Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #61
30gut
Playmaker

Re: With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
No problem. Let's see, I'll give you CB Marion Humphrey in the first, DT Caleb Brantley in the second, and OLB Trey Hendrickson in the third.
Caleb Brantley and Marlon Humphrey wouldn't be my first choices at DT or CB but those are good selections. I don't know anything about Trey Hendrickson but I was targeting tarell Basham Jordan Willis Tim Williams Ryan Anderson daeshon Hall TJ Watt the guy with the really long name was really tall players like that
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #62
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I don't get the hype with McCaffrey. If he falls to us why would we take him? We already have a pretty good player that plays the 3rd down spot in Thompson. I don't see McCaffrey coming in and being better than him. Plus he's not an every down player. Your first round pick can not be a role player. To me he's a mid rounder, maybe in the 4th round. But no way is he a first round player.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #63
Irrefutable
The Starter

This arrogant attitude is why the Redskins will need 10 years to rebuild .

I'm gonna take the best player available, and if that serves your needs, that's a bonus" #Redskins Scott Campbell. Sorry @funnydanny

How did the BPA Josh Doctson workout ? even if he was healthy he was not going to play much..... the future is now, they cannot afford to use high picks on positions with depth.....unfortunately, they need help at almost every position

Last edited by Irrefutable; 04-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #64
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post

I'm gonna take the best player available, and if that serves your needs, that's a bonus" #Redskins Scott Campbell. Sorry @funnydanny

How did the BPA Josh Doctson workout ? even if he was healthy he was not going to play much..... the future is now, they cannot afford to use high picks on positions with depth.....unfortunately, they need help at almost every position
For the people who dislike the Docston pick, let's revisit this after the season ends.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #65
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
For the people who dislike the Docston pick, let's revisit this after the season ends.
Doctson could be a superstar, however he was not going to help in 2016. The slow building through the draft is not working. How did the BPA help them last year ? They needed defensive help in 2016 and got almost none.

corrected 2016

Last edited by Irrefutable; 04-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #66
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Doctson could be a superstar, however he was not going to help in 2017. The slow building through the draft is not working. How did the BPA help them last year ? They needed defensive help in 2016 and got almost none.
If you think someone is a top 10 player and he's available at your pick in the 20s you take him. And he would have played last year if healthy, especially in the red zone.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #67
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Actually I'm kinda relieved becuase I think the impact of McC has had a lasting impression on Scott Campbell. Followed his board in free agency and now this statement...give him the gm.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #68
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Doctson could be a superstar, however he was not going to help in 2017. The slow building through the draft is not working. How did the BPA help them last year ? They needed defensive help in 2016 and got almost none.
If he becomes a superstar then the pick was well worth the wait and he will help in 2017.

Also it is working becuase the team is no longer a bottom feeder, like in 13 and 14. There are several drafted players tbat are contributing.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #69
FlyerSkin

Have to give Doctson at least one more year before the moans saying bust come out, but to be honest I think they should draft a WR in the mid to late rounds. I am wondering if the kid from Northwestern will be around then. He might be worth a shot as he was the best in the Big Ten.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #70
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSkin View Post
Have to give Doctson at least one more year before the moans saying bust come out, but to be honest I think they should draft a WR in the mid to late rounds. I am wondering if the kid from Northwestern will be around then. He might be worth a shot as he was the best in the Big Ten.
WR and CB seem to be deep in mid round talent. I'd be surprised if we don't draft at least one of each.

As far as Doctson, we'll see how he pans out, but drafting him in the first would have been a strong pick if he had played last year. So what if he wouldn't have been at a position of need? It was clearly going to become a position of need in one season given the age and contract status of our top 2 WRs. It would have worked well to have him get some experience before becoming the number 1 or 2 WR. It didn't work out that way, obviously. That said, if you're sitting in the middle of the first, all the top tier talent at a position of need is gone, no one is willing to trade back, and you have a player on the board that you believe is a top 10 talent that may have an injury risk, it's probably not a bad plan to pick them because even if they need a season to get healthy they can still be a star player for you long term. Would you rather have an A+ talent for 10 years that has to take the first year off, or a B+ talent in a current position of need that will play right away, but has reached their ceiling? I think you make the argument either way, but if your building a team for the long term, You only get so many shots at A+ talent, and you have to take them when you can. Almost 50% of 1st rounders bust, but if you always mitigate that risk by trading back, you will always have really good players but no elite players. You need some elite players to win in this league. So, sometimes you need to flip that coin.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #71
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
If he becomes a superstar then the pick was well worth the wait and he will help in 2017.

Also it is working becuase the team is no longer a bottom feeder, like in 13 and 14. There are several drafted players tbat are contributing.
Such low standards. Are they ever going to the Superbowl again ?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #72
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

With the 17th pick I want defense, we need the help. Please
don't pick McCaffrey.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #73
MTK
\m/

Bitching about Doctson not being a superstar in year one is like complaining about not getting laid on a first date.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #74
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Bitching about Doctson not being a superstar in year one is like complaining about not getting laid on a first date.
Excellent analogy.

Bitching about Doctson's lack of performance in year one also exposes the shortsightedness of the mindset around need-based drafting.

Moaning draft bust after one year of a five year rookie contract makes no sense.

When you hit on players in the draft you get them under cheap contracts for 4 or 5 years. Never limit your opportunity to find these salary cap bargains based on position need. Take them wherever you can get them, and fill your needs in free agency.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #75
mredskins
MVP

I hope we order a Ruben on Thursday.