Super Bowl Week

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #121
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Super Bowl Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
It's a tossup Frenchy, Kupp and Donald were both big reasons why the Rams won. Do they win without both of them having the games they played?

For Donald - I think one thing that gets lost in the sauce for d-linemen is they don't get credit when they're not making plays by being double/triple-teamed all game. Doing that takes away resources for the offense which frees your teammates up on 1 on 1's. And despite all that he still managed to make a few clutch plays at the end of the game. He went to the next level when the stakes were highest. You can make an argument he deserved it - but you can make an equal argument for Kupp.

Do the Rams win it if Stafford and Kupp don't take it to the next level on their last drive? Stafford was out of options - he just kept forcing it to Kupp, and Kupp delivered. The Rams needed every one of his catches to win.

In conclusion I have no beef with Kupp winning it - offensive playmakers are always gonna get more "sexy" votes than d-linemen, even if that lineman is a stud and first ballot HOFer. It's the nature of the beast.
Yeah I have no beef with Kupp winning it either. I'm just a defense first guy and thought those last 2 plays (+ the bullrush sack + the stats only sack) were clutch as F. But rewatching the game I'm just a tad bit less impressed than I was live. He was awesome and very impactful despite the pass protection being designed around him, but he indeed was kept on check more than I remembered... Anyway, could've gone both ways, clutch players being clutch when needed !

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #122
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I'd only seen the last play from the sideline angle, and seeing it form behind made it worse. Given it appears Burrows first read was his 2 WR's on the left, Boyd did himself and his QB no favours. he releases straight into the path of the MLB and get tangled with him. Assuming it's a Levels play and he knows the outside receiver is running the drag he should be running a drag also (reading that he can't beat the MLB) or driving to 10y to pull the MLB off the drag. He does neither and head s straight at the MLB. Because he tangles, the MLB has neutralised him AND is set to pounce on the drag, hence Burrow hesitates. Boyd's a 6 year vet. He should do better especially in the biggest game of his career.
Good call. I focus on the trenches when watching the endzone view.
I think from a playcall standpoint it's interesting, the Rams forced the ball to their elite WR, and had their elite DL make plays to end the game. In the biggest moment of the game, the Bengals called a run to Perine and a pass to somebody not named Ja'Marr Chase... Bit of overthinking IMO. Put the game into your playmakers hands.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #123
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Bengals really should had given the ball to Mixon in the final seconds. What were they thinking by having an injured Burrow trying to run or pass it?!