DHall thinks Bill Callahan could get the HC job next year

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #61
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: DHall thinks Bill Callahan could get the HC job next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So the Redskins will ignore the Rooney rule?
Of course not! They'll just do some perfunctory interviews of minority coaches they have no intention of hiring.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #62
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
A lot of Steeler fans would welcome his jettison. Most fans think he is a dud and only won his Superbowl because he inherited Cowler's team. If he is so so in a well run organization like Pittsburg there is no way MT could succeed here.
How is 126-70-1 a so-so record? On the other hand I compiled the records of coaches under Snyder and compared them to what they did in the NFL away from Snyder. Their under Snyder win percentage was 70% of what it was without him. That would turn Tomlin into a 7-9 coach here. Gruden may not have been as bad as his record indicated.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #63
SunnySide
Playmaker

One criticism of Gruden during his five-plus seasons was he was too lenient on players and didn't adequately prepare them for games. Far more goes into the Redskins' 0-5 start, but Callahan appears eager to crack the whip and put a focus on accountability.

Part of that is cutting down on penalties after 45 accepted for 331 yards in the first five weeks significantly contributed to the team's worst start since 2001. Callahan put a call into the NFL office to find some local college officials being groomed for the pro game and hopes their presence at practice transfers over to the game Sunday at the similarly winless Miami Dolphins and beyond.

Callahan said a segment of practice centered on the first play of a drive. The sprints were meant to improve conditioning as drives and games wear on.

Even before team work, every drill went quicker than under Gruden. That emphasis wasn't lost on players.

''It was definitely a more up-tempo practice, faster practice, more plays than last time,'' defensive lineman and team captain Jonathan Allen said.

''Guys didn't have a problem with it,'' Allen said. ''He's a very passionate, energetic coach who's going to bring the physicality every day. That's what kind of team we're going to be on Sunday.''

Callahan gave more snaps to rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins even after ruling out the first-round pick from starting at Miami. He refused to name a starter between Case Keenum and Colt McCoy, citing health concerns, though each was a full participant in the first practice of the Callahan era.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/redskin...9815--nfl.html

Nice little article on practice under Callahan. I like the changes. Jay was too soft and perhaps you cant be 70's NFL with modern players now but Jay was too soft.

Surprised we didnt have refs in practice before. Maybe that was a budget issue bc I know Jay brought refs in during the PS to help w penalties.

---------------

I looked for an article on whether the Pats use refs during the week in the regular season and came across this lengthy but good article on how Pats practices are fast, intense and they go over and over minut details like in a 2 min drill they are drilled to sprint the ball to the ref instead of tossing it to him bc he might drop it etc ..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...311_story.html
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #64
metalskins
The Starter

I will say that Bill Callahan seems more like a real NFL coach with his approach than Jay Gruden. Don't get me wrong, I liked Jay and thought he'd eventually right the ship. But in the end, the type of coach this team really needs is a Schottenheimer/Coughlin disciplinarian. Someone that would even make Daniel Snyder and Bruce Allen sit up straight in their chairs.

It may suck for the players, but I want to see so much fear and respect out of those players for this type of head coach, that they'll beg for forgiveness when they commit a penalty. Man, how I wished Snyder had given Schottenheimer another chance.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #65
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I like Callahan so far....people sight his 4-12 season in Oakland the year after they lost SB 37. He lost the locker room the next season because of selfish players on that team that turned against one another. All I know is Callahan is a breath of fresh air from Gruden. And he's 1-0 as the interim HC of the Redskins. If Callahan does what Gibbs did in 1981 and what Marty did in 2001 after the team started 0-5 then he deserves the head coaching job.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #66
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Bruce is going nowhere so that means Callahan may be the best that we can do. I like what i see so far, but need to see more of it against quality NFL teams. It is hard to gauge how much improvement Callahan is when we were going up against the NFL's worst team, who we still struggled against Sunday.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #67
Dontspeak
Camp Scrub

I don't see any significant-named coaches interested in taking the job. I fear we're stuck with Callahan next year.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
Dontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #68
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I wouldn't hate Mike Tomlin, because I think he has a strong enough personality to ask and get Bruce Allen to be stuck to stadium/business only operations and kept away from anything even remotely close to football stuff.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #69
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Also, I'm not surprised that all the new stuffs Bill brought at practice didn't make a huge difference: all it does it highlight how pathetic a coach Jay was... (music, snapchat, no sprints, no refs despite being the most penalized team etc... this is commonsense...).
Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #70
Warthog
The Starter

Callahan May well be the new HC. That allows Snyder and his lackey Bruce Allen to stay involved in the running of the team.

Bringing in a NFL savvy HC like a Tomlin means that he will want to greatly restrict control of personnel decision by Snyder and ESPECIALLY by the buffoon, BA.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #71
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Also, I'm not surprised that all the new stuffs Bill brought at practice didn't make a huge difference: all it does it highlight how pathetic a coach Jay was... (music, snapchat, no sprints, no refs despite being the most penalized team etc... this is commonsense...).
I think you have to give it more than a week.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #72
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I think you have to give it more than a week.
You're right. My point is I don't think it's extraordinary stuff, what's amazing is that it wasn't enforced under Jay...

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #73
Warthog
The Starter

I don't see any competent HC candidate, from the NFL (outside this franchise) coming to this team. Working for the Bruce Allen / Dan Snyder combination is a losing proposition - as eight other HC have found. That leaves coaches on this team right now. Either Callahan or O'Connell are the only real candidates.

Callahan will be better than Gruden but with BA/Snyder making personnel decisions the team will be handicapped heavily. No real change in the record - around a .425 level, third or fourth in the NFC East year to year. No new stadium. We need a clean 0-16 record to see the end of BA or for Snyder to give up control.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #74
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

So if Miami converts a single play, 2 point conversion...are we having this conversation? Callahan would be another signal: nothing is changing and nothing ever will.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #75
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I don't see any competent HC candidate, from the NFL (outside this franchise) coming to this team. Working for the Bruce Allen / Dan Snyder combination is a losing proposition - as eight other HC have found. That leaves coaches on this team right now. Either Callahan or O'Connell are the only real candidates.

Callahan will be better than Gruden but with BA/Snyder making personnel decisions the team will be handicapped heavily. No real change in the record - around a .425 level, third or fourth in the NFC East year to year. No new stadium. We need a clean 0-16 record to see the end of BA or for Snyder to give up control.
It's been said by many people around the NFL that 0-16 is in no way a guarantee that Bruce would be fired. And one of the biggest reasons that so many fans are leaving and not coming back is due to the fact that they know Bruce is going nowhere anytime soon. It was mentioned a while back that at some NFL meeting they had in the early summer, Bruce had told reporters that he had hoped to stay in the NFL 3-5 more years, at which point he would think about retiring but he would see where he was then, etc...

So figure at best case scenario, 3 more years of Bruce, worst case 5 years or more as we don't know what Dan is paying him, and Dan could make him a big offer or something to retain him here, so i guess true worst case scenario would be 5+ more years of Bruce. Bruce is in his early 60's, not ancient for NFL GM standards. It is conceivable that he could go 5 more years before calling it a day at around 70 years of age...