm sure he's part of the discussion when deciding the personnel packages
Alright thanks; sounds about right as that'd be a bit too much going on if he was changing packages too.