Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #46
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Listening to beat reporter Michael Phillips this morning...he said the Kevin O'Connell move is extremely significant.

1. Gruden is a lame duck, and O'Connell who is very highly thought of in the Org will hands down be the odds on favorite to replace him...this move is totally with the future of org in mind.

2. Who was down at Senior Bowl scouting QBs? Not Jay Gruden, but O'Connell. O'Connell was extremely active in workouts and observations.

3. Phillips said the Redskins will take a QB with one of their first 2 picks. Its a done deal...the question will be moving up in the first round is very much on the table. It give O'Connell a head start in working with "his guy" right away.
Meanwhile, after this season when Gruden is gone, Bruce Allen will sit quietly in his cave, occasionally peeking his head out to taste the air with his forked tongue, wondering if he can keep sliding under the radar for eternity.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #47
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
This is terrible.
Well...it fits the trend across the country and I do like the fact he is warming up the car. O'Connell is highly thought of in some parts of the league.

The move makes more sense now...

Phillips also briefly talked about McVay...essentially McVay NEVER was gonna be the HC here. Gruden was coming off back to back winning seasons and even if Gruden was fired, McVay would have refused the job because him and Jay are extremely close. McVay too principle to take that job at that time. I thought that was interesting.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #48
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Listening to beat reporter Michael Phillips this morning...he said the Kevin O'Connell move is extremely significant.

1. Gruden is a lame duck, and O'Connell who is very highly thought of in the Org will hands down be the odds on favorite to replace him...this move is totally with the future of org in mind.

2. Who was down at Senior Bowl scouting QBs? Not Jay Gruden, but O'Connell. O'Connell was extremely active in workouts and observations.

3. Phillips said the Redskins will take a QB with one of their first 2 picks. Its a done deal...the question will be moving up in the first round is very much on the table. It give O'Connell a head start in working with "his guy" right away.

I could definitely see going D at 15 and then trading back up to grab a QB in the 1st rd for that 5th year option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #49
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I could definitely see going D at 15 and then trading back up to grab a QB in the 1st rd for that 5th year option

That's a good point...also within that trend of how to build the team quickly on the rookie deal. Of course, you cant bust out wherever you pick in the first, but getting competent play is big.

Look at Jerad Goff...after the KC game this year, he was extremely pedestrian at QB. Forget the Arizona game, leave it out...and he a basic bitch at QB against better competition. He's in the SuperBowl because of the talent around him. Also Mitch Trubisky and Dak Prescott, lamar Jackson....build that running game and defense folks!!!

He Gets Us
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #50
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Well...it fits the trend across the country and I do like the fact he is warming up the car. O'Connell is highly thought of in some parts of the league.

Phillips also briefly talked about McVay...essentially McVay NEVER was gonna be the HC here. Gruden was coming off back to back winning seasons and even if Gruden was fired, McVay would have refused the job because him and Jay are extremely close. McVay too principle to take that job at that time. I thought that was interesting.
I'm not against the idea of O'Connell taking over the reins although, I know very little about him so I honestly have no idea whether this is a good move or not. What I dislike about this notion is how the FO is handling this. If they are determined to fire Gruden then they should just do it right now, instead of making all moves that undermines Gruden's authority in front of those assistant coaches. It belittles Gruden, and how can we really expect assistant coaches to completely respect Gruden's decisions if they all knew Gruden will be gone soon eventually. It is essentially like a married couple where a husband is cheating on his wife and plans to divorce her next year, meanwhile the wife know everything about it and yet the wife is expected to perform her duties as wife until they divorce.

We have to consider effects of this "strategy" in long-term. I cannot imagine any good coaches would want to work under Snyder from now on. But then, I'm making judgment based on what media is reporting so my perspective on this might be off..

The story about McVay showcases McVay's dignity - it is safe to assume McVay learned things from Gruden and he appreciated it, in return, he respected Gruden.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Remember when Jerry hired Garrett to be Phillips' OC, everyone knew that Phillips was gone and the next year the team was in shambles. This is what I expect next year for the Skins
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #52
MTK
\m/

The writing has been on the wall for Gruden for a while now. Whether there's someone waiting in the wings doesn't matter. He's on the hot seat regardless. If he wants to throw a serious wrench in the works go 11-5 next year, win a playoff game, and force Snyder to give him another extension.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #53
MTK
\m/

Chris Cooley details how the 'incredibly bright' Kevin O'Connell could help Redskins offense
Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Listening to Sheehan podcast...didn't see the title til around noon: Kevin O'Connell: Redskins Future Head Coach?

Sheehan saying O'Connell is known as extremely bright and league wide respected...known to be a great communicator. Says O'Connell as a Coaching candidate is definitely "a thing". Offense will have to improve and Jay might be hesitant to give up play calling if Colt is QB.

I think Jay should give up play calling...it needs a spark.

He Gets Us
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #55
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

Unless they were to move all the way up to 1 to get Haskins (and I don't see how they have the ammo to make the move), then there is not a QB worth moving up even one spot for. I don't believe any of the other QB prospects are legitimate first round talents.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #56
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Listening to Sheehan podcast...didn't see the title til around noon: Kevin O'Connell: Redskins Future Head Coach?

Sheehan saying O'Connell is known as extremely bright and league wide respected...known to be a great communicator. Says O'Connell as a Coaching candidate is definitely "a thing". Offense will have to improve and Jay might be hesitant to give up play calling if Colt is QB.

I think Jay should give up play calling...it needs a spark.
We all think that. He needs to adapt the "less is more" mentality, he has too much food on his plate right now.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #57
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

Seems like Phillips is just listening to Kevin Sheehan and JP Finlay and regurgitating what they said earlier this week.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #58
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Unless there is a guy they love that they think they can get later in the draft, this is my preferred option of the ones I think the skins would consider.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #59
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
That's a good point...also within that trend of how to build the team quickly on the rookie deal. Of course, you cant bust out wherever you pick in the first, but getting competent play is big.

Look at Jerad Goff...after the KC game this year, he was extremely pedestrian at QB. Forget the Arizona game, leave it out...and he a basic bitch at QB against better competition. He's in the SuperBowl because of the talent around him. Also Mitch Trubisky and Dak Prescott, lamar Jackson....build that running game and defense folks!!!
Long-term, this seems like a good financial strategy for building a team, too. Elite QBs are just too stinking expensive. Its almost better to have a merely competent QB (who is paid as such) and then spend the teams money surrounding him with talent.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Seems like Phillips is just listening to Kevin Sheehan and JP Finlay and regurgitating what they said earlier this week.
maybe...I saw the Sheehan title from yesterday today, I heard Phillips talk this morning. So last 24 hours? If you dismissing Philips your def making a mistake.

But Phillips is actually at the Superbowl working so...and he stays in contact with those folks.

Plus I don't think anybody been mentioning it here and so I just list my source. which was kinda surprising if it such common knowledge...apparently

I think JP finaly is ok...he's def in-the-know...but I don't like to listen to him, not really a fan. Sheehan has always been great.

He Gets Us